autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't waxed after purchasing car is it ok????

So it's been 3.5 months since I purchased my car and there was wax on it but after weekly washing (foam gun/pressure wash, two bucket method), I'm certain the wax has been stripped. Also recently been using chemical guys wax stripping wash so definetly gone. However, each time I wash, I spray meguiars quick wax because I just didn't have time to do the whole, clay, ironx, polish and wax as it's been on the backburner.

I garage my car daily and probally drive it 3x a week. Live in Pacific northwest where air is good but rains a lot.

So question is if I put meguiars quick wax each time I was and the conditions its at right now, will I be ok until i have time to clay,ironx, polish wax etc??

4 months passed so i gotta get protected more! lol

I was thinking of having someone do this which I could but feel it will be fun learning process and hobby to do myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Haven't waxed after purchasing car is it ok????

It is fine.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Newcarsmell View Post

I garage my car daily and probally drive it 3x a week. Live in Pacific northwest where air is good but rains a lot.
    I'm originally from Oregon, so I hear you on the rain aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcarsmell View Post

So question is if I put meguiars quick wax each time I was and the conditions its at right now, will I be ok until i have time to clay,ironx, polish wax etc??

Regular washing and waxing is good It's more gooder than doing nothing.

At some point before the heavy rain/snow season sets in, carve out a day to do the full detail package.

If you choose to pay someone, make sure they know what they are doing. Ask them what they use for products, like compounds and polishes. There's good and there's bad. Paint is thin, don't let a hack detailer hack up your ride.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mike Phillips;1654520]I'm originally from Oregon, so I hear you on the rain aspect.

Oh Hi Mike!

Well, I got your book and dvd and been slowly reading it too take it in. Material inside is pricecless and book photos are perfect. Only issue I have is that I didn't get it signed when I asked for it lol (nothing personal) lol

As for the rain, I was bit freaking out that how I can be a detailer in Seattle where it rains but noticed the rain here isn't that bad and more clean . So it doesn't deposit like minerals and have harsher stain like it does when using my regular hose. Can you confirm this?

As mentioned, I'll be doing the clay, ironx, polish and wax myself.. So the hack job I need to avoid. Which I should start dabbing into the books and forum more!

I'll be using a da polisher and scratch x 2.0 to polish (not too low or high in the abrasive) as well as orange pads 5 inch ones.. Did a test spot and saw around 80% swirls gone.. Is that good sign?

Ok one thing about the book i wanted to point out the is the book is perfect but the manufacture seems to not glue the pieces strongly and some pieces come out. Maybe i'm doing too many flipping back and forth? I do want it too last it will be the goto manual when I forget.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with suggestions listed above. One note: my M4 was 2 years old before I learned detailing and it survived. But the only reason it survived beyond that and looking sweet was i joined this AG forum,I read Mike’s book and took his class. You get the point, have fun along the way
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my truck in May but it had been on the lot since January, I unfortunately don't have the space or experience to do the extensive prep and detail that some of you all do, so I might be looking for a bi-annual or annual detail service. I'm not sure what the dealers use while on the lot, but the paint and glass were still very hydrophobic. I've been doing a 2 bucket wash every couple weeks at the self wash, followed by Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax (now using Xpress Wax), tried Bead Maker last wash. Like the OP, that's all I've done since purchase. Unlike the OP, my truck is exposed to the elements 24 hrs a day.

What is the down side to just a wash followed by spray "wax"? I was under the impression that these type of products are more durable and can even out last a paste or liquid wax in some cases.

7. Likes superdave592 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDuty View Post
    What is the down side to just a wash followed by spray "wax"? I was under the impression that these type of products are more durable and can even out last a paste or liquid wax in some cases.
    Not so. By a long shot.

Spray waxes are just a maintenance product. As a stand-alone, they have no real protection ability. (Long term).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Not so. By a long shot.

Spray waxes are just a maintenance product. As a stand-alone, they have no real protection ability. (Long term).
    I should have specified, a synthetic spray "wax" like UQW, that is more of a paint sealant compared to a paste or liquid wax that I automatically associate with being a carnuba wax. I was under the impression that the synthetic "wax", in spray or otherwise was more chemical resistant and in some cases, lasts longer than a carnuba wax. Would that be a true statement? I've never used a liquid, wipe on synthetic "wax", but I'm assuming it lasts longer than a synthetic "wax" in spray form. Wouldn't using a synthetic spray "wax" after every wash make up for the lack of longevity while still providing protection? Or is that just simply not enough, and a liquid sealant ("wax") applied every 3-6 months would be superior to a synthetic spray "wax" (sealant) applied after every wash?

Post Thanks / Like

What products do you have now? And where do you live? North? South?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Go with suggestions listed above. One note: my M4 was 2 years old before I learned detailing and it survived. But the only reason it survived beyond that and looking sweet was i joined this AG forum,I read Mike’s book and took his class. You get the point, have fun along the way
    you mean you bought new car and 2 years didn't do much except occasional wash and then you found out what to do and did the works and came out restored? or you bought a car that was 2 years old. Well that gives me much leg room but still can't hold on much longer and put in the time and work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast