autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sometimes it’s not about being perfect.

If they ever wanted to make the trunk and roof look a lot better, it wouldn’t be too much to vinyl wrap those areas. I have an 01 Accord in white. Luckily with zero clear problems.

2. Likes oneheadlite, Ochnob, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Phenomenal job and story. Car looks incredible. Those cars would be like the greatest affordable car in history if not for the clearcoat failures they are plagued by.

You should be proud today you deserve it
    Agreed. After the job I notice a ton of those old Accords and a ton of them have CCF. I drove the car. Functionally it’s in great condition.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I wonder what that new clear coat restorer product from carpro would do to that ccf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochnob View Post
    While I don’t have a need for it myself I would be intrigued at some point to try that new Optimum Clear restorer. Also seems like a cool product. But in this situation I had to deal with what was already in my arsenal.
    It will not do anything for failed clear coat or clear coat that is on the verge of failing. Speaking from experience.

5. Thanks fightnews, mc2hill thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome story and write up and pictures!

Great work and you do what you can and mostly that's enough for most people. And just see the joy in the kids eyes is worth a lot.

Cool how Gyeon CanCoat was able to mask the clearcoat failure. It's something I put in my mind if I get in a situation like this.

/ Tony

7. Likes Ochnob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome story and write up and pictures!

Great work and you do what you can and mostly that's enough for most people. And just see the joy in the kids eyes is worth a lot.

Cool how Gyeon CanCoat was able to mask the clearcoat failure. It's something I put in my mind if I get in a situation like this.

/ Tony
    oh yeah that ones definitely going in the vault. I bet even gyeon doesnt know that.

Post Thanks / Like

Some things in life we take for granted, While others find them a true blessing.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

10. Likes Ochnob, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work! I agree that it in many cases isn't about being perfect. I offer a variety of packages and my base package tag-line is "When Value Matters as Much as the Results" the next one up is a one-step and it's tag line is "Looking for Great Results but not Chasing Perfection"

Not everyone is going for 90-100% correction. In your case it was more emotion and thought that actually looking for you to "fix" what they know is broken. I can absolutely relate to what you did as I would feel just like your customer. What you provided them meant more than a perfect car. You helped them provide a good feeling and well intentioned thought to someone they cared about. That's powerful.

Nice job all around!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Thanks Ochnob thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    If they ever wanted to make the trunk and roof look a lot better, it wouldn’t be too much to vinyl wrap those areas. I have an 01 Accord in white. Luckily with zero clear problems.
    That’s really a great idea.

We’ve got a black race car in the shop that had been wrapped before we got it. Stripped off the wrap as it wasn’t our style, and found the roof was in really rough shape (and the sunroof filler panel was white). A friend of ours had done a small amount of vinyl work (read: amateur), so he wrapped it in black vinyl. He was in a hurry and split the piece as he was stretching it. He finished it up, making it look as best he could, volunteering to come back and redo it. Turns out, just being uniform black it blends in enough you don’t even notice unless you look hard at it.

Moral of the story, even if it’s not a super pro wrap job, just being uniform will make those areas disappear from view, especially with how great you got the rest of the car looking! And worst case scenario, not like you have to worry about pulling the clear off if you re-do it.

14. Thanks Ochnob thanked for this post
    Likes Ochnob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It will not do anything for failed clear coat or clear coat that is on the verge of failing. Speaking from experience.
    You may be right. But on a car that has the beginning of CCF using Cancoat or another product can make it look better, much less noticeable, and may slow the degradation. There were a lot of other little spots that had the beginnings of failure. Circled here is a spot that the clear was starting to fail. Besides the moss covering the car your eye always seem to be drawn to the glaring white spot in a black car.

Again the goal was not to fix it. But to simply mask it so the eye was not drawn to that spot. Here is the end result. While still there, it wasn’t glaring and pulling my eye to it anymore. From a couple feet away it was hardly noticeable. For me this was a revelation.

There were a bunch of little spots like this that I got to “disappear” and “hide” from the naked eye. To be clear I am not sure how long it will last. The clear will continue to fail. But whether you are a detailer or just a weekend warrior like me, hiding these little spots could make all the difference in how someone views their vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

16. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OP, you’re thread got me so juiced that I had to go and
    rinseless wash our Accord this morning. We rarely drive it but we’re gonna take it out today and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes JustJesus, Ochnob liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast