autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

I've used the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash a couple time on my 2012 Diamond White Yukon Denali and on my 2019 Orang Sunset Metallic BMW 330i and have been very happy. I have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on both and routinely use Wolfgang Auto Bathe for washes with Pinnacle Liquid Spray Wax after most washes. However, the last time I used the SiO2 Coating Wash on my BMW I ended up with several spots of smeared "goup" which have stayed on the paint. After talking to tech support at Autogeek, I think some of that panels may have gotten too hot as the sun came up before I could finish the wash. The smears don't wash off with Auto Bathe, and don't come off with Car Pro's Tar-X or Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. I've ordered some CarPro Eraser to try and remove them. Just wondering if anybody has also encountered this and may have any tips. Thanks

Problem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash-img_5838-jpgProblem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash-img_5844-2-jpgProblem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash-img_5837-jpgProblem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash-img_5833-jpgProblem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash-img_5840-jpgProblem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash-img_5846-2-jpgProblem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash-img_5839-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

I do think Uber has issues with being in the sun. I had blotches after using it this weekend, which cleared up with some APC. They weren't as bad as yours, though. McKees 37 SiO2 wash is what I'm going back to, it works fine in the sun.

3. Likes lkaten liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I've had any issues like that with this product. Though any soap is going to leave marks if it dries in the sun prior to being rinsed. Did you use too strong a mixture perhaps??

Post Thanks / Like

I can only mention what I think of when washing with these kind of stronger protection car soaps. The recommended dilution is important to follow as they bond so quickly you risk to get streaking with stronger dilution than the recommended. I wash and rinse very thoroughly so I see that soapy foam is off the car after the rinse. And also the warmer temperature I wash in the smaller sections I wash and rinse off. As the roof and rinse and if not so warm outside I take the windows and the panels around them and rinse thoroughly. Then the hood and front and maybe the fenders and rinse off and so on. And again it's very important to get the soap off the whole vehical when you rinse and not just the panels you washed. Cause even when very diluted it still bonds to the paint and if it's warm and the water evaporate. You get the protection to getting like high spots like it looks from your pictures.

It will be wearing off if you don't seal the high spots/smearing in again. Or you would could use some polish on mf applicator pad and polishing them off. The thickness of the smearing high spots is way thicker than the rest of the protection layer. And since it's so durable it takes longer for it to wear down. The other problem is that the SiO2 protection products is very chemical resistant. So stripping a newly cured high spot take a very aggressive chemical to remove it. If you are fast and notice these directly after the wash. You can maybe reactivate it with the car soap solution and re-wash it and the like desolves the like can be helping you out.

And the down side is when washing hot panels and or in the sun. If the sun comes up small sections and work fast and rinse off it very thoroughly. Before you wash the section rinse it for a little longer time before you wash. So when you touch the panel it has cooled down from the rinse water and you get a longer working time when you wash and rinse off with the über SiO2 Wash. These kind of SiO2 car soaps is like the spray on rinse off products but you apply it on the same time as you wash. But it's the same kind of thoughts to have when rinse it off and how large of a sections you wash or apply them. Also that you don't use it on hot panels and out of the sunlight as that speeds up the cureing from them and you are not able to rinse them off before they have cured more than it should. So you get streaking and smearing.

Another thing with these stronger SiO2 protection car soaps. Is like with any stronger LSP if you use them too often and to close in time for a couple of times. The paint gets saturated with what it can build up on the protection from these products. And less is able to bond and it gets harder to rinse it off clearly and you get streaking and smearing from them. So a product like this I would not use more than every other week or every month. And in between a car soap that leaves nothing behind or if wanted to maybe some glossenhancers.

Did I mention that you need to be rinsing these kind of products very thoroughly off the vehical. Sorry but this is so important to do to not get a mess from them. And out of the sunlight and work in smaller sections than wash the whole car before you rinse it off. If you don't do this the risk of getting streaking/smearing/high spots gets very high.

/ Tony

6. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your going to need a light polish to remove those spots. What happened is the wash solution dried on you there. I love this shampoo and the protection it leave behind is unrivaled. The downside is you can’t let it dry at all. Must work small sections then rinse. Anyway, a fine polish will fix that then just follow with your LSP of choice. Eraser isn’t going to help.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Your going to need a light polish to remove those spots. What happened is the wash solution dried on you there. I love this shampoo and the protection it leave behind is unrivaled. The downside is you can’t let it dry at all. Must work small sections then rinse. Anyway, a fine polish will fix that then just follow with your LSP of choice. Eraser isn’t going to help.
    Thanks Jim,
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer didn't take it off. Would you have a suggestion for a polish to use for this?

Louie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I can only mention what I think of when washing with these kind of stronger protection car soaps. The recommended dilution is important to follow as they bond so quickly you risk to get streaking with stronger dilution than the recommended. I wash and rinse very thoroughly so I see that soapy foam is off the car after the rinse. And also the warmer temperature I wash in the smaller sections I wash and rinse off. As the roof and rinse and if not so warm outside I take the windows and the panels around them and rinse thoroughly. Then the hood and front and maybe the fenders and rinse off and so on. And again it's very important to get the soap off the whole vehical when you rinse and not just the panels you washed. Cause even when very diluted it still bonds to the paint and if it's warm and the water evaporate. You get the protection to getting like high spots like it looks from your pictures.

It will be wearing off if you don't seal the high spots/smearing in again. Or you would could use some polish on mf applicator pad and polishing them off. The thickness of the smearing high spots is way thicker than the rest of the protection layer. And since it's so durable it takes longer for it to wear down. The other problem is that the SiO2 protection products is very chemical resistant. So stripping a newly cured high spot take a very aggressive chemical to remove it. If you are fast and notice these directly after the wash. You can maybe reactivate it with the car soap solution and re-wash it and the like desolves the like can be helping you out.

And the down side is when washing hot panels and or in the sun. If the sun comes up small sections and work fast and rinse off it very thoroughly. Before you wash the section rinse it for a little longer time before you wash. So when you touch the panel it has cooled down from the rinse water and you get a longer working time when you wash and rinse off with the über SiO2 Wash. These kind of SiO2 car soaps is like the spray on rinse off products but you apply it on the same time as you wash. But it's the same kind of thoughts to have when rinse it off and how large of a sections you wash or apply them. Also that you don't use it on hot panels and out of the sunlight as that speeds up the cureing from them and you are not able to rinse them off before they have cured more than it should. So you get streaking and smearing.

Another thing with these stronger SiO2 protection car soaps. Is like with any stronger LSP if you use them too often and to close in time for a couple of times. The paint gets saturated with what it can build up on the protection from these products. And less is able to bond and it gets harder to rinse it off clearly and you get streaking and smearing from them. So a product like this I would not use more than every other week or every month. And in between a car soap that leaves nothing behind or if wanted to maybe some glossenhancers.

Did I mention that you need to be rinsing these kind of products very thoroughly off the vehical. Sorry but this is so important to do to not get a mess from them. And out of the sunlight and work in smaller sections than wash the whole car before you rinse it off. If you don't do this the risk of getting streaking/smearing/high spots gets very high.

/ Tony
    Thanks Tony,
    I definitely didn't realize how sensitive this wash is to the sun and heat. Thought I was washing and rinsing fast enough...and was washing before the sun came up. However, I'm in Colorado at about 6800 ft elevation. The sun is pretty intense. Won't make that mistake again!

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Can't say I've had any issues like that with this product. Though any soap is going to leave marks if it dries in the sun prior to being rinsed. Did you use too strong a mixture perhaps??

Thanks...I don't think so. I'm pretty careful about measuring how much I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lkaten View Post
    Thanks Jim,
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer didn't take it off. Would you have a suggestion for a polish to use for this?

Louie
    Something like megs ultimate polish, 205, 210 or any finer polish you have.just so it has some light abrasives in it.
    Jim

13. Thanks lkaten thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    The bottle says something like "mix up to 2 ounces to 3-5 gallons of water" which isn't super precise to begin with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast