autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearcoat issue

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearcoat issue

Clearcoat issue-877921f8-7168-4586-af22-5e2267925b10-jpgSo my rear passenger door was worked on by last owner. There was a spot of where paint chipped and rusted. They halfassedly just painted that one area and added regular clear to
    tje spot. I’ve been attempting to paint correct I t myself and had gotten it to point where it looked decent. It had shine and gloss but you could tell where work was done. Today I was working on it with new polisher I got a 15mm long throw and using microfiber pad and 3D one I was working it some more. It looks like I cut through the lousy clear
    they added and got down to original clear on car or I burnt through the clear. In the pics there
    is a hazy like area that wasn’t there before. It doesn’t feel like I went through clear and there’s an awesome
    mirrow finish on door now that wasn’t there before. Please advise? What’s going on here? I’ve been trying to cut through it and see if the darker color and shine like bottom part
    xomes through. Clearcoat issue-c23a5f25-75a2-47f4-af2c-4f854d074a18-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoat issue

Clearcoat issue-f35a8aa7-d473-41a0-a83f-b3d97a7b61b2-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clearcoat issue-c7354ac3-dc70-44a2-b047-55cb423b3852-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I think the MF pad was too much for whatever repair they did and 86'd what was left of the clear...

I've also seen where too much heat can create a haze/blemish area, however, this can sometimes be corrected with a light polish/pad combo, low speed and light pressure.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn’t feel at all like I cut through the clear though. It’s a mirror finish. Now the area where the haze is did get hot as I was trying cut through the paint and spray clear that was on top. There was over spray everywhere too. Shouldn’t it feel like I went though it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearcoat issue-97d83527-41a8-4f93-918c-f2e73f9c37b6-jpeg my concern is the hasy area. After buffing some more I’ve made it more uniform than yesterday. The paint below the hazy area color got darker and finish smooth as glass. I’m not sure what else to do. I feel like the haze may either be from heat or that there’s still old spray paint there and underneath that is the original finish prior to the rework.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you'd feel it if you went through. It's very strange. Perhaps it was different color paint from the repair? Only other thing I can think of.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

7. Thanks Gaspar74 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was the car repainted at anytime it looks like that's the outline of a large run in the paint that was ultimately corrected and you may have worked down to it

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions on how to remove that haze? Should I work at it again with the microfiber cutting pad and maybe tougher compound? I have Meguiars 205, HD ONE and HD Speed for compounds right now. I know in that area if you zoom in you can see chipped spot where it was touched up just with spray paint. Then they just shot it a little with clear in a can. Wish I had pics of how it was before I’ve attempted working it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that just that area there was spray painted to fix a chip and an where it had started rust tiny bit. So basically like small strip was touched up very poorly. The clear didn’t match at all etc. I had managed to blend most of it in myself like a month ago buffing but still wasn’t perfect. So this happened my second go around at trying to cut through all the over spray and get down to the cars natural finish. I know car many years ago was in an accident front passenger side and maybe they painted that whole side after. Not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO:
    -It’s possible that, in the affected area—of which
    you’ve provided pictures—the bond between the
    base-coat and clear-coat paint films (as well as
    within the clear-coat’s matrix itself), has been
    compromised to the point of failure.

-A re-spray may wind up being the
    only real clear remedy.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Thanks Gaspar74 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast