autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Preferred Protection for a Black Car

Hello. Very first post on here. Been reading a lot. I purchased a black car about 3 months ago, a Kia Forte. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to make the car easier to maintain, as I'm just learning how easily the car gets dirty. I haven't put down any type of protection yet. Should I put down some wax? Sealant? Both? Which ones? I understand the process to get to the protection phase, as it takes good prep. I plan to wash the car, and clay bar it before I apply any type of protection. Some type of water beading would be nice. I think I'll stay away from ceramic coatings for now as it seems like they are more suited to advanced detailers. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Also as an aside, I do have some mico marring on the car. I probably won't get to correcting that for at least for a few months. I may take a detailing class, and then I'll have to purchase a DA Orbital Polisher. I understand that if I put down a long lasting sealant that I won't be able to correct this marring until it wears off, which I'm fine with for now. Gotta take it one step at a time. I'm still fine tuning my wash routine lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preferred Protection for a Black Car

I recommend Collinite 845 for longevity and water beading and gloss

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes mckobe liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by omnipotent View Post

Hello. Very first post on here. Been reading a lot. I purchased a black car about 3 months ago, a Kia Forte. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to make the car easier to maintain, as I'm just learning how easily the car gets dirty. I haven't put down any type of protection yet. Should I put down some wax? Sealant? Both? Which ones?
    If you're going to apply by hand, I would recommend a good one-step cleaner/sealant like the BLACKFIRE One Step. This is an amazing product mostly because of the incredible abrasive technology it uses. I always apply by machine but it will work fine by hand. And as long as you let it fully dry, it will wipe off very easy.

Then down the road, after you purchase an orbital polisher, you can use the same product with the orbital polisher and I'm not kidding when I say, you can get PRO RESULTS your very first time.

I really can't type much today, tomorrow or until next week. I'm still writing TV scripts for our upcoming shoot at My Classic Car with Dennis Gage, I have a new product review to type out and I'm setting the garage up for my big 3-day class.

Training Cars for the 2019 September 3-day Detailing Bootcamp Class

I would not steer you wrong, it is a great product. Later, down the road you can always test out other products but this is a STAPLE product everyone should own.

Also - if you click the link above you'll see pictures of just how bad the yellow Ford is. My class this weekend is going to fix the paint on this Ford using BLACKFIRE One Step. The class will be BLOWN away.

I have one last roadshow class coming up in Allentown, Pennsylvania in about 3 weeks. It is ALL hands on.

5. Likes GAMBIT61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello. Very first post on here. Been reading a lot. I purchased a black car about 3 months ago, a Kia Forte. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to make the car easier to maintain, as I'm just learning how easily the car gets dirty. I haven't put down any type of protection yet. Should I put down some wax? Sealant? Both? Which ones? I understand the process to get to the protection phase, as it takes good prep. I plan to wash the car, and clay bar it before I apply any type of protection. Some type of water beading would be nice. I think I'll stay away from ceramic coatings for now as it seems like they are more suited to advanced detailers. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Also as an aside, I do have some mico marring on the car. I probably won't get to correcting that for at least for a few months. I may take a detailing class, and then I'll have to purchase a DA Orbital Polisher. I understand that if I put down a long lasting sealant that I won't be able to correct this marring until it wears off, which I'm fine with for now. Gotta take it one step at a time. I'm still fine tuning my wash routine lol.
    Being that your car is black..I wouldn't clay until your ready to machine polish.

It's untrue that you would have to wait for the sealant to wear off before polishing. Polishing, even a fine polish will remove any sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Claying can likely produce marring, so yeah, don’t clay until you’re ready to polish.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

8. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d say the OP is fine to clay the car if using a one step product after, even by hand as Mike has said.

There are so many products that it’s hard to recommend just one. Im a big fan of Collinite 845 as well, but Meguiars M26 hi tech yellow looks awesome on black. So does Meguiars Ultimate Wax. You could also buy something like Duragloss Aquawax and use that after every other wash, it will leave protection on the paint.

To the OP, where are you located?
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO....it's a great forum/community and you'll find it's an amazing place to learn about detailing!

This is has been a pretty popular topic in the last few days!!

I took Mike's advice back in May/June and used BF One Step and Sonax PNS on my black Acura with great/amazing success, it look amazing! If your going to clay your car, I would use a Fine Mitt from Blackfire, black cars are little finicky for marring...or at least showing the marring compared to a white car. The Fine Mitt from Blackfire (or another reputable company) works a little slower since it's less aggressive than a standard mitt or clay, it may take a 5-10 minutes longer to do but you'll reduce the chance of marring the paint. I can do my car in about 30-35 minutes...but im very careful with it!

I just changed over to Pinnacle Souveran Wax from PNS in August, there were no issues taking PNS off but I did a quick Polish with a DA before applying the Wax.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't put down any type of protection yet.
    Should I put down some wax? Sealant? Both?
    Which ones?

I think I'll stay away from ceramic
    coatings for now...

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
    For protection (and with *Coatings out
    of the picture) I’ll suggest using Sealants.

The Sealant that I prefer is:
    Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax
    {Yes, AFAIC: it is Sealant}

*FK1000P has characteristics that
    behave similarly to those that are
    inherent to many Coatings, IMO.

Some type of water beading would be nice.
    Its type of water-beading?
    IMO: It’s some kind of nice!

{On second thought...
    No. Actually it’s: “Some Kind of Wonderful"
    ~Soul Brothers Six, ca.1967
    ~Grand Funk Railroad, ca.1974}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    I’d say the OP is fine to clay the car if using a one step product after, even by hand as Mike has said.

There are so many products that it’s hard to recommend just one. Im a big fan of Collinite 845 as well, but Meguiars M26 hi tech yellow looks awesome on black. So does Meguiars Ultimate Wax. You could also buy something like Duragloss Aquawax and use that after every other wash, it will leave protection on the paint.

To the OP, where are you located?

So you think the AIO is going to hide the marring that the clay will cause on black paint?

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used BF one step on my car after I marred the crap out of the entire car using an inferior AIO as well as a a couple of minor marres from claying, it worked like a champ...I did use a da with BF one step, not by hand. This was also recommended by Mike, hence me being a huge fan of BF, Mike, and the entire AGO community.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast