autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt dcd996 drill for cordless polishing?

anyone know if this drill will be safe to polish my cars paint? I currently have the porter cable xp orbital polisher but I need something cordless as I live in a condo without access to power outlets.

would like some feeback as I dont want to burn or damage the paint and before I go about buying the attachments for it.

Thanks!

specs of the DCD996:

3 Speed 0-450 / 0-1,300 / 0-2,000 rpm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dewalt dcd996 drill for cordless polishing?-dewalt-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: Dewalt dcd996 drill for cordless polishing?

I have a foam pad with a plastic backing and a drill attachment built-in from Meguiar's from either the late 1970s or the early 1980s.

It never took off back then and the concept of buffing out an entire car isn't going to work today. I have tried this and it is SO cumbersome to try to hold the drill and buff out a car.

Spot repair? You bet. Entire car? If you can afford a car you can budget for even an entry level polisher like a Porter Cable 7424XP and not only do a much better job but take a heck of a lot of work out of the project.

Just my 2 cents from what I've seen over the last 32 years in the car detailing world.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a DeWalt Driver/Drill that I've used with the Meguiar's DA Power System. It will take a pretty long time to do an entire car. Spots here and there, sure. Like Mike said.

Maybe one panel at a time?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have a foam pad with a plastic backing and a drill attachment built-in from Meguiar's from either the late 1970s or the early 1980s.

It never took off back then and the concept of buffing out an entire car isn't going to work today. I have tried this and it is SO cumbersome to try to hold the drill and buff out a car.

Spot repair? You bet. Entire car? If you can afford a car you can budget for even an entry level polisher like a Porter Cable 7424XP and not only do a much better job but take a heck of a lot of work out of the project.

Just my 2 cents from what I've seen over the last 32 years in the car detailing world.

Thanks Mike!....for spot repair what RPM's should I be sticking to on the Drill wi

Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt dcd996 drill for cordless polishing?

Do some test spots, just make sure you keep the drill moving. You can heat things up really quickly with a drill, believe it or not.

Whenever I make any corrections with my dewalt drill I have the speed switch set to 1 and run it full throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

just for curiosity what is the RPM's on Setting 1 on your drill? Just trying to gauge what max rpms I should be looking to run it at with out over heating the paint and screwing something up.

also what is your drill model btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    Do some test spots, just make sure you keep the drill moving. You can heat things up really quickly with a drill, believe it or not.

Whenever I make any corrections with my dewalt drill I have the speed switch set to 1 and run it full throttle.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I really would reconsider using a drill on its own.

It has zero orbital ability, and would be like a mini rotary. Only harder to handle.

The danger would be burning through your clear in spots.

Meguiar's actually sells a product called the "DA Power System". It is a dual action attachment for a drill.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Paul,

I have only ever used my drill for spot correction on my lawn mower hood. I would never do it on a customer vehicle, or any car for that matter.

Even a used porter cable original version 7424 can be scooped on eBay for under a hundred bucks.

I don’t know the RPMs, model DCD777.

Honestly, I never measured or considered it’s RPMs. I just estimate based on using polishers what is a sufficient speed, but again, nothing I’d ever recommend for correcting clear coat on a nice vehicle.