autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gauge Cluster Plastic Cleaning

Hey everyone, I have purchased a new Toyota Camry and all is well, except the gauge cluster plastic has a lot of lint on it, but I do not notice any scratches. It appears to be lint from a towel/rag where they cleaned the car up before I picked it up. I didn't really notice it until the sun reflected on it, or at least it didn't stick out so bad until then. No big deal just doesn't look the best seeing all that lint. What I am wondering is, what would be the best method of removing that without scratching, i.e. just use canned air to remove the majority of it, or any particular cleaning product you recommend? What would be the best type of microfiber towel to use as well? Obviously use no pressure using a clean, high-quality microfiber cloth as that kind plastic is notoriously easy to scratch. I also understand to avoid certain motion as well.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gauge Cluster Plastic Cleaning

So yer basically just asking what is the best MF towel to use cause you already understand how not to scratch the gauge plastics. I dont know if I can recommend a brand but if you use anything that is made to take off wax and the techniques you talked about already you should be fine. Something 300gsm or higher should be more than fine.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenexcelon View Post
    Hey everyone, I have purchased a new Toyota Camry and all is well, except the gauge cluster plastic has a lot of lint on it, but I do not notice any scratches. It appears to be lint from a towel/rag where they cleaned the car up before I picked it up. I didn't really notice it until the sun reflected on it, or at least it didn't stick out so bad until then. No big deal just doesn't look the best seeing all that lint. What I am wondering is, what would be the best method of removing that without scratching, i.e. just use canned air to remove the majority of it, or any particular cleaning product you recommend? What would be the best type of microfiber towel to use as well? Obviously use no pressure using a clean, high-quality microfiber cloth as that kind plastic is notoriously easy to scratch. I also understand to avoid certain motion as well.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
    Whatever you do, do not wipe the lens with a dry media. Alway's keep your towel damp to prevent scratches. Again, do not dry wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say a soft natural hair detail brush and some air before you wipe it with anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a bundle of the Ultima Screen Cleaner & Protector. You get a quality mf towel with it. And or you can use their awesome soft and safe Ultima Autospa Mf Applicator. I would get a couple of these to use on other sensitive parts as the touchscreens or screen in the car.

Ultima Screen Cleaner & Protector Bundle

Ultima Autospa Microfiber Applicator, applicator pad

/ Tony

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kenexcelon View Post

Hey everyone,

I have purchased a new Toyota Camry and all is well, except the gauge cluster plastic has a lot of lint on it, but I do not notice any scratches.

It appears to be lint from a towel/rag where they cleaned the car up before I picked it up.

BE sure to inspect ANY towel before you wipe clear plastic or paint for that matter.

Then pick a quality name brand quick detailer, or plastic polish, apply, and carefully wipe off. Meguiar's plastic products are all great.

I used Pinnacle by machine to fix antique Plexiglas here,

Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Post Thanks / Like

For that I use Plexus spray and the orange Carpro suede-ish towels which are silly soft.