autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400 Question

Quote Originally Posted by paulgyro View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful. It seems like you like living on the edge with running your polisher wide open, using non recommend pads with this polish and using a washing machine with steam to clean pads. But your amazing results speak for themselves don't then?

I'll be doing a black BMW X2 with MF pads so I hope to get similar results as you.

One thing I didn't see in your write up was how many section passes you did and at what arm speed?
    Mike Phillips has many posts here about polisher speeds, he runs his polishers wide open (#6) when polishing and correcting too.

I did about 5 test combinations before I setteld on the best combination for the Porsche.

At least 6-8 passes at a slow to medium arm speed.

Can't speak to the mf pad choice though. You may get hazing. I'd suggest doing some test spots with different pads w / FG400 to see what gives you the best final results.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I run my polishers wide open with FG400, no dusting issues.
    2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant

Note Post #4
    "I did get some light dusting but the results were so good I was okay with the trade off"
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant

Note Post #4
    "I did get some light dusting but the results were so good I was okay with the trade off"
    Thanks for reminding me, though like I said it still wasn't a big deal. LOL. I'd take the results any day versus the extra hours of a second polishing step.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just thought I'd pass along the official word I got from Menzerna.

My question to them: "At point point in the process should one change to the polishing pad? When HCC 400 become transparent?"

Their answer: "Yes, to get the best out of Hcc400 you have to change the hard pad to a medium or soft pad when the product gets transparent. Best regards Your Menzerna Team".

Seeing this is a diminishing abrasive it makes sense to get the most out of the broken down abrasives a softer pad would be required. Or as mentioned by custmsprty earlier lighting way up on the pressure on the final pass.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulgyro View Post
    I just thought I'd pass along the official word I got from Menzerna.

My question to them: "At point point in the process should one change to the polishing pad? When HCC 400 become transparent?"

Their answer: "Yes, to get the best out of Hcc400 you have to change the hard pad to a medium or soft pad when the product gets transparent. Best regards Your Menzerna Team".

Seeing this is a diminishing abrasive it makes sense to get the most out of the broken down abrasives a softer pad would be required. Or as mentioned by custmsprty earlier lighting way up on the pressure on the final pass.

Paul
    Thanks for posting this. I love HC400 and have used it many years. I’ve never thought about stepping down to a softer pad. I’ve always marveled at the finish with a microfiber or wool pad and “how it was almost LSP ready”. I’ll have to give this method a try. The miracle of diminishing abrasives, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I love HC400 and have used it many years. I’ve never thought about stepping down to a softer pad. I’ve always marveled at the finish with a microfiber or wool pad and “how it was almost LSP ready”. I’ll have to give this method a try. The miracle of diminishing abrasives, lol.
    Work it baby!!:

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the weekend I was finally able to the use HC400 with a Lake Country MF Cutting pad. I couldn't believe how well it finished out with a MF cutting pad. Beyond the results I was pleased on how easy it was to wipe off and the little to no dusting I had. Great product to be sure!

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thread!!

Will be using FG400 on my black 2010 Audi S4.

Noticed a 'haze' on the test spot I did last weekend. Going to try on the last pass with my G21 with 5inch backing plate and Meg MF cutting pad...going over the last pass or two with 'light' pressure and see if it finishes off better.

My only issue is dusting with it. I when applying FG400 to my MF pad, I prime the pad first and then on future passes just put 3 pea size drops when it looks like it's drying out.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Good thread!!

Noticed a 'haze' on the test spot I did last weekend. Going to try on the last pass with my G21 with 5inch backing plate and Meg MF cutting pad...going over the last pass or two with 'light' pressure and see if it finishes off better.

My only issue is dusting with it. I when applying FG400 to my MF pad, I prime the pad first and then on future passes just put 3 pea size drops when it looks like it's drying out.

The Meg MF Cutting pad is less aggressive then the LC Cutting so in theory you should be able to finish down better.

The HC400 goes along ways so perhaps you are just using too much product. When I've used the Meg MF pads they seem to get overloaded fast so I'd minimally prime the pad and use 2-3 slight smaller drops between your 2x2 section passes.

Work the product until it goes clear, then lighten up pressure and do one more cross hatch section pass. If you still have hazing at this point to finish down better swap out to a finishing / polishing pad.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Paul

11. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Good thread!!

Just to clarify do you polish say 3 passes per sections and if you notice it's starts to dry you ad HC400 to the pad and do 2 more passes on the same section?

I would look at the amount of passes per sections you do with the G21 and mf cutting pad and HC400. As remember your G21 is a very effective polisher. So if you go with the normal armspeed of a inch per second. You usually just need to be doing 2-3 passes per sections with a 21mm longthrow polisher. While with say a 8mm free spinning DA polisher you may need 4-5 passes per sections to get the same results between them. Many don't think about this that different kind of throw and free spinning or not with the same armspeed you need less passes with a more effective polisher. That's where you get the time saving between them and a rotary polisher is even more effective. So if you are set on doing 4-5 passes per sections you need to be haveing a higher armspeed than now or use less passes. Cause I think that when it starts to dust if you don't have useded the pad on to many sections or saturated the pad. You are overworking the HC400. So try to use 1 less pass and inspect the results until you are satisfied with the results. The problem with if you ad polish during the section passes is that this is a diminishing abrasive. So you get a full cut when adding the HC400 on it again. And it's cutting way more than a non diminishing abrasives does in the beginning. The benefit with the newer diminishing abrasives like in the HC400 is that they are sharper and breaks down much faster than before. So after the first pass you have already done the heavy cutting from the HC400. And on a 15mm or 21mm longthrow polisher you may have broken down the abrasives in it fully after 2 passes. So have a look at the HC400 when it's clears up then you have already done the heavy cutting part and is on the refine part. On a 21mm longthrow polisher if you don't have the HC400 to be cleared up after 3 passes per sections you use way to much of product. As it's a very high concentration of the abrasives in it. It's hard to say how much of the polish you ad on the pad. As it's depends on how big of a section you are polishing on and the condition of the paint and also on the pad you are apply it on in how it soaks up the polish. One more thing that can make most polishes dust is when you polishing in high humidity. Sounds backwards but it's useally so LOL. The early version of fg400 when it got from fg500 was a mess to be polishing when it where high humidity where you polished. They did fix this to the better right before they changed the formula before the name also changed to HC400. Sadly they just change the formula on the go so it's hard to know which version you do have. If you have the new name HC400 you have the latest version and if you got the fg400 then you can have the older more finicky version in the high humidity.

13. Likes Matador liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast