autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Iron-X in a rinseless wash situation?

Has anyone tried this and how well did it work? If hosing off the car is not an option and only rinseless washing is possible, can Iron-X be used and then rinseless washed off?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Iron-X in a rinseless wash situation?

Is it possible there’s a nearby DIY
    car wash facility at which you could
    perform the IronX decon process?

If not:
    Same “rules” apply. Here, IMO, are
    two of the more important ones:

1.) Make sure IronX’s dwell-time is held to
    specified recommendation.

2.) Make sure to thoroughly rinse away every
    single bit of IronX’ed residues from all of the
    vehicle’s surfaces—Of course it’ll be harder to
    do with a RW.

Don’t forget the emblems, trim, door handles,
    etc.; or, as the Yardbirds once intoned:

”Over under sideways down,
    Backwards forwards square and round.”

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I myself would say no, I wouldn't advise it, and best plan is mentioned above by the previous poster. A coin-op spray wash if you have one in your area.

Firstly, this stuff stinks to high heaven. To have it possibly hang around for any length of time might be unbearable fragrance-wise.

Two, without being able to fully rinse this product away from little nooks, cracks and crannies might also be detrimental. Having used this product a few times, I've seen it bleed for a very long time, where copious amounts of water were needed to fully flush.

Purple residues were still coming out from many areas for numerous minutes of heavy flushing-rinsing.
    My theory was to continue flushing and rinsing till I no longer seen it.

And even doing this outdoors, I could smell this stuff outside 2 weeks later!

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in,

Half my forum work is simply remembering all the cars I've worked on over the last 10 years....

Hang tight...

5. Likes RZJZA80 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here you go....

From 2015

Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find

My good friend Jim Serra bought himself a Christmas present for himself from his wife. The funny part is he hasn't told his wife! Before she sees it in its current dirty and neglected condition I'm going to shine it up for him and then put a pretty Christmas ribbon and bow on it for the reveal.

This car is all original and a fresh barn find out of Minnesota. It has 56,545 miles on it. It's just now broken in!

Here she is right off the car hauler from Minnesota!

The dealership told Jim that normally they wash the cars and have them detailed before they put them up for sale but for this car they just left her alone. (Good thing for Jim)

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes RZJZA80 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

Just a pre-warning
    It's not recommended to use Iron X without rinsing the residue off. So for best results, always fallow the manufacturer's directions.

That said, I used a modified technique of using a HEAVY saturation of Detailer's Pro Series Waterless Wash to wash off the residue as I worked around the car. I also used the Tornado Air Blowout Gun WITH a heavy saturation of Detailer's Pro Series Waterless Wash around any trim or emblems to flush the component with waterless wash and then blast out the residue.

Process

Step 1 - Chemically decontaminate the car
    I used a modified technique for Iron X because I wanted to make sure any iron contamination is removed. I sprayed down the body panels with Iron X starting with horizontal panels first and then after they were rinsed clean I moved onto the vertical panels only tackling one side at a time.

Step 2 - Wash car using DP Waterless Auto Wash
    For this I used a super heavy saturation with LOTS of clean microfiber towels to liquefy the Iron X and wipe it plus any and all dirt off the body panels.

Step 3 - Mechanically decontaminate the paint
    For this we used the Porter Cable 7424XP with Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads (Medium Grade) and Detailer's Pro Series Universal Clay Lube

Step 4 - Compound paint using SONAX CUTMAX
    For this step we used the SONAX CUTMAX with the Flex 3401 on Speed 6 with 6.5" Lake Country Hybrid Orange Cutting Pads.

Step 5 - Machine polish and wax using SONAX PAINT CLEANER HYBRID NPT
    Next we used the SONAX PAINT CLEANER which is not technically a dedicated paint cleaner but a hi-tech cleaner/sealant.

A cleaner/sealant is like a cleaner/wax in that it will clean, polish and protect in one step only instead of using some type of natural wax ingredient for protection it uses some type of synthetic ingredients for protection.

Rob McCrary at SONAX USA told me that the SONAX PAINT CLEANER had the cutting ability of SONAX Profiline Nano Polish. So this should remove any haze left by the aggressive compounding step while leaving the paint clear, glossy, rich in color and also protected.

For the exterior glass, chrome and stainless steel trim I simply ran over these surfaces using the orange Hybrid cutting pad with the SONAX CUTMAX.

Hubcaps and tires were wiped clean using an all purpose cleaner.

Now on to the pictures...

9. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

Steps 1 & 2 were done at the same time as I worked around the various body panels on the car.

Step 1 - Chemically decontaminate the car
    I used a modified technique for Iron X because I wanted to make sure any iron contamination is removed. I sprayed down the body panels with Iron X starting with horizontal panels first and then after they were rinsed clean I moved onto the vertical panels only tackling one side at a time.

Step 2 - Wash car using DP Waterless Auto Wash
    For this I used a super heavy saturation with LOTS of clean microfiber towels to liquefy the Iron X and wipe it plus any and all dirt off the body panels.

This is me saturating the roof with a very wet coat of DP Waterless Wash. This is taking the place of a normal water hose flush. This car does not have working brakes so I can't easily move it in and out of the garage.

I still wanted to chemically decontaminate the paint however so I used this modified technique of using lots of waterless wash to flush the surface and then immediately wipe the residues off the car. And "yes" this technique worked for me. Follow my process at your own judgment.

Clean as a whistle!

Then simply move around the car tackling the vertical panels one at a time.

11. Thanks Diner, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes RZJZA80, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

Finished!

Here's the after shots or what I like to call the beauty shots! Near as we can tell this is the original factory paint.

There's a million ways to skin a cat... sometimes you just have to think outside the box...

Full write-up here,

Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find

And I'm so glad I take these pictures - it shows how many pads I used and this is my way of showing others how many pads it takes to do a proper buff job.

Also - see the bottle of Iron X?

More pads are gooder

13. Likes RZJZA80 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

The real key to using any Iron Remover without access to running water via a garden hose or even a Coin-op Car Wash is to use LOTS of Rinseless Wash or in my example above, I used lots of Waterless Wash.

The below is from post #3 from the above write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

This is me saturating the roof with a very wet coat of DP Waterless Wash. This is taking the place of a normal water hose flush. This car does not have working brakes so I can't easily move it in and out of the garage.

I still wanted to chemically decontaminate the paint however so I used this modified technique of using lots of waterless wash to flush the surface and then immediately wipe the residues off the car. And "yes" this technique worked for me. Follow my process at your own judgment.

So lots of rinseless or waterless wash and lots of drying towels.

Hope that helps...

15. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I miss the Old DP lineup. Some great products PRICED really well.
    Jim

17. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast