autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Marred Ceramic coating

Hi, I had Nanoskin Megatrend professionally installed about 18 months ago. It has been incredible, no swirls or marring, and I just rinse and spray a reload. Recently however, I got a sap shower from a tree in a parking lot. Used Nanoskin fine wash mitt and Chemical guys clay lube, lots of lube, now my coating is marred!! WTH?! Anyways, any suggestions on how to remove these mars with out removing the coating? Also, any idea why the mitt marred? I was contemplating CarPro Essence Plus.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marred Ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by 82Gman View Post
    Hi, I had Nanoskin Megatrend professionally installed about 18 months ago. It has been incredible, no swirls or marring, and I just rinse and spray a reload. Recently however, I got a sap shower from a tree in a parking lot. Used Nanoskin fine wash mitt and Chemical guys clay lube, lots of lube, now my coating is marred!! WTH?! Anyways, any suggestions on how to remove these mars with out removing the coating? Also, any idea why the mitt marred? I was contemplating CarPro Essence Plus.

Thanks
    Essense Plus has no abrasives, so it will not remove your coating. It contains durable resins that might hide some of the marring.

I'm always against claying without polishing afterwards.

3. Likes 82Gman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why many recommend to not clay a coating and recommend a chemical decon instead.

As mentioned Essence Plus was designed for that.

5. Likes 82Gman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

18 months means you’re probably close to the end of life for that coating so might as well polish (which will remove marring and the coating) and then apply a new coating.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes rlmccarty2000, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you got sap on it and it didn't wipe off I would say you have reached the end of life on the ceramic. I have Adams and tree sap wipes right off. I think the last thing you want to do with sap is clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try hair dry I had a coating on one car same situation and it improved it. And the coating was not fenylab it was just a normal ceramic coating it improved situation, maybe try pluslike you wrote..... if neither of them work do a super quick pass with lightest polish you have. Interested in how you make out also nanoskin mega trend good to hear that a good product.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Nanoskin fine mitt is anything like the regular fine grade pad, I'm not too surprised. After using many differnt types of lubes and dumping it on the surface, I still had issues with the pad marring my paint pretty badly. Afterwards I went back to using a clay bar.

Agree with the others. If you are going to break out a clay bar or clay substitute, be prepared to polish the surface. It is an important step in the decon process, but doesn't come without the risk of some marring. The only time I ever clay is when I'm gong to polish the paint anyway.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes 82Gman liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 82Gman View Post

Used Nanoskin fine wash mitt and Chemical guys clay lube, lots of lube, now my coating is marred!! WTH?!

Just goes to show just because you have a coating on your car the coating is not impervious to outside effects.

This is why I have at least 3 how-to articles on how to gently wash a coated car. Same goes for a car with any type of car wax or synthetic paint sealant. It always comes down to how you touch the car or more specifically, touch the paint.

At this point, I'd recommend using an ultra fine cut polish to remove the marring. This will probably remove the coating too. Then take it upon yourself to purchase a known quality name brand coating and "install" it yourself.

13. Likes 82Gman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Either use CarPro Essense Plus to help repair the coating or just polish the entire painted surface and re-apply a new ceramic coating. If the NanoSkin Megatrend coating was applied 18 months ago I would say it should probably be re-coated very soon.

CarPro Essence PLUS 250 ml

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish
    BLACKFIRE Paint Prep
    BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating Kit

15. Likes 82Gman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way I've been able to not get marring from the Nanoskin Autoscrub clay alternatives is to soak them in a bucket of warm water before/after each panel to keep the "rubber" material pliable during use. This method, used in conjunction with Nanoskin's clay lubes (Glide, Shock, etc.), will produce literally ZERO marring on the surface... even on softer paint systems. We keep a bucket of clean water with a pair of heaters ready to go at all times just for our Nanoskin mitts.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

17. Thanks fly07sti, 82Gman thanked for this post
    Likes 82Gman liked this post