autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing and protecting car away from home at college - ONR safe enough?

Hello all. I am in college 300 miles away from home and store my car in a covered parking garage when I am not driving it. I would like some assistance on the best way to keep the car clean and protected. I plan on doing a full paint correction and ceramic coating in the springtime, as of right now I just wanna maintain the look until then.

One option would be going to the coin wash with my own buckets+shampoo so I can use their pressure washer system but use my own safe soaps that I know will not strip any protection I put on. I also would have all of my tire/wheel cleaners on hand but to do all 4 wheels/tires, rinse off, do an initial rinse of the car, then handwash and rinse off, would probably take two full cycles of coins which could be anywhere from $4-7 per wash. I am not sure if there would be adequate lubrication because I will not have the car soaked in foam like a foam cannon method would.

Another option would be going to the coin wash, start cleaning all 4 tires and wheels with P&S BrakeBuster, and then do a pressure rinse of the wheels/tires and do a blast rinse of the car. This could help knock down some clinging dirt/grime. I would then do an ONR wash which seems a lot more cost effective, but am concerned this method will just be too much of a hassle.

The third option would be a life-saver, doing mostly everything in the parking garage. If I did ONR washes 2x a week and never allow the car to get super dirty, I would be safe enough? I am concerned with needing dozens and dozens of microfibers and wash mitts to do it effectively and safely.

I am not loaded with money right now but take pride in keeping my car clean, so I am curious on what you would recommend for a balance of cost/time/simplicity.

I will also need to protect my car for the upcoming Chicago winter. I was thinking of Gyeon Cancoat or Gtechniq C2V3 (I much prefer liquid products) and then doing maintenance toppers with Beadmaker every wash since a gallon of it is so cheap in bulk and most people rave about the gloss it leaves behind.

Let me know what you guys think/recommend. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing and protecting car away from home at college - ONR safe enough?

I've been washing my car down in our underground parking structure for years now and before I got my Worx hydroshot 2 years ago I exclusively did RW and WW down there without a problem, even had a 2 gallon hand pump for rinsing down my tires and wheels, wells too, very slow but effective. I have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport and use 6 mg towels when doing a RW where I throw them in the bucket, make about 4 gallons of cleaning solution so I can pre-treat each panel ALOT, never a problem. As long as your technique is good don't sweat it and good luck at school.

What RW are you using?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey sounds like you know of all your options and it’s really going to come down to your choice. But I’ll give you my 2 cents on what I did when I was in college or would go on road trips. I always tried to get a good layer of protection on my vehicle prior to leaving . That was either in the form of PNS or CP reload. From there I preferred a using a self operated coin machine to maintain my truck. Shop around and you’ll find some cheaper ones. I always filled up 2 buckets with lids with water prior to leaving or if that wasn’t possible I would reuse 1 gallon jugs this way the water wouldn’t spill since I tend to have a heavy foot and swinging back end. As long as I kept up with vehicle and didn’t let it get too dirty i always felt like I had adequate lubrication. Since you plan on ceramic coating anyways you will end up polishing prior to applying so I wouldn’t worry about causing micro marring. If you’re really worried about micro marring I would use solo branded pump sprayers with your soap and water mix. It’s much faster than applying something like the IK foamer and still puts a layer of lubrication between the paint and the mitt. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Breese, what do these Solo sprayers do faster than IK's, just curious?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Breese, what do these Solo sprayers do faster than IK's, just curious?

I always felt like I spent more time laying down the foam and getting 100% coverage. The foam was awesome but covering a whole car would typically take me 5-10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    I always felt like I spent more time laying down the foam and getting 100% coverage. The foam was awesome but covering a whole car would typically take me 5-10 minutes.

Which IK are you using, LOLWashing and protecting car away from home at college - ONR safe enough? Btw are you going to school in Chicagoland?