autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad application of CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coating. Advise needed! Thx

After reading the threads here on ceramic coating I decided to take the plunge. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out the way I expected. See picture below - right side of the panel with dull/matte appearance is where I applied CQ UK 3.0.

Polishing off bad application of CQ UK 3.0 (right side of panel)
    The car is brand new (<400 miles), so I didn't think it needed paint correction. The following is what I did.

• Washed car with 2 bucket system using Mcguire Gold Class shampoo and conditioner.
    • Clayed with nanoskin fine grain sponge and nanoskin glide.
    • Powerwash nonoskin glide residual and dry with microfiber towel. Wait to dry.
    • Applied CQuartz (in the late afternoon- I know major mistake), and wiped after 1-2 mins. I think it flashed (rainbow streak) around 1-2 mins; but when I wiped it off, it felt a bit oily. I used the same suede microfiber towel for whole car.
    • Next evening (yes, I know), I applied another coat as instructed. Used 2 piece of microfiber to wipe CQuartz. Again, the surface felt a bit oily, but poor lightning in garage masked my mistakes.
    • Next day, I pulled my car out in the sunlight, and saw streaks and high spots everywhere!

I contacted Carpro for help; was advised to use some type of compound to remove the high spots, and reapply CQ.
    I think my mistakes were using too much CQ, and not waiting properly for it to flash and leveling it off completely; also taking on this task without proper lighting. What else could I have done better?
    I used a medium/light polish (ScratchX 2.0) , and was able to buff off the ceramic coating (see pic below - where I polished off the CQ coating).

I think I'm still interested in getting ceramic coating. What should be my next steps? Or should I just cut my loses.
    Anyway, this is what I'm thinking:

• A. Do an once over and polish off any streaks with ScratchX 2.0.
    • B. Use IPA wipe to clean off residue from ScratchX 2.0.
    • C. Wipe dry.
    • D. Apply CQ (in daylight), and level off after it flashes. Switch out microfiber after 2-3 panels.
    • E. Wait one day.
    • F. Hit it with diluted Carpro Reload, and wipe/level off.

Any advise is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bad application of CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coating. Advise needed! Thx

I would not be scared away by the experience so far - I found a few spots days later = simple light polishing and lighter reapplication over effected areas turned out just fine. I used essence prior and to re-polish - worked well.

You've already been able to clean it up - just re-apply a lighter pass of CQv3 over that one panel where you polished and be done.

Coating really does help with keeping my car cleaner as it's DD that gets washed every 3 weeks or so.... So I think you'll find the same

3. Likes AutoDetailerKaki liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bad application of CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coating. Advise needed! Thx

Did you use the suede cloth to remove? I have never found suede as an effective medium at removing coatings. I use at least two dedicated microfibers to remove the product. Your issue sounds like a removal problem and not like you left it on the paint too long.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Likes AutoDetailerKaki liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I did use the suede towel that came with CQ UK 3.0 kit. It wasn't very absorbent, but I figured I go along since it's manufacturer suggested. Corey@Carpro said it might be cause by bad towel , or leaving the coating on for too long.

Okay, I'll get a couple of 300-400 GSM microfiber towels ready.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the coating did not have enough time to flash. Flashing of the coating is dependent on the temperature and humidity. Sometimes it may take longer for the coating to flash and be leveled.

Some key things off the top of my head.

Get yourself good lighting. It helps with avoiding things like this.

Cycle out the applicators every couple panels. I would actually look at some of the autofiber applicators and skip the suede and suede block.

I would also recommend using multiple towels. One for the initial wipe and one for the final wipe. Towels such as the rag company edgeless 300 towels are a good option. Much better than the suede towel.

I would also recommend a better polish. Scratchx is more of a light compound.

And finally IPA is ok but not the best. A prep spray would be a better option.

8. Likes SWETM, Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct, I did use the suede towel that came with the kit. Corey@Carpro said the dullness might be cause by bad towel , or leaving the coating on for too long.

I'll have a couple of 300-400 GSM microfiber towels ready.

Thx

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx Guz.

Would the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish work as polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoDetailerKaki View Post
    Thx Guz.

Would the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish work as polish?
    Yes that will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Did you use the suede cloth to remove? I have never found suede as an effective medium at removing coatings. I use at least two dedicated microfibers to remove the product. Your issue sounds like a removal problem and not like you left it on the paint too long.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Could be?

All that's been mentioned are important guidelines. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the Carpro Suede MF Sheets used in conjunction with the Carpro Foam Applicator to apply. After application, no, I've never used the MF Suede Sheets to level. Some do. I use regular high quality MF Towels.

Yes lighting is important, and close examination from a number of angles both as you apply and after you apply, and then begin to wipe and level-smooth.

But one critical step that appears to be missing, is no use of a panel prep product as a last step prior to applying the coating?

Each manufacturer's coating systems usually have their orthodox methods to apply. Going outside their recommendations with makeshift products or omitting a step can create problems. For CQuartz, commonly users will use Carpro Eraser. Be thorough and complete with the use of these panel prep products.

Welcome to the forum

13. Thanks AutoDetailerKaki thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides what's already been posted, I would hit the entire car with a light polish.

You stated that you did a clay bar, that will add some marring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast