autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Debadging 13yr old suv

Hey everyone. I have my 06 envoy denali. I work for a sign shop so i know how to remove the badges and clean the glue. My question is if there is some discoloration and what not after removal is there something i could use to bring paint back so it doesnt look bad and barely noticeable. Im looking to take the denali off the sides and the envoy and gmc off the rear gate.

Thats the side badge

Here is rear gate. I feel like there has to be something i can buff and polish to get it to look like it wasnt there after removal. Its 13yrs old so i know it probably wont look perfect because the paint wont be as faded or sun beaten under badges but still.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Debadging 13yr old suv

Why do you want to de-badge a 13 yr old red/maroon suv? If you must, it will probably leave a shadow. The base coat surrounding the badges are faded and since you can't polish the base (color) coat, polishing the clear won't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Why do you want to de-badge a 13 yr old red/maroon suv? If you must, it will probably leave a shadow. The base coat surrounding the badges are faded and since you can't polish the base (color) coat, polishing the clear won't help.
    Personal preference. Ive plastidipped them black but i like the clean look of no badges. And i was wondering if it was possible to make it look better. I know there will be a shadow was just asking if there something i could use to blend it better.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the base coat color layer is not faded from the UV. It depends on the level of how much it has faded on the rest of the car. Some colors is better than others to how you see the difference between the debadged part vs the surrounding paints. And also how much the car has been outside during the days and also where you live has an impact on the of UV damage.

If you decide to test it either way. Do it with one badge that seems easier to take off but also easier to put back on the same place. Clean off the adhisive left on the paint and be carefull cause a lot of old grime can be on this adhisive. So clean from the outside and work your way to the center of where you have the adhisive left on the paint. When you have gotten it off you can polishing the old badge spot plus the surroundings. And see what you get it to look as. Then decide if you can live with how it looks do the rest. So you don't debadging all of them first and then cleaning up the adhisive. To find out that it stands out to much.

/ Tony

5. Thanks fhcarstens, Mdjas thanked for this post
    Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Debadging 13yr old suv

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Since the base coat color layer is not faded from the UV. It depends on the level of how much it has faded on the rest of the car. Some colors is better than others to how you see the difference between the debadged part vs the surrounding paints. And also how much the car has been outside during the days and also where you live has an impact on the of UV damage.

If you decide to test it either way. Do it with one badge that seems easier to take off but also easier to put back on the same place. Clean off the adhisive left on the paint and be carefull cause a lot of old grime can be on this adhisive. So clean from the outside and work your way to the center of where you have the adhisive left on the paint. When you have gotten it off you can polishing the old badge spot plus the surroundings. And see what you get it to look as. Then decide if you can live with how it looks do the rest. So you don't debadging all of them first and then cleaning up the adhisive. To find out that it stands out to much.

/ Tony
    Thanks so much tony for the helpful advice. I was gonna do the gmc badge on rear gate first and see what it looks like. Before i bought it it lived in new jersey and now its with me in md. And its been outside its whole life so it might be real faded but it doesn’t look that way so we will see. Ill keep post updated when i get it done. I think i might do it this week but we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mdjas View Post
    Thanks so much tony for the helpful advice. I was gonna do the gmc badge on rear gate first and see what it looks like. Before i bought it it lived in new jersey and now its with me in md. And its been outside its whole life so it might be real faded but it doesn’t look that way so we will see. Ill keep post updated when i get it done. I think i might do it this week but we will see.

Try it and see how it looks after the debadged the GMC. If not satisfied with the results it's not that hard to put it back on. Maybe leave the paint bare where you debadge it. So if you decide to put it back on again the adhisive has the best ability to adhere to the paint. Think AGO sells the 3M dubble sided tape or if it's available oem parts.

Hope it's not too faded and you gets satisfied with the results.

8. Thanks Mdjas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Try it and see how it looks after the debadged the GMC. If not satisfied with the results it's not that hard to put it back on. Maybe leave the paint bare where you debadge it. So if you decide to put it back on again the adhisive has the best ability to adhere to the paint. Think AGO sells the 3M dubble sided tape or if it's available oem parts.

Hope it's not too faded and you gets satisfied with the results.
    Yeh i work at a signs shop were we do vehicle wraps and such so the double sided tape i have at my disposal. But yeh im gonna start with the gmc. Thanks for the help ill let know the results

Post Thanks / Like

Well ill get pics either today or 2maro. I left the denali on the sides for now but i pulled envoy and gmc lettering off rear gate and after some work its not noticeable unless certain way light hits it. I feel with little more work i could make it almost completely gone. Im happy with results for now. Ill try and get a pic

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mdjas View Post
    Well ill get pics either today or 2maro. I left the denali on the sides for now but i pulled envoy and gmc lettering off rear gate and after some work its not noticeable unless certain way light hits it. I feel with little more work i could make it almost completely gone. Im happy with results for now. Ill try and get a pic

Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

This is where envoy was

And this is where gmc badge was

14. Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post