autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

Ordered some Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) and plan on putting it on my new car which has quite a bit of exterior plastic. I also ordered the Tire & Trim Dressing Applicator from AG and picked up some of the foam makeup applicators locally to use for applying the WETS.

Is it recommended to put this on all exterior plastics and rubber seals? Any other suggested applications while I’m detailing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

I've only ever used it on exterior plastic trim with very good results. According to this from Autogeek, it has many other applications:

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant works equally well on metal wheels, tires, metal grills, plastic wiper cowls, textured bumpers and smooth wheel well guards. It works on ALL exterior trim and tires! Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant will give plastic, vinyl, and rubber a darker, newer appearance. On metal, Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant forms a clear coating that maintains its luster.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 5js View Post

Ordered some Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) and plan on putting it on my new car which has quite a bit of exterior plastic.

Is the car new?

Is the trim in excellent condition?

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to think about using it on rubber seals. I'm not familiar with this product but would be cautious about leaving a film on the painted metal bits the seals contact. I've been using 303 rubber seal protectant which is water-based (actually pretty runny) which is designed specifically for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Is the car new?

Is the trim in excellent condition?

Car is new. just hit 2000 miles. Paint and trim are in excellent condition.

Overall, I plan on doing a full detail before winter. I plan on a pre-treat (any bugs, etc.)/wash/rinse/dry -> decontaminate -> rinse/dry -> clay bar -> inspect -> mask -> polish with Menzerna SF3500 on a white LC pad -> Menzerna Control Cleaner wipedown -> Menzerna Powerlock sealant. Then I will detail plastics & rubber with WETS and clean all glass and dress tires.

For maintenance over winter I plan on washing/rinsing in a coin-op bay then misting with a Wolfgang Uber/SONAX BSD as a drying aid/QD and wiping dry with Griot's PFM towels. (just ordered 4 in my latest AG order. Also ordered some Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay to try as well as some 3.5" LC pads to go with the 5.5" pads I already had).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I would have to think about using it on rubber seals. I'm not familiar with this product but would be cautious about leaving a film on the painted metal bits the seals contact. I've been using 303 rubber seal protectant which is water-based (actually pretty runny) which is designed specifically for this.
    That's one of the reasons for this post. Want to see if it's a good idea or not to put on the rubber seals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5js View Post
    That's one of the reasons for this post. Want to see if it's a good idea or not to put on the rubber seals.
    WG WETS is an outstanding product for rubber. About the very best I ever used. It leaves a silky soft and buttery smooth tactile feel to all rubber, and restores the look to just like new.

I've noted no detriment of such leaving a film and hurting paint in door jambs.

WETS dries pretty good, but yes, I think you will feel a bit of remaining film left on the rubber. Again, I've seen zero detrimental evidence, and have used WETS for a number of years now on my vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

With a new car and trim in excellent condition I would use a coating instead of a sealant. That will last much longer and will keep the trim darker. Either Gyeon Trim or CarPro Dlux would be my choice.
    Bruno Soares

9. Likes geekfloyd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    With a new car and trim in excellent condition I would use a coating instead of a sealant. That will last much longer and will keep the trim darker. Either Gyeon Trim or CarPro Dlux would be my choice.
    Or PBL Ceramic Trim Restorer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    WG WETS is an outstanding product for rubber. About the very best I ever used. It leaves a silky soft and buttery smooth tactile feel to all rubber, and restores the look to just like new.

I've noted no detriment of such leaving a film and hurting paint in door jambs.

WETS dries pretty good, but yes, I think you will feel a bit of remaining film left on the rubber. Again, I've seen zero detrimental evidence, and have used WETS for a number of years now on my vehicles.
    I’ll second that Mckees Plastic Trim Restorer (similar to WETS) works very nicely on the rubber seals.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast