autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's G9 observation...

From the videos I've seen, the polisher seems to be MUCH better balanced with their 6" backing plate. The 5' backing plate looks to really wobble.
    '03 Corvette Z06

2. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's G9 observation...

Thanks for that tip. Just saw this in the latest GG sales magazine I got in the mail. Nice looking machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one with a 5" backing plate and I have no wobble. Have had it maybe 3 weeks now and have had no problems with it.
    Great machine.

5. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting observation on the 5". I have the 6" on my G9 which is coming in handy on my 35' 5th wheel I am currently working on, but my next projects will be my wife's car and my truck where I suspect the 5" might be the better choice. Right now I am on the fence whether to go ahead with the 6" on the vehicles, or get the 5". Hoping to read more on the 5" from others who have taken the plunge.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

I have read about about vibration issues but its hard to say unless a person has actually used the machine

8. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had mine quite a while, 5 inch only. You’ll have no issues at all. I put it up against any 15 da out there!

10. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I can’t say from my time using my G9 (complete 2 step on a Q5) that I thought the vibration was excessive/notably higher with the 5” plate on it.

Throughout the course of the detail, I changed pads/formats quite a bit (all with Griot’s pads). I used 5.5” BOSS pads, “regular” pads, and BOSS Microfiber (red foam version) pads. I also used 6.5” regular and BOSS pads.

One observation that I did have was that there was seemingly no drawback to using the 6.5” thick pads. The machine never broke a sweat maintaining pad rotation (usually around speed 4.5), and actually maintained rotation better in the really contoured area where the side of the hood meets the front fenders than with the 5.5” BOSS pads. (I meant to take a picture - if I held my small handheld Milwaukee Rover stick light about 8 inches away, the contours made the light reflection S-shaped. Now I’ve gotta get a picture of it...)

Balanced is a great word for the machine though - with any pad setup the weight distribution of the machine is such that it’s super easy to find a comfortable hold on it while maintaining pressure against the paint.

I’ll be honest and say that at first it wasn’t as noticeable a difference in vibration level (IE: Less) from the GG6, but then I realized I was gripping the machine much tighter than I needed to while getting accustomed to it. Once I softened up it did strike me as smoother. You can also run it at a lower speed while still maintaining rotation which is nice.

Disclaimer I feel I always need to throw in - I’m no pro, so I don’t have countless hours with various tools; these are just my thoughts from my time with the GG6 and G9. I’ll be pulling it off the shelf again soon to start correcting my DD, which I’m really looking forward to.

12. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Interesting. I can’t say from my time using my G9 (complete 2 step on a Q5) that I thought the vibration was excessive/notably higher with the 5” plate on it.

Throughout the course of the detail, I changed pads/formats quite a bit (all with Griot’s pads). I used 5.5” BOSS pads, “regular” pads, and BOSS Microfiber (red foam version) pads. I also used 6.5” regular and BOSS pads.

One observation that I did have was that there was seemingly no drawback to using the 6.5” thick pads. The machine never broke a sweat maintaining pad rotation (usually around speed 4.5), and actually maintained rotation better in the really contoured area where the side of the hood meets the front fenders than with the 5.5” BOSS pads. (I meant to take a picture - if I held my small handheld Milwaukee Rover stick light about 8 inches away, the contours made the light reflection S-shaped. Now I’ve gotta get a picture of it...)

Balanced is a great word for the machine though - with any pad setup the weight distribution of the machine is such that it’s super easy to find a comfortable hold on it while maintaining pressure against the paint.

I’ll be honest and say that at first it wasn’t as noticeable a difference in vibration level (IE: Less) from the GG6, but then I realized I was gripping the machine much tighter than I needed to while getting accustomed to it. Once I softened up it did strike me as smoother. You can also run it at a lower speed while still maintaining rotation which is nice.

Disclaimer I feel I always need to throw in - I’m no pro, so I don’t have countless hours with various tools; these are just my thoughts from my time with the GG6 and G9. I’ll be pulling it off the shelf again soon to start correcting my DD, which I’m really looking forward to.
    Interesting you should mention that. Just got my G9 last weekend. I used Uro-fiber pads in both 5" and 6". I used the 6" first, then 5" and it sure seemed like the 6" did rotate better when up against a contoured area, but I decided it was just faulty perception due to not having enough run time with it. I thought it was my imagination so I'm glad to see you had the same results and I'm not losing my mind!

BTW, using Blackfire One Step with Uro-fiber pads was a killer one-step deal. I used it on my son's 2014 dark gray Malibu and the minor correction and gloss was amazing. I was in an extreme hurry so I quickly buzzed around the whole car only making two passes and wiping it off after I was all done. In my opinion, it finished out nicer than my long throw 21 using the same pad and product. Not sure about this setup for black paint but everything else it works great.

So far, I'm very pleased with this G9. ( and thanks to Mike Lambert for answering my 1 million questions about this machine a few weeks ago!)

14. Thanks oneheadlite, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    ... . I thought it was my imagination so I'm glad to see you had the same results and I'm not losing my mind!
    That's funny, because I was also wondering if I was crazy.

When I did my wife's car, it was a bit of a jam session to fit getting the whole car done in a short (for me) time span, I'm looking forward to taking my time doing my car. I'll be able to play a little more and really hone in on how different combos work.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed any significant difference in vibration from my 6" backing plate and pads compared to the 5" backing plate, both of which are the G9 designated backing plates for the polisher. I would say compared to my Rupes MK III, Chechnya S15, and Maxshine M15, they do feel better balanced with less vibration in the polishing action compared to my G9, especially at speeds 4-6. The G9 isn't excessively unbalanced, but in my opinion there's some room for improvement that they'll most likely implement over to the next gen Boss polishers. The G9 is still a clear upgrade to the GG6 and I'm happy with its performance for the price.

17. Thanks oneheadlite, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast