autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dirt on headliner?

Looking for some advice to remove dirt from a headliner. Loaded the car up with sod and while I thought I was careful not to load it too high, I apparently hit the roof in a couple spots.

I'd tackle it with an APC or something but am concerned I would just make mud and create a bigger stain. Is an extractor what I need here? First I'll just brush it when dry and see how much comes out. Any experience would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dirt on headliner?

I've used a Microfiber towel with some apc with great results everytime however the one time I used an extractor I ended have to reglue the headliner. Luckily it was my own vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Headliners need to be attaced very carefully,it's very easy for the glue to loosen or even stretch the material. 1st I'd try to lightly spray with an apc them use a damp cloth to soak up the dirt

Post Thanks / Like

You don't want to spread the dirt or set it into the fabric. Work outside of the dirt, into the dirt. After you semi-lightly knock off as much as you can with a microfiber (Once again working into the dirt so you don't spread it.), I would work it with a horsehair brush ( If you don't have one of these, do you have a shoe brush?). Once again take the brush action into the stain.

As a first wet assault, I would tamp using a tamper ( or a brush if that's all you have - preferably something like this TUF SHINE Tire Brush). I would lightly dampen (probably with a sprayer) a doubled over white cotton cloth. Spray in the center, leaving the outer parts of the cloth dry (you want a fade). Place the cloth on the stain and tamp.

That should get a lot of it. Use a microfiber to lightly blot the remainder out.

Make sure you use a quality cleaner.

Note: This is all based on the assumption that you don't have a steamer. I do and would use it for the blot step and if the stain was light enough, in place of the tamp step.

Post Thanks / Like

You put sod inside the car?

{And all this time I thought
    that it goes on the outside. }

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes PaulMys, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    {And all this time I thought
    that it goes on the outside. }

Bob

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia ...

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how many AGO members (re: OCD) would load their rides up with sod.

You sir, need a truck.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a horrible experience with headliner I would clean it then when it was drying it called wicking when the the action of natural slow drying bring the grim from with in to the tip of the fibers again. I clean this whole headliner 3 times and every time when I finished it was clean as a whistle but after drying dirt appeared again. I went down the rabbit hole figuring reading about wicking and professional carpet cleaning products and methods. I found this product it was a special polymer that made the fibers slippery so when drying the dirt could be pulled up or down the strand of fiber. Only problem was the car had to go back the next day. The third time I cleaned it I finished by misting pretty strong mixture of onr on headliner the rubbed it in with brush and I have been doing that on every detail since it also helps to balance ph.

Loading the interior of a car up sod LMAO

Post Thanks / Like

My method for cleaning headliner, and the only way I’d recommend to do it is to use Folex.
    I would never use a steamer or extractor. Nor do you really want to be scrubbing with anything for as long as it would take to get results..

Start with your dry prep/cleaning 1st i.e. vacuuming/dry brushing, then spray Folex @full strength and simply follow the directions which tell you to spray, then lightly and quikly work the product into the fabric with your hand [I always wear nitrile gloves] and without letting the product dwell simply wipe/mop up the dirt/stain with a clean absorbent towel [cotton terry or microfiber. Whichever you prefer. I go with cotton terry 95% of the time] I guarantee you it’ll do a better job than a steamer would ever do without introducing the unnecessary heat and moisture.

As long as you follow the directions on the label it’ll work just like it says.. The most important thing is that you never ever scrub Folex with a brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My method for cleaning headliner, and the only way I’d recommend to do it is to use Folex.
    I would never use a steamer or extractor. Nor do you really want to be scrubbing with anything for as long as it would take to get results..

Start with your dry prep/cleaning 1st i.e. vacuuming/dry brushing, then spray Folex @full strength and simply follow the directions which tell you to spray, then lightly and quikly work the product into the fabric with your hand [I always wear nitrile gloves] and without letting the product dwell simply wipe/mop up the dirt/stain with a clean absorbent towel [cotton terry or microfiber. Whichever you prefer. I go with cotton terry 95% of the time] I guarantee you it’ll do a better job than a steamer would ever do without introducing the unnecessary heat and moisture.

As long as you follow the directions on the label it’ll work just like it says.. The most important thing is that you never ever scrub Folex with a brush.
    Yup, was about to also say Folex, it's amazing and easy to use.

BTW it's only found at Home Depot from what I've seen.

13. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post