autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine winters

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post
    It's kind of a losing battle. I'm in Boston and once the car is winter prepped, to do cleanings, I just hit it w/ ONR at a higher than normal dilution for rinseless via a tank sprayer to get things wet and start the crud flowing. then onto ONR and BRS, MF dry and home-made Elixir (Echo2 & Reload) as a topper. Maybe this year I'll try Sonax BSD
    Agreed - it is kind of losing battle. Even a rinseless would be difficult. Thinking one of the spray on sealants like Tony is using in Sweden may help in the battle. I'll use the other products (Like a concentrate mixed for rinseless, waterless, or QD) as long as I can.

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of a losing battle. I'm in Boston and once the car is winter prepped, to do cleanings, I just hit it w/ ONR at a higher than normal dilution for rinseless via a tank sprayer to get things wet and start the crud flowing. then onto ONR and BRS, MF dry and home-made Elixir (Echo2 & Reload) as a topper. Maybe this year I'll try Sonax BSD
    Don't give up, get a Worx hydroshot so you can rinse up under the car as well as the tires, wheels and wells. I've had mine for over 2 years and it's been great, not letting Mother Nature win here in ChicagolandSpray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine winters

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes bfielder32087, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This got me thinking. During the winter months where it's really only practical for me to go to a coin-op bay, what if washed and rinsed the vehicle, then applied Sonax BSD as a drying aid and then dried with some MF clothes? Or maybe even a 50/50 mix of Wolfgang Uber / Sonax BSD as a drying aid? Seems like this would get the vehicle clean while putting a bit of protection/beading/shine.

Then if we had a day that was nice enough I might get in a waterless or rinseless with a Wolfgang Uber / Sonax BSD mixed as appropriate for the application.

Hmm, might be worth giving this a try...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be afraid it's cold and it would streakSpray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine wintersSpray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine wintersSpray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine winters

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

For my SW Pa winter prep I am going back to DPC Spray sealant then use 50 / 50 mixture of BSD / V07 as a drying aid.. This worked will for me last winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'd be afraid it's cold and it would streakSpray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine wintersSpray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine wintersSpray On Sealants for keeping auto protected in Maine winters
    That would be acceptable. During the winter it's primarily to keep the surface cleaned or road salt and chemicals (calcium chloride, etc.), and attempt to keep a layer of protection through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    For my SW Pa winter prep I am going back to DPC Spray sealant then use 50 / 50 mixture of BSD / V07 as a drying aid.. This worked will for me last winter.
    So the DPC Sealant was applied before winter, then you maintained with BSD/V07 as a drying aid during the winter? Sounds like you were satisfied with that method as you are going to do it again this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5js View Post
    This got me thinking. During the winter months where it's really only practical for me to go to a coin-op bay, what if washed and rinsed the vehicle, then applied Sonax BSD as a drying aid and then dried with some MF clothes? Or maybe even a 50/50 mix of Wolfgang Uber / Sonax BSD as a drying aid? Seems like this would get the vehicle clean while putting a bit of protection/beading/shine.

Then if we had a day that was nice enough I might get in a waterless or rinseless with a Wolfgang Uber / Sonax BSD mixed as appropriate for the application.

Hmm, might be worth giving this a try...
    Since you have the Menzerna Powerlock as your base protection you don't have to be worried about your protection won't last over the winter. It's a very durable protection and is by many liked as the winter protection or year round protection here in Sweden. So I would trust that to get you through the winter even with less washing when you have the temperature in under the freezing point.

That said it's always nice to get a bump up in the looks and a little extra protection from it. And if you have problems with getting the car clean enough to top it up with something like the spray on rinse off products. I would look at going with something like the BSD or the QD solution you mentions. The BSD/V07 is well tried mix of products like Merlins Elixir is. So that would be an option to go with if you want to mix the BSD with something. Also Powerlock has a great performance in the water behavior and self cleaning ability from it. So be casious if you want to have that high performance from it when you chose what you use on it. BSD would keep it up but I would also look at Carpro EcH2O in waterless wash dilution or rinseless wash dilution or QD dilution. You get the gloss and it won't interfear with the Powerlocks performance. If you don't are able to do a bucket wash at the coin-op you can do a waterless wash or rinseless wash with EcH2O to get it more cleanly paint. The prerinse with the coin-op PW and if you want to and can I would do a pretreatment with a alkaline based degreaser in weak dilution before you PW clean rinsing it off. The Powerlock users here does that and also use what we call Cold Degreaser which is like a tar remover. The alkaline based degreaser in weak dilution before you PW clean rinsing it off helps you to get more grime off from the road salt and road film and all it gets on the car. I can see or if other chaims in on what can be used as this. You use a pressure pump spray bottle to spread it out over the car or you can use a foam pump sprayer to get a little longer dwell time. As long as you don't aggitate these degreasers most sealants stand up to these and Powerlock is one of them that do so. And you get less dirt for the waterless wash or rinseless wash to handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Since you have the Menzerna Powerlock as your base protection you don't have to be worried about your protection won't last over the winter. It's a very durable protection and is by many liked as the winter protection or year round protection here in Sweden. So I would trust that to get you through the winter even with less washing when you have the temperature in under the freezing point.

That said it's always nice to get a bump up in the looks and a little extra protection from it. And if you have problems with getting the car clean enough to top it up with something like the spray on rinse off products. I would look at going with something like the BSD or the QD solution you mentions. The BSD/V07 is well tried mix of products like Merlins Elixir is. So that would be an option to go with if you want to mix the BSD with something. Also Powerlock has a great performance in the water behavior and self cleaning ability from it. So be casious if you want to have that high performance from it when you chose what you use on it. BSD would keep it up but I would also look at Carpro EcH2O in waterless wash dilution or rinseless wash dilution or QD dilution. You get the gloss and it won't interfear with the Powerlocks performance. If you don't are able to do a bucket wash at the coin-op you can do a waterless wash or rinseless wash with EcH2O to get it more cleanly paint. The prerinse with the coin-op PW and if you want to and can I would do a pretreatment with a alkaline based degreaser in weak dilution before you PW clean rinsing it off. The Powerlock users here does that and also use what we call Cold Degreaser which is like a tar remover. The alkaline based degreaser in weak dilution before you PW clean rinsing it off helps you to get more grime off from the road salt and road film and all it gets on the car. I can see or if other chaims in on what can be used as this. You use a pressure pump spray bottle to spread it out over the car or you can use a foam pump sprayer to get a little longer dwell time. As long as you don't aggitate these degreasers most sealants stand up to these and Powerlock is one of them that do so. And you get less dirt for the waterless wash or rinseless wash to handle.
    Thanks again Tony. I have been looking at either the Wolfgang Uber/Sonax BSD or the Carpro Ech2o/Reload mixed as a waterless or QD for general touch ups between major details. Then in the winter using this as a drying aid after the coin-op wash/rinse. I also have seen posts for the BSD/V07. Sounds like either of these will work well for my needs.

Also - I do like the idea of a pre-treatment to loosen some of the winter road chemicals (salt/calcium chloride/etc.) Would be interested in the specific product you call Cold Degreaser and as what ratio people mix this at for a pre-treatment on paint. Is this the product they use? SONAX Engine Cleaner

Oh, and next summer I may mix whichever I end up at a rinseless concentration and give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like

You have some options to go with. Sonax Engine degreaser I think is too strong. What the cold degreasers is are they have a mix of petroleum based chemicals. These we use from the front fenders and back of the car. But stops right before the side windows rubber seals. And we don't get over that as it can run down into the doors and desolve the rust protection inside of them. I have used Carpro TarX but it's an expensive product to use. But it's also mostly if you get problems with tar spots. We get a lot of them because of how they makes the asphalt here in Sweden. And also that many vehicals uses studded winter tires which wears a lot on the roads and we need to be useing a tar remover/Cold Degreaser monthly during the winter months and until the road salt gets off the roads. The rest we use alkaline based degreaser either in a TFR foam or with spraying them on.

Gtechnic W4 Citrus Foam can be used in a spray bottle or pressure pump spray bottle to cover the vehical. Let it dwell and PW clean rinsing it off. You can use it in a foamcannon or foam pump sprayer in 1:200-1:400 when it lands on the vehical. This is a good option to go with IMO.

GTechniq W4 Citrus Foam

Carpro MultiX is another good option to go with. It say for prewash dilution 1:1-1:20. This is also a very effective cleaner and I have seen some useing it as a pretreatment/prewash product and it was more than effective at 1:10 on the road salt covered car. So I would start with 1:20 or even 1:30 and then find the sweet spot dilution for you.

CarPro MultiX All Purpose Cleaner Concentrate

3D Yellow Degreaser 106 is also something I think would work great as a prewash treatment. Same as the Carpro MultiX start at 1:30 and work your way to the sweet spot. You will notice this if you use the water pressure from the PW to clean with and see from that how much it's aid the cleaning ability.

3D Yellow Degreaser 106 128 oz.

3D Super Presoak seems also to fit the prewash treatment. Don't know if AGO has got the wrong dilutions on this. If it's what they claims it's a very economical prewash product in the longrun as up to 1:1800 and down to 1:1000 gets you an extreme value. But I looked at the Super Soap which has the same dilution which is awesome for a car soap too. I think it can been mixed up on the Presoak product. If not I would buy it asap LOL. The 3D Super Duty degreaser seems interesting to use as a Cold Degreaser where it might not get any tar off it desolves the heavy oily road film that gets the side panels and the back of the car during the winter months. Could be worth to try out if you notice you might need something stronger on these parts. Or the 3D Super Citrus APC is another one that claims to desolve tar spots and tree sap and such of grime winter weather gets. The same here start with a weak dilution and ad more if needed. The 3D Super line of products I think have been interesting since it came out. It's more concentrated and you dilute it weaker than other products.

3D Super Pre-Soak

3D Super Duty Degreaser

https://www.autogeek.net/3d-super-citrus-apc.html

Many options I throw on you. But the products I use is not many available in the US. And I'm pretty dialed in with what products I use during the winter months. We have different offerings here to like Sonax we have 3 different products that is mostly for the winter months but also great when doing the decon washes. They have a product like Carpro TRIX where you have both the tar remover and iron remover in it. Not the most effective in either part but when you need it for winter dirty vehicals it's usefull. And yes we use maybe more chemicals here for the washes. But it's mostly cause it's not fun to get fresh tar spots in your wash mitt when washing. And not fun getting it in the washer either to clean the wash media. Then you hold many off the bonded contaminants off in the longrun. For an example I have not clayed my car or the one I maintain in over 2 years now. It's not perfectly clean like right after a polishing. But you hardly feel them with a baggie test. So we have a little difference between us on how use different products. And also what the manufactures are makeing products that you use on the cars is different. Turtle Wax has also other products here in EU and actually their Cold Degreaser is in the top tier of them and I have used it many times before. As you have offerings that we don't have. Especially Meguiars #7 I'm bummed to not have access to other than to import it from the UK. The pbmg brands and GG and 3D and LC and B&S is brands that's not available here either. But get what's available for us and that's a lot of products to chose from LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12