autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Window care - sealant/wax? Stone chip repair?

Hi everyone,

New to AG Forums but learning quickly! I have a 2019 Q5 with about 2500 miles on it and have so far successfully done a simple paint correction with a Griot's 6" DA, Correcting Cream and One Step Sealant, and this weekend put a nice layer of Collinite 845 on it to get ready for winter.

But what about the glass? I typically use SprayWay cleaner with Scotts Shop Glass Towels for a streak-free shine. 50/50 vinegar and distilled water to remove water spots. But that's it. Do you put sealant or wax on glass? I know about stuff like Aquapel and Rain-X but don't know how well that's received by the "pros". I'm not so much interested in water beading and "no wipers needed", but definitely all ears when it comes to glass protection from scratches and chips.

Also it appears I have a couple of pin-point size stone chips already in the windshield (ugh). Hard to find them unless the sun is hitting just right, then it like two bright white spots. I can also feel them with my fingernail. Is there anything that can be done to tone down the shine/glare from a chip? Probably not worth taking to a windshield person but I'd like to try whatever you guys recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Window care - sealant/wax? Stone chip repair?

Pinnacle Glass Twins

I have been using the Pinnacle glass twins kit on my truck since new. 0 complaints on the products. Once you lay down a coat of the glass sealant, you can maintain it with the glass cleaner. Nice kit.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Likes vincec liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced the windshield this past weekend and asked the same about some minor rock chips on my other vehicle. Installer suggested to try filling them with resin and then let them cure. Once cured then shave them flat with a razor blade. In either case these tiny nicks can only be filled but do NOT drill on them to make it larger. Since they did not create cracks they should not run.

As to your choices on glass you can do three optional routes.
    - Spray wax is cheap but not a long lasting method or try the newer Pinnacle Black Label Glass Cleaner/Repellant
    Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Cleaner & Repellent

- Glass sealants like the Aquapel, Griot's Garage Glass Sealant are easy and low cost products and last 60-days and more
    My preference has been GG's for cost and easy application Griot's Garage Glass Sealant, glass protectant, windshield sealant

- Glass coatings are the final step up in both cost and application. Pro 4x is using a good system but AG have many options. I also have known others to use the Pinnacle Black Label kits, McKee's 37,and similar products sold on AG. I just applied the IGL Window kit on my new windshield for my testing of that product.

In either case now is the time to apply them as you go into winter weather and ice conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing on the market that I know of that will stop rock chips or even sand that hits the windshield over time.

6. Likes Thomkirby, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    There is nothing on the market that I know of that will stop rock chips or even sand that hits the windshield over time.
    ^^This^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if any products that will prevent abrasive damage while driving sadly but when it comes to keeping windows clean I personally use RainX or McKee's 37 Glass Coating (depends on the vehicle).

If you want cheap and don't mind applying RainX every 3-5 weeks (Midwest environment) it's a great product that helps you clean the glass easier, improve visibility, and, in my opinion, provides just as good a look as spray wax on the glass for some pop!

If you don't want to apply on the monthly basis (like I didn't want to anymore) then McKee's 37 Glass Coating is a great product. I'm about 4 months into use and love it! My windshield cleans easy and it doesn't wear off with the limited wiper use but still give excellent visibility and the glass looks sharp.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app