autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: applying ceramic for the first time,

You want to do Trix before claying and polishing. So you can do that before they get your car. Just make sure to wash it after applying and before taking your car in for polishing.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

And $270 for polishing and coating is way too cheap. You can bet it’s half a$$ work.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    You want to do Trix before claying and polishing. So you can do that before they get your car. Just make sure to wash it after applying and before taking your car in for polishing.
    It's funny uve mentioned that. The car Mostly got ceramic coat on top installed 3 years ago and still looks mirror like.

Since it got the coating and was installed professionally and fully decontaminated beforehand
    Is it necessary to redecontaminate after removing the old coat or can I fully decontaminate the car my own then take it to get polished ?...

Another question, is it guaranteed not to introduce high spots when using those special microfiber towels recommended to me ?? Any chance a newbie like me will mess up the job if I settle to use the Original cquartz (I never got the lite version delivered to me unfortunately).

Lastly, any work around buying 30$ MF towels from autogeek and throwing them away into trash after applying and the coating ?? Can I buff off with the towels slightly moist, keep them damp in a water bucket after use and take them to the washing machine latter on to clean them off and reuse for other detailing tasks ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jojokoko View Post
    It's funny uve mentioned that. The car Mostly got ceramic coat on top installed 3 years ago and still looks mirror like.

Since it got the coating and was installed professionally and fully decontaminated beforehand
    Is it necessary to redecontaminate after removing the old coat or can I fully decontaminate the car my own then take it to get polished ?...

Another question, is it guaranteed not to introduced high spots when using those special microfiber towels recommended to me ?? Any chance a newbie like me will mess up the job if I settle to use the Original cquartz (I never got the lite version delivered to me unfortunately).

Lastly, any work around buying 30$ MF towels from autogeek and throwing them away into trash after applying and the coating ?? Can I buff off with the towels slightly moist, keep them damp in a water bucket after use and take them to the washing machine latter on to clean them off and reuse for other detailing tasks ??

Yes you’ll need 4-5 for coating removal I used the 245 gsm rag company towels. I used 350gsm’s one to polish. Used 4 of those. The one’s you use for 2nd buff can be washed and re used. Just to try I soaked one I used for removal in snappy clean and washed with griots MF and pad cleaner and it’s just fine. You can buy in 10 packs if you wanna have extra or buy single from autogeek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Another question, is it guaranteed not to introduce high spots when using those special microfiber towels recommended to me ?? Any chance a newbie like me will mess up the job if I settle to use the Original cquartz (I never got the lite version delivered to me unfortunately).

You should decontaminate. 3 years is a lot of time letting new contaminants land on the car.
    Only technique and good lighting are a guarantee to not have high spots. No towel will give you that certainty.
    For coating removal you want low GSM towels and several of them. I’d say about 3 or 4 towels per layer of coating. The secret is to use and then immediately soak them in a bucket with APC/MF cleaner and then once done wash them all. No need to throw them out. Just inspect them after the wash to make sure there are no hardened areas. My favorite coating towel is Gyeon Bald Wipe but it’s not cheap. I have some from Rag Company (I think 300 GSM, light grey ones) and they’re fine but not as nice as the Gyeon towel.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I

There is no guarantee that even using the most angelic towels sent from heaven, you won't leave a high spot. Be sure to buff off/level a bit past the section you're working on. When I started mucking around with this stuff, I'd always forget that and end up with high spots from me pushing coating from a just applied panel to the adjacent panel and not cleaning it up sufficiently.

I've immediately sent coating towels to a bucket of water filled w/ APC or similar (sometimes !GASP! Dawn dishwashing liquid) and not had too many problems. I just grab a 10-pack of Eagle Edgeless 300's now for $14 from Rag Company and toss when done....safer, easier and at the end of the day, saving $14 ain't worth the risk of screwing something up by re-using the towels. YMMV.

Start in a door jamb or other inconspicuous area to get the 'timing' down on apply/remove and go from there. You'll soon get in a groove and be moving right along...just watch those section edges when removing and you'll likely be fine, not rocket science and if a half-blind, impatient idiot like I can do it, anyone can.

7. Likes jojokoko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the high spots thing is it associated with the Lite CarPro too ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    There is no guarantee that even using the most angelic towels sent from heaven, you won't leave a high spot. Be sure to buff off/level a bit past the section you're working on. When I started mucking around with this stuff, I'd always forget that and end up with high spots from me pushing coating from a just applied panel to the adjacent panel and not cleaning it up sufficiently.

I've immediately sent coating towels to a bucket of water filled w/ APC or similar (sometimes !GASP! Dawn dishwashing liquid) and not had too many problems. I just grab a 10-pack of Eagle Edgeless 300's now for $14 from Rag Company and toss when done....safer, easier and at the end of the day, saving $14 ain't worth the risk of screwing something up by re-using the towels. YMMV.

Start in a door jamb or other inconspicuous area to get the 'timing' down on apply/remove and go from there. You'll soon get in a groove and be moving right along...just watch those section edges when removing and you'll likely be fine, not rocket science and if a half-blind, impatient idiot like I can do it, anyone can.
    so basically high spots happen when you forget to buff off completely from a certain area ? that seems like a small task TBH ! unfortunately i dont have a machine polisher, i have a cordless drill not sure if that can help polishing high spots area or not !...

Can you wipe off with a towel wet with water ? it makes removing this stuff easier ! have you tried this ?

thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

the high spots thing is it associated with the Lite CarPro too ?
    Yes but it has a larger window where they can be removed without resorting to polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

so basically high spots happen when you forget to buff off completely from a certain area ? that seems like a small task TBH ! unfortunately i dont have a machine polisher, i have a cordless drill not sure if that can help polishing high spots area or not !...

Can you wipe off with a towel wet with water ? it makes removing this stuff easier ! have you tried this ?

thanks,
    By 'buff off', not referring to any machine work just using a towel to remove 'flashed' coating. Applying a coating involves no machines. There was one coating I've used that recommended a damp towel to aid in removal, have heard of a few folks doing this but I never have.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast