autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash/Decon/Polish steps/products?

So after watching some videos, researching here on the forums, and recommendations, I think I'm going to go with Griot's Correcting Cream with their orange pads on my Torqx.

How many pads should I purchase to do my whole truck?
    What LSP should I use after?

Last step is sealant/wax

Post Thanks / Like

upwards of 6 or so depending on truck size. You don’t want to over-work the pads with accumulated product and have to stop and clean/dry them.
    Figure 1 for the hood and 2-3 per side of the truck. In the end, they're cheap.

I know Mike Phillips did an article or so on this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClintIsKING View Post
    So after watching some videos, researching here on the forums, and recommendations, I think I'm going to go with Griot's Correcting Cream with their orange pads on my Torqx.

How many pads should I purchase to do my whole truck?
    What LSP should I use after?

Last step is sealant/wax
    At least 6. Better to have 10-12.

It's way better to change out pads frequently than to overwork them and shorten their lives.

As for LSP, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Collinite 845, or Collinite 476s are my 3 favorites. (But there are tons of others).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks ClintIsKING thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was blown away at the difference between the V-line polishes and Griots BOSS. I actually was upset at the amount of extra work I did with the V stuff. It was so good with the lake country thin pros on GG6. Addictive good.

6. Thanks ClintIsKING thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    At least 6. Better to have 10-12.

It's way better to change out pads frequently than to overwork them and shorten their lives.

As for LSP, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Collinite 845, or Collinite 476s are my 3 favorites. (But there are tons of others).
    Damn, I wasn't expecting to need that many.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmarquis View Post
    I was blown away at the difference between the V-line polishes and Griots BOSS. I actually was upset at the amount of extra work I did with the V stuff. It was so good with the lake country thin pros on GG6. Addictive good.
    Yea I've settled on the Griots line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClintIsKING View Post
    Damn, I wasn't expecting to need that many.

You can get by with with less, but clean them on fly often like Mike teaches in his books/videos.

Also, a pad cleaning brush is a must in my opinion. It'll help knock off the excess product as you go.

But, these methods are still no substitute for having enough pads.

Post Thanks / Like

My son and I started his car with the thought we would use one pad, and cleaning in on the fly as Mike teaches, however, I believe we were using to much product and saturated the pad. So we stopped after doing the hood and front fenders, and I ordered more pads and some pad conditioner. Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Conditioner.

We finished by using the pad conditioner and using one pad per major section (driver side minus front fender, passenger side minus front fender, back end). Also, I believe the pad conditioner really helped prevent saturating the pad. It seemed to keep the product on the top of the pad better and seemed to improve cleaning on the fly. In the future I will use a minimum of 4 of each polishing pad.

For reference we used:

Step 1: Menzerna HC400 Polish on a Lake Country 5.5" CCS Orange Pad. Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound, Fast Gloss 400, FG400 compound , CCS foam buffing pads,foam polishing pads,lake country foam pads,foam polisher pads,buffer pads,lake county pads,porter cable pads,pads for air sander

Step 2: Menzerna SF3500 on a Lake Country 5.5" CCS White Pad. Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish

Step 3: Menzerna Powerlock on a Lake Country 5.5" CCS Black Pad. Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Nice.

Just to complicate your life even further, (because that's what we do here.....LOL) I would also look into the Griot's creams.

They work very well, have almost zero dusting, are sun friendly (maybe not a black car in Florida....), and remove very easily.

That's only part of what we do here, we also help you spend lots and lots of money on products, tools and invest a tremendous amount of your time reading .

11. Likes PaulMys, Jayfro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdbenge View Post
    That's only part of what we do here, we also help you spend lots and lots of money on products, tools and invest a tremendous amount of your time reading .
    Yes sir.

No doubting this!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5js View Post
    My son and I started his car with the thought we would use one pad, and cleaning in on the fly as Mike teaches, however, I believe we were using to much product and saturated the pad. So we stopped after doing the hood and front fenders, and I ordered more pads and some pad conditioner. Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Conditioner.

We finished by using the pad conditioner and using one pad per major section (driver side minus front fender, passenger side minus front fender, back end). Also, I believe the pad conditioner really helped prevent saturating the pad. It seemed to keep the product on the top of the pad better and seemed to improve cleaning on the fly. In the future I will use a minimum of 4 of each polishing pad.

For reference we used:

Step 1: Menzerna HC400 Polish on a Lake Country 5.5" CCS Orange Pad. Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound, Fast Gloss 400, FG400 compound , CCS foam buffing pads,foam polishing pads,lake country foam pads,foam polisher pads,buffer pads,lake county pads,porter cable pads,pads for air sander

Step 2: Menzerna SF3500 on a Lake Country 5.5" CCS White Pad. Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish

Step 3: Menzerna Powerlock on a Lake Country 5.5" CCS Black Pad. Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant
    I was going to try 7 (8 in total to have an extra). 1 for front fenders, 2 for doors. 2 for quarters. 1 for hood. 1 for roof/tailgate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast