autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help!!! Are these Holograms in my paint (2010 Audi S4)? Used FG400 and G21 w/MEGs MF Pad

Hey Guys,

actually have another thread in the show n shine thread. Originally just bought a 2010 Audi S4 prestige black on black with not too many miles. Was planning a full-detail to go from the never touched outside of washed and hand waxed outside to getting the paint as close to new as possible.

I washed with CG citrus wash to strip whatever was there along with tar and iron remover'd the whole car and then used my 'heavier' yellow autoscrub pad on my old school GG 6inch DA.

Things were going great until then. Cars paint felt like butter and I was excited to get started on the polishing. So I heard Audi paint is hard, did some research on here and saw a lot of people had success with Menz FG400 if the paint is in pretty bad shape. Figured the Boss 21 would do serious work on here with Fg400 and Menz MF pads.

I did a test spot on the hood and it looked promising. Well I thought this was the going to be the combo. I did the whole car but started noticing some hazing/holograming??? Am a novice so I am a bit overwhelmed. Was hoping with how hard this paint is, FG 400 would leave it LSP ready!

I was originally going to do the whole car today again possibly with a second polish to see if that helps. I have Menz 2500, Menz 4500 and just bought HD speed. What are you experts thoughts on what to use next and pad combo?

Pics of the hazing.

And also discovered this tiny bit of rust in the fenders....how bad is this? Will I need to repaint the whole fender? Or can it be saved? This really bummed me out.

Thanks in advance!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help!!! Are these Holograms in my paint (2010 Audi S4)? Used FG400 and G21 w/MEGs MF Pad

Can’t make holograms with a DA your probably seeing Mf Hazing follow up with white pad and finish polish to clean that up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help!!! Are these Holograms in my paint (2010 Audi S4)? Used FG400 and G21 w/MEGs MF Pad

You should be good after you come back with full polish. Start with the 4000, see if it goes away. What pad you got?

How many MF pads did you use on the first cut?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean the 4500? I only have that, not 4000.

I used 3 MF pads for the whole car but kept them clean as I could with my compressor/compressed air.

For the 4500, my pad options are these two.

Or should I use a thicker pad? Have those too.

And here's a pic today, outside. I see the 'hologram' effect all over the car

Post Thanks / Like

4500 with the white pad

7. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, before you chalk it up as a fail you must polish. The white pads and your 4500. Let us know
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any rust in the fenders. Just dirty felt liners and a pitted fender edge. That's normal wear and tear. To avoid that, you'd need to install PPF on that fender edge.

Mike Phillips

Just to note,

The word hologram is specific to the scratch pattern imparted into paint by the use of a rotary buffer. You cannot put holograms into car paint using any type of orbital polisher.

Orbital polishers put micro-marring into car paint but not holograms.

Also - fibers are a form of abrasives. If you use a microfiber pad, the fibers CUT the paint. Think about it, isn't this why everyone uses microfiber pads to do a better job of removing defects? Another way of saying removing defects is say,

Removing paint

In other words, microfiber pads do a better job of removing paint because they do a better job of CUTTING the paint than foam pads. This cutting shows up as micro-marring when you use a microfiber pad on an orbital polishers. If you put the same microfiber pad on a rotary it would then put in holograms.

Clear as mud?

To the OP - simply re-polish using a foam pad.

11. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike!

That's the plan and thanks for the quick breakdown.

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo...I tried to knock it out this past weekend. I gave her a wash...but when I brought her out in the light to do an inspection of the paint after FG400 and Megs MF pad from last week...the whole paint looked like this. I did a test portion on the door using the 4500 and with the white foam pad and it did nothing.

I am a newb...are these RIDS? Should the FG400 and MF pad not have taken these out? They're really bad on the hood, but they're all over the car.

The paint looks amazing 90% of the time, but when you hit it in direct sunlight you see this all over the car. It's not super noticeable... Pic below adjusted to show the scratches as best as I can. Paint looks awesome though (for most part).

Anyway, I said I had enough for now. Felt defeated haha. So I said it looks good for what I am looking for and will pick up probably in the spring. I am happy to where it is now compared to where it was. Looks a ton better...but these little scratches (spiderwebbing?) sucks when I see it in the right light.

I finished it off with Menz Powerlock for the winter and will probably just do waterless washes from this point forward. Getting cold around here.

Thoughts?

14. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast