autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax BSD and Turle Wax Ice Seal and Shine Removal?

Been using both to test, one on the drive side one on the passenger side. TW is really hard to buff out. I can see all the smudges and need to buff and buff more to get it worked in. BSD (Brilliant Shine Detailer) is easier to take off but still not easy. I like both of these as they seem to hold up quite long. TW is beating out my Collinite 845 for durability by quite a bit. But I strongly prefer putting on 845 to TW!! 845 is easy to work with. Looking for a winter wax/polymer. What do you guys do to buff these spray wax/seal stuff of? I tried a Rag Co 500 which is not the right rag to use but I use one to put it on as it spreads it nicely. And then a Rag Co 350 to remove it. TW grabs a lot, you need to buff this stuff a lot to get our all the smears and chemical smudges to make it look nice. I have to go over spots 3 and 4 times to get it nice. I am putting on a metallic white paint so it shows in the sun easily. BSD is easier but its more like a resin than a spray wax. I give the durability to TW but its not conclusive. Finally I am finding that once you have your paint looking swirl free, prepped right I really prefer these spray products. The durability has been ridiculous. BSD seems like it might be my go to. Let me know if there are other products that have the spray durability and shine the TW and BSD has. Hate to be a sell out and use TW...try to support AG as much as I can.
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax BSD and Turle Wax Ice Seal and Shine Removal?

Hey Soapboxpreacher, question regarding the tricky removal, are you using multiple towels for this or just one? I’d suggest maybe using more to see if that improves the buffing off of the products to reduce any smears/streaks/smudges. Idk if this is the issue but I know with some products it can make a difference.

As for the all the options available for winter protection and wanting to support AG, why not look into picking up Sonax PNS and using the BSD monthly to maintain? It uses the same polymers as BSD so they work very well together and will give you strong coating like beading, self cleaning attributes and protection.

If you’re looking to try something else that’s sprayable and easy to maintain while supporting AG, maybe try out a coating-lite product like Gyeon CanCoat and maintain with Gyeon Cure? You’ll be getting an easy to apply(just need to focus on prep) coating that’ll outlast the elements til Spring.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple, one to apply/wipe on and one to buff.
    ----------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacher View Post
    Multiple, one to apply/wipe on and one to buff.
    I’m sorry I should have been more specific, I mean to say for removal. Try using multiple towels to remove the sealants, as soon as you notice it becoming difficult to remove then switch to a new one. If it’s happing immediately though, then I’m not too sure what it could be :/

Maybe give that a shot and hope it improves your experience. I used BSD for the first time yesterday and it was very nice to use as a drying aid. I did notice though that it did leave streaking at different areas of the vehicle so went back around after drying the car to buff off any streaking.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

OP, how is TW beating 845 in durability? Are you doing chemical tests, or just living in a harsh environment? Just curious about your experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyday beading. 845 side stopped beading about 6 weeks, TW was still beading into the 10th week. No chemical test as for me that is not a realistic everyday test of typical rain, road film and so on. If I am putting super cleaner or purple on it I am obviously trying to strip it off. Once I have put any of these on for durability short of a ceramic it is tested against everyday elements and normal weekly hand washes using a normal car shampoo.
    ----------------------

8. Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post
    Likes KBsToy, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I figured it out, use a damp MF when streaking occurs. It seems to work.
    ----------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacher View Post
    Everyday beading. 845 side stopped beading about 6 weeks, TW was still beading into the 10th week. No chemical test as for me that is not a realistic everyday test of typical rain, road film and so on. If I am putting super cleaner or purple on it I am obviously trying to strip it off. Once I have put any of these on for durability short of a ceramic it is tested against everyday elements and normal weekly hand washes using a normal car shampoo.
    I like your approach
    Here in SW Pa I have used TW on wife's daily driver. As a drying aid / topper I use TW wax and dry

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that a Flairosol spray bottle helps with the application of Sonax BSD. Can’t speak for the TW. It puts on a nice easy mist of BSD. I use any 300/350gsm to buff in. But for the final wipe I have found that the dirt cheap microfiber towels for the final wipe seem to work really good. The issue is that the good towels seem to grab. Where the cheaper, thick, towels allow it to glide over the paint. I use this method for Sonax PNS as well. That final buff of PNS with a cheap towel doesn’t crap and really makes the PNS shine.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ochnob View Post
    I have found that a Flairosol spray bottle helps with the application of Sonax BSD. Can’t speak for the TW. It puts on a nice easy mist of BSD. I use any 300/350gsm to buff in. But for the final wipe I have found that the dirt cheap microfiber towels for the final wipe seem to work really good. The issue is that the good towels seem to grab. Where the cheaper, thick, towels allow it to glide over the paint. I use this method for Sonax PNS as well. That final buff of PNS with a cheap towel doesn’t crap and really makes the PNS shine.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    BSD has been easier to work with the TW. It doesnt last quite as long but I like the results. Found the same. Seems like to apply either you can us a higher GSM as it will spread better and more evenly. But buffing in...high GSM is terrible for once either one of these sets they get grabby and my 500 GSM Rag Cos are not fun! Which cheap MF are you using? Have a gross of Kirkland MF that I dont use but for crappy work.
    ----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast