autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    With a new car and trim in excellent condition I would use a coating instead of a sealant. That will last much longer and will keep the trim darker. Either Gyeon Trim or CarPro Dlux would be my choice.
    I had already gone down the path of a sealant for both the paint and the trim (Menzerna PL for the paint, WETS for trim) and ordered all the product. In the spring when it comes time to detail again I may try a coating for the trim, maybe paint, maybe both.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 5js View Post

Car is new. just hit 2000 miles. Paint and trim are in excellent condition.

Good idea to be PRO-ACTIVE.

I created a powerpoint presentation and taught a class on how to restore black plastic trim for Mobile Tech Expo one year, the most boring class I've ever taught.

Why?

Because no on cares.

That is unless, you're the person with ugly trim. Then most people look for a miracle product that will undo years, even decades of PURE NEGLECT and then... they only want to apply one thing ONE TIME and have the trim look new.

Absolute ridiculousness.

BUT - in the power point, besides showing how to restore trim and turn it black again I STRESSED what's MORE IMPORTANT and that is to be PRO-ACTIVE and this means START TREATING TRIM WHEN THE CAR IS BRAND NEW.

So credit to you for being smart.

The Wolfgang ETS is a great SEALANT for new plastic, rubber and even vinyl trim. It can also be used to restore aged surfaces by applying with a patch of cotton terrycloth and elbow grease PLUS TIME.

Apply, work over and into the surface and then wipe off any excess and you're good to go. Most important though, for any exterior trim, especially trim that faces up or faces the sun and the brunt of weather, try to apply after washing your drying your car. Or every other time you wash and dry the car. The idea being --> BEING PRO ACTIVE.

By continually "touching" the surface with a product that treats it you will keep it looking new. It's only when you neglect the surface that it goes down hill.

IN FACT - I just wrote a new article about this topic.

Maintaining means doing something frequently - Touching the surface

3. Likes custmsprty, geekfloyd liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I'd recommend this - because it's an actual ceramic coating with carbon black in it - you get the long lasting benefits of ceramic plus the darkening of carbon black.

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

BEFORE

AFTER

The key for any product is always proper prep work.

5. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'd recommend this - because it's an actual ceramic coating with carbon black in it - you get the long lasting benefits of ceramic plus the darkening of carbon black.

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

The key for any product is always proper prep work.

Thanks Mike. With the new trim I don't need a dye it the product - HOWEVER - my son just purchased a 2005 Subaru with neglected trim. I will have to put some of that in my next order for him. He put on Mother's Back to Black which did a decent job - but there are sections of the roof rack that are a painted aluminum that the Mothers didn't do anything for.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    With a new car and trim in excellent condition I would use a coating instead of a sealant. That will last much longer and will keep the trim darker. Either Gyeon Trim or CarPro Dlux would be my choice.
    I am coating a new car with CQ lite. Would you go with the lite on the black trim? My Rogue has a good amount of trim. If I use Dlux, will I have a hard time keeping it away from my new lite on the paint? First time using coatings and I want to do no harm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geekfloyd View Post
    I am coating a new car with CQ lite. Would you go with the lite on the black trim? My Rogue has a good amount of trim. If I use Dlux, will I have a hard time keeping it away from my new lite on the paint? First time using coatings and I want to do no harm.
    If using CQ DLX. I'd advise to carefully mask off all trim you're wishing to coat.
    More work initially, but you won't get any overrun onto the paint, glass, or other areas where you don't want DLX to go.

9. Likes geekfloyd liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I use CQ lite on paint and trim, is there any issue if I get some on the coated paint while doing the trim hours after the paint trim was applied?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you’d be fine either way. If dlux touches the paint it’s no big deal. And if you do Lite in the trim it can also touch the paint previously coated with Lite. I’ve never used Lite at all, so I’m not sure how it works on trim. I know dlux works really well on texture trim. For smooth painted trim use the same coating you’re using on the body of the car.
    Bruno Soares

12. Thanks geekfloyd thanked for this post
    Likes geekfloyd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5js View Post
    That's one of the reasons for this post.
    Want to see if it's a good idea or not to
    put on the rubber seals.
    •For the rubber (EPDM) seals, I would
    forgo using the W.E.T.S.; and, instead:

-I’d use either the aforementioned 303
    Rubber Seal Protectant; or:
    -Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege.

Both are Top Shelf products.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

What’s your guy’s definition of “rubber seals”?
    Are you talking about these rubber bits?

Or are you referring to the rubber weatherstripping that’s in the doorjambs?

Personally, I consider the weatherstripping to be the same as the rubber seals... And anything on the exterior, including alongside the windows to be “rubber trim”.

There’s some mention of EPDM rubber with the recommendation of using the following products:

-I’d use either the aforementioned 303
    Rubber Seal Protectant; or:
    -Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege.

But aren’t those products mainly intended to maintain and protect the weatherstripping? I never knew people were using Nextzett Gummi Pflege on exterior rubber pieces..

What do you guys think?
    Also, Weatherstripping is EDPM rubber? I know most exterior window trim is, but you can usually tell because it looks and feels unlike the typical rubber.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast