autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove BF Tire and Trim Sealant from Tires

I'm about to start applying Optimum Tire Coating this weekend and I assume that I need to remove/strip the BF Tire and Trim Sealant for the coating to adhere to the tire. The last time I applied the sealant was a couple of weeks ago and I've started trying to clean the sealant off but I'm not sure if it's removed or if I'm making any progress. When I wipe the tires with a mf cloth, very little dirt comes off and the cloth is moderately clean.

How will I know when it's alright to apply the coating?

Thank you
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove BF Tire and Trim Sealant from Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I'm about to start applying Optimum Tire Coating this weekend and I assume that I need to remove/strip the BF Tire and Trim Sealant for the coating to adhere to the tire. The last time I applied the sealant was a couple of weeks ago and I've started trying to clean the sealant off but I'm not sure if it's removed or if I'm making any progress. When I wipe the tires with a mf cloth, very little dirt comes off and the cloth is moderately clean.

How will I know when it's alright to apply the coating?

Thank you
    Jay
    Tire should look dull black with no beading or browning.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently, they are not that(!) but they're not shiny either. Looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me this weekend. Thank you for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Use one of those stiff bristled tire brushes (or the attachment for DA or drill) and get some tire cleaner. Speed Master has a decent hand one. The PBMG ones will foam only white (no brown) when the tire is totally clean. If you don’t have any of these, an APC on strong 1:4 dilution could also work but I guess it’s harsher on tires. They still clean well.

I’m not sure how picky the tire coating is but keep scrubbing until you only see soap.... zero brown/dirt. Scrub, rinse, scrub again, etc. It took me about 20-30mibs per tire ping this process to remove a years worth of weekly tire gel, but that time included rinsing and breaks. Not fun work but not too awful and the coating afterwards (mine was Mckees) makes it all worth it.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    It took me about 20-30mibs per tire ping .
    I didn't know you spoke Klingon!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I didn't know you spoke Klingon!
    Only with an iPhone as my secret decoder.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Use one of those stiff bristled tire brushes (or the attachment for DA or drill) and get some tire cleaner. Speed Master has a decent hand one. The PBMG ones will foam only white (no brown) when the tire is totally clean. If you don’t have any of these, an APC on strong 1:4 dilution could also work but I guess it’s harsher on tires. They still clean well.

I’m not sure how picky the tire coating is but keep scrubbing until you only see soap.... zero brown/dirt. Scrub, rinse, scrub again, etc. It took me about 20-30mibs per tire ping this process to remove a years worth of weekly tire gel, but that time included rinsing and breaks. Not fun work but not too awful and the coating afterwards (mine was Mckees) makes it all worth it.
    Thank you very much! I've washed the tires a couple of times since application and I do not have any browning coming from the tires but I would assume that's from the sealant sealing the tire itself? I did clean them pretty well prior to the sealant but it sounds like a lot of work this weekend!

The proper Klingon translation for 30 minutes is 30 tup, you need to re-calibrate your iphone translator otherwise Capt. Kirk and the Federation will find your ship and destroy you, your crew, and your ship!

10. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much! I've washed the tires a couple of times since application and I do not have any browning coming from the tires but I would assume that's from the sealant sealing the tire itself? I did clean them pretty well prior to the sealant but it sounds like a lot of work this weekend!
    Yeah you may still be scrubbing the sealant if you don’t feel much friction and if the water and soap is sort of beading/sheeting away as you scrub. In other words, it won’t quite feel like your brush is contacting the rubber itself. Try working on a small area to see if you keep scrubbing, will the friction with the brush change? Then you know it was sealant still.

If the sealant is still there tight now, chances are it’s worked very well and there isn’t much dirt underneath, so stay positive.

Post Thanks / Like

The Blackfire Tire & Trim Sealant is designed to penetrate deep inside the rubber for months of durable protection. I would use a low profile tire brush with the Pinnacle Black Label Gel Tire Cleaner multiple times to make sure the Blackfire Trim & Tire Sealant has been stripped properly.

Pinnacle Black Label Gel Tire Cleaner - 8 oz.
    Low Profile Tire Brush

Post Thanks / Like

The proper Klingon translation for 30 minutes is 30 tup, you need to re-calibrate your iphone translator otherwise Capt. Kirk and the Federation will find your ship and destroy you, your crew, and your ship!
    Spock: "By the Book, Captain, we will remove the Klingon tire gel in 3 days...By the Book"
    Kirk: "Sulu, it's been 3 hours, let's go back and check if the tire gel is removed"
    Bones: "But you said it would take 3 days Jim!!!"
    Spock: "Doctor, I think you should familiarize yourself with the "by the book" code phrase".

Sorry...couldn't resist...

14. Likes Jayfro, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast