autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Best leather product to maintain matte OEM finish?

Gosh.... there's actually a LOT of great leather products on the market today, makes it hard to choose. Even for me. I've used, tested and written reviews for many leather products and to date, they have all worked exactly as advertised.

One thing I would recommend, is if you really want to keep your leather looking good, you want to find a product that you like, (obviously, the reason your asking for help), but also a product that has an application process that you'll use OFTEN.

This is especially true for the driver's seat. Instead of looking for a product that will last a long time, look for a product that is fast and easy to apply - if it's fast and easy - you'll do it. If it's anything more - you'll tend not to do it and that's when wear-n-tear will take it's tool.

We just traded off my Lexus for an Infinity and this weekend my wife and I, (Stacy is a GREAT interior detailer), we will be going through the process to REMOVE everything the dealership detailers put on the multiple surfaces on the interior and the exterior and replacing them with products that..... we'll use often

I still haven't decided what to use but in the past we've always used the Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating for the seats and other leather surfaces and have really liked it. It won't make the leather shiny like a vinyl product.

Tough choice to make just because there are so many great brand options.

Also keep in mind an all-in-one product, that is something that cleans, conditions and protects in one step. A one-step product is fast and easy. Plus - normal use, especially on the driver's seat will make the leather surfaces dirty, especially anywhere that your skin or hair or head touches.

If we use this, I'll take a before and after picture. (of course)

So take inventory of "you" take care of your car, (are you pro-active or one-and-done), and this will help guide your choice.

And for what it's worth, once you figure out the shine or no shine characteristics of a brand, as long as you're choosing an established brand, chances are good it will meet your needs.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for something similar, but i'm in Australia so my choice of products is basically limited to 303 3-in-1 Complete Leather Care or Meguires Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. It's a new i30 N Line so they're more coated leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

SONAX Leather Foam Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Been using it for years on all my leather interiors. Even after using it on the newer car, hasn't covered up the new car scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to get a good leather brush and scrub down the interior to clean. I use Conolly’s leather cleaner that’s no longer sold here.... most will do i’d probably go with the gyeon. The make a regular and mild.

After cleaning i have procrastinating on applying my leathershield. I’ve read nothing but good things about this and Carpros coating but went with leathershield because you got 20ml more for virtually same price.

If you don’t want to go full blown 1year ceramic coating I Second Mike’s use of PBL L&V coating. I applied to all interior except seats and was perfect. Didn’t add any sheen just made plastics and vinyl look new again.

I maintain with an interior QD. Megs till i run out and then I have a gallon of P&S and Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mike and everyone else, thank you all so much! There are a lot of great suggestions here and Mike is right, I want to find something easy that I will use often on my seats and steering wheel to give my black leather a matte finish. They are both pretty clean, but I want to keep it that way and don't want shine.

FWIW, I was looking into Zaino 9 as well. Anyone have view on it?

Happy Saturday!

Post Thanks / Like

What about 1z Cockpit Premium or Poorboys Natural? I use to have the 1z a long time ago and used it on my dash but don't remember and cared a bit less back then . Would either of these make my semi shiny leather seat more matte (and clean) and be safe for the leather?

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I haven't gone to a leather coating is just because everytime I do the interior, I repeat the same process after I vacuum.

I wipe everything down with McKee's rinseless wash in a damp towel.

I apply Optimum Protectant all in one onto the rest of the interior.

I scrub the seats with CarPro inside and wipe down with McKees.

Then I gyeon leathershield the seats and all applicable leather surfaces.

Irony is, I hate doing interiors and love doing exteriors but my interiors.. I use shorter lasting products... and my exteriors always get coated..
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The only reason I haven't gone to a leather coating is just because everytime I do the interior, I repeat the same process after I vacuum.

Then I gyeon leathershield the seats and all applicable leather surfaces.

Leathershield? That IS Gyeons leather coating...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Leathershield? That IS Gyeons leather coating...

That’s right, they’ve sort of made their names on those products rather confusing.. Leathershield is the coating, and Leathercoat isn’t actually a coating.. Go figure.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast