autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the heck did the dealer spray on my car

Those lazy bums painted something quick outside of booth and you got paint over spray for free.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd definitely ask the Dealer what the hell did they do to your car to get like this? You "might" get a truthful answer. Notice I say might. 99% of the time, most will likely try to lie their way out of shouldering any responsibility, and deny any such happenings occurred there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Since you say you've coated the car previous to this mishap, you might find claying on the paint to go easier than on the Glass. Unsure what you had on the glass, but likely not as durable and protective as the paint coating.
    Bingo! I was focus on trying to fix the glass first before trying the paint. Today I gave the clay bar a shot on the paint. Where the clay maybe removed 5% of the overspray off the glass, it removed 95% of it off the paint. It took a little more effort than normal clay bar work, but it worked well enough that I think I can clean up the paint to be bearable.

gonna try clay the rest on the weekend, then wash again to see how well the CQUK 3.0 holds up. I’m gonna assume Gliss will be gone.

glass had nothing protecting it.

4. Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    Bingo! I was focus on trying to fix the glass first before trying the paint. Today I gave the clay bar a shot on the paint. Where the clay maybe removed 5% of the overspray off the glass, it removed 95% of it off the paint. It took a little more effort than normal clay bar work, but it worked well enough that I think I can clean up the paint to be bearable.

gonna try clay the rest on the weekend, then wash again to see how well the CQUK 3.0 holds up. I’m gonna assume Gliss will be gone.

Very good to hear. As mentioned above, some glass cleaner and a razor blade should clear up the glass.

I'd still pitch a b!tch at that dealer. At the very least you may be able save the next poor guy from the same hell you experienced......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes vincec, oneheadlite, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you've made some progress.

I know others have suggested Razor Blades on the glass, and while such might work quickly, I'd also be apprehensive to trying a fast way out. Can Razor Blades scratch and damage Glass? I myself would rather not find out the hard way. Same with 0000 Steel Wool, not the best choice either IMO.

I know in the olden days, I used to be able to buy Brass Razor Blades, a wax factory that catered to professional detailers used to have these, but not sure if they are made anymore? Brass being a softer metal is less prone to scratch the Glass.

Harsh chemicals might be another way, I might be inclined to carefully try Denatured Alcohol on an Applicator (wear Nitrile Gloves) for kicks and see what the results are? Otherwise I would then perhaps rely on Claying.

The hardest areas of all possibly if they are contaminated might be any-all Plastic Trim, and Rubber. Things like Headlight-Tail Light Lenses, which can scratch and be damaged very easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Can Razor Blades scratch and damage Glass?
    In my opinion, no. Not if used in a gentle manor with a lubricant such as glass cleaner.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    In my opinion, no. Not if used in a gentle manor with a lubricant such as glass cleaner.
    Yeah, I'm aware that Single Edge Razor Blades have been used for eons for such uses, and is the common choice for painters, glass shops, detailers. Agreed, and if you must, use some form of liquid, a glass cleaner, a detailing spray, or waterless wash to help as a lubricant.

Strop the blade first on a piece of leather to remove any slight ragged micro-burrs first would be a good idea.

I know especially with the Windshield, nasty glass with overspray will be hell in the rain and on Wiper Blades.

As something I might add, I might even try something like Rain-X as well as a cleaner. This stuff can cut some nasties, and might cut the overspray? I'd say worth a try.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try 0000 steel wool on the glass or a glass polish and a Rayon pad. If you are not happy with the paint, perhaps you can try a light polish on a test spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you've made some progress.

I know others have suggested Razor Blades on the glass, and while such might work quickly, I'd also be apprehensive to trying a fast way out. Can Razor Blades scratch and damage Glass? I myself would rather not find out the hard way. Same with 0000 Steel Wool, not the best choice either IMO.

The hardest areas of all possibly if they are contaminated might be any-all Plastic Trim, and Rubber. Things like Headlight-Tail Light Lenses, which can scratch and be damaged very easily.
    thanks. I may rail on the dealer to fix the glass, now that I can deal with the paint I hope. If they scratch the glass they can replace it.

for the trim, I have not tried yet, but it was all coated with DLUx. Hopefully that helps like CQUK is helping the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Where the clay maybe removed 5% of the overspray off the glass, it removed 95% of it off the paint.
    Glad to hear that. I've been stressed on your behalf about this! I hope the rest turns out well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast