autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Wash/Detail Between Regular Detailing

What do recommend between regular details for the exterior? I do live in Maine so I understand the answer may be different between winter and the rest of the year.

I have a coin-operated touchless car wash less than a mile from my house. I like to go there and get the undercarriage sprayed, the exterior washed, and then a blow dry. After I slowly drive home – and break out the leaf blower and drying towel to dry any areas missed (mirrors, seams, door jams, etc).

The question is – now what should I put on the paint after these between detail washes? (Note: I have Menzerna Powerlock for a sealant). I have been using Maguiar’s Ultimate Quik Detailer. Is there a better product for use in between detailing? Would I be better off with waterless wash? Would I be better off with a quick wax? I understand as time passes products and methodologies change. Just trying to see what the best product to use over the sealant between details.

I guess a related question is, what product is recommended between details for safely removing bird droppings, bug guts, or water spots after a rain storm instead of going for a complete car wash?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Wash/Detail Between Regular Detailing

Try something like this: Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray

This has a little carnauba in it to enhance the gloss and maintain between details. Application is super easy, the paint feels buttery smooth, and the gloss is great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
    Try something like this: Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray

This has a little carnauba in it to enhance the gloss and maintain between details. Application is super easy, the paint feels buttery smooth, and the gloss is great.
    I'll second EJR8402 idea of the Crystal Mist...I use it on my car weekly and will actually use it this evening when I get home! It is amazing stuff!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing indeed. It’s my favorite top shelf QD. Works incredible with Souveran !
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a rinseless wash.

You'll love it.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Try a rinseless wash.

You'll love it.
    what product do you recommend for a rinseless wash?

Post Thanks / Like

I like Wolfgang Uber.

ONR is also a great RW product.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a rinseless product as it’s usually a concentrate and can mix at a waterless, rinseless, or quick detailer dilution. I like to mix a waterless with a little sio2 sealant to add a bit of protection while cleaning.

Heard great things about ONR. I prefer McKee’s 37 over Wolfgang. I feel it wipes off easier in waterless dilution. I also like Car pros Ech20 also. Definitely would recommend using something stronger than a QD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I like a rinseless product as it’s usually a concentrate and can mix at a waterless, rinseless, or quick detailer dilution. I like to mix a waterless with a little sio2 sealant to add a bit of protection while cleaning.

Heard great things about ONR. I prefer McKee’s 37 over Wolfgang. I feel it wipes off easier in waterless dilution. I also like Car pros Ech20 also. Definitely would recommend using something stronger than a QD
    Is the recommendation to do a rinseless wash over vice the touchless coin-op, or do the coin-op then use the rinseless wash as the detailer?

As I said above, I do understand time passes and products/methodologies change. Just wanting to understand what benefits a rinseless provides over a QD. Do the rinseless products provide better cleaning, better surfactants (safer), better protection, longer lasting, or a better shine? I’m guessing they provide better cleaning and have better surfactants?? Is this at the expense of protection provided or longevity?

Oh, and is a rinseless the best product for cleaning spot areas such as bird droppings, bug guts, etc. or is there a better product for these specific problems? Less products are preferred but at the same time I want to use the correct product for the job.

Thanks all for the responses!

So far recommendations appear that the Pinnacle Crystal Mist would be a comparable but better product then the Maguiar’s UQD that I am currently using, but a rinseless may provide additional benefit?

EDIT: Sorry I get confused between waterless and rinseless. In between details I would likely do a coin-op wash then perhaps a rinseless. Being in Maine we get a lot of chemical on the road that need to be rinsed off the undercarriage - which I get when I go to the coin-operated touchless. When I wrote the above I was thinking of a waterless vice a rinseless.
    Last edited by 5js; 09-26-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: confused waterless/rinseless

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be some good info here regarding this topic, particularly from Nick. How to determine if u need wash or quick detail?

From that thread gather that I do NOT want a Spray Wax as I would not categorize that surface as "squeaky clean and free of any dust, dirt, or contaminants" after a tocuhless coin-op wash. Seems to always leave some residual dust and contaminants (though the dirt should be removed). I probably would not ever use a Spray Wax because if I went through the process of truly cleaning and decontaminating the surface then I would take the time to apply a sealant (though I may also use a polish prior to the sealant if the post wash/decon inspection revealed scratches or marring).

A Quick Detailer would likely suit my needs as it will have carnuba and/or polymers to spruce up the appearance and has the ability to remove "light dust".

A Waterless Wash sounds like it would also suit my need and be able to deal with a bit more residual dust/dirt but may not offer properties to spruce up the appearance (shine). However, I do recognize that thread is 5 years old and the Waterless or Rinseless product may have changed to add some carnuba and/or polymers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast