autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire One Step Experience

Blackfire One Step Experience

Used BF One Step for the first time recently and ran into some splatter issues when I was on G9 speed setting 5 and 6.

I'm thinking I was using too much product on my pad... I was loading with 3 nickle sized drops per section. I could probably work 2 and maybe even 3 sections after this loading but the coverage would have been a very light layer of product.

My question is how much product should I be using of BF One Step?

I don't want to use too little where I don't let the product work to it's full potential but also don't want to use too much and keep dealing with these splatter issues.

As long as I'm continuing to lay a full, light layer of product is that sufficient? I

was under the assumption that AIO's usually require more product to work to their max...?

Happy with the results... don't mind the trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blackfire One Step Experience-aaimg_7332-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire One Step Experience

I've used BF One Step 3-4 times and never had an issue with splatter (other than lifting the DA while on speed 5...once) and I've always used three nickel sized drops +/-. Before going to speed 5/6, are you spreading the product out on the panel using speed 1-2 then going to speed 5/6? If you're going to speed 5/6 from the start, then I would think you would get splatter. Also, are you changing pads after each panel or two? If not the pad could be getting soaked with too much product and would cause splattering.

Truck looks great!!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thread for the same topic?

Post Thanks / Like

I was asking about technique that might be causing the splatter in the last thread and asking about how much BF One Step to use in this thread. Probably could of kept it to one thread, but I thought it was different enough to be separate....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I've used BF One Step 3-4 times and never had an issue with splatter (other than lifting the DA while on speed 5...once) and I've always used three nickel sized drops +/-. Before going to speed 5/6, are you spreading the product out on the panel using speed 1-2 then going to speed 5/6? If you're going to speed 5/6 from the start, then I would think you would get splatter. Also, are you changing pads after each panel or two? If not the pad could be getting soaked with too much product and would cause splattering.

Truck looks great!!
    I am spreading on setting 2 first before bumping the speed up to 5/6. I think my issue might be more of using saturated pads. But if I keep it on speed setting 4, I'm fine. Not sure if speed setting 4 maximizes product application to its full potential, but I like the results. Thanks for the comments!

Post Thanks / Like

I think when Mike reviewed the G9 I thought he said there wasnt any reason to go to speed 6 since it was so powerful....might be going into "warp drive"!! I have a HF DA (for now but Christmas is right around the corner) and I've used One Step on speed 5-6 with no issues.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post

Used BF One Step for the first time recently and ran into some splatter issues when I was on G9 speed setting 5 and 6.

First, here's the full size picture of your truck, looks good!

That's a LOT of real-estate to buff out and a quality one-step is the way to go especially if it's a daily driver and you don't want to coat it.

As far as splatter goes, it does sound like you're using too much product so maybe tone it down a bit.

I would also say though, in my review, I found the G9 to have a LOT of power and it's the first free spinning polisher that I used on the 5 speed setting and I'm usually an 11 speed setting type of guy.

Also - immediate after you turn the polisher on, get the polisher moving and spread the product out. if you leave the pad in one place for even seconds, the liquid, via centrifugal force, will find a way to LEAVE!

The big picture is this, you DON'T use a one-step on neglected paint using only peas sized drops. You want and need a certain amount of abrasives and lubrication WORKING FOR YOU.

You'll get the hang of it with more use.

Mike Phillips

Just thought of a question....

How many pads did you use?

This is important.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post

I think when Mike reviewed the G9 I thought he said there wasnt any reason to go to speed 6 since it was so powerful....might be going into "warp drive"!!

I have a HF DA (for now but Christmas is right around the corner) and I've used One Step on speed 5-6 with no issues.

Correct. Here's the link to my review,

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Here's what I wrote,

LOTS OF POWER!

This is the first tool I've used in my career where I didn't feel the need to go to the highest speed setting, which is 6 on the speed dial. It's that powerful, or better said, it's spins the pad so fast. I found myself running the tool on the 5 speed setting the majority of the time.

Why is this important? Because I know my audience and they are looking for power. And in the context of a free spinning random orbital polisher power means the ability to maintain pad rotation under pressure.

This tool has TONS of power.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you skip the priming part (2 circles around the pad spread with your finger) and go straight to the dots you'll be fine. You're starting with so much product that it just ends up splattering.
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast