autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with new Grit Guard Pad Washer - Is it me?

Got a chance to use my new Grit Guard Pad Washer for the first time today after watching umpteen videos online. Cleaned pads with Rupes 21 Mk II and Griot's 3" Random Orbital.

I set up the washer per the instructions, but the problem I immediately encountered is that my polishers do not extend deep enough into the pail to enable the pads to make anything more than partial contact with the scrubber, and that's with the polisher at an angle. Consequently, my results were far less than expected. No way I could get the pads flat against the scrubber, which led to lousy rotation, sub-par cleaning.

I can't believe I'm the only person to encounter this issue. I was thinking I'd have to put something at the bottom of the bucket to raise the entire grit guard mechanism and fill the bucket with water higher.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with new Grit Guard Pad Washer - Is it me?

I noticed the same issue as you therefor as you have found out one must angle the polisher with pad which in my case using a Flex polisher allows for good contact with the scrubber surface (I do have to keep the opening slightly more open than the instructions recommend. Then to spin dry I raise pad off the scrubber and close the baffles as recommended. It did take some playing around to get it working correctly (play around with the water level, but safety first)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

3. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

I'll try to help,

I understand what you're saying about the underside of the tool body hitting the top of the lid preventing the pad from extending all the way into the bucket to make contact with the grit guard insert.

That's why I use an extension on a rotary buffer like I show here from 2012, the video is from 2010

Video: Tip for cleaning pads in a pad washer

I took this picture some time ago to show how you can use an adapter or extension on a rotary buffer to make cleaning a pad easier when cleaning pads in a pad washer.

How it works
    When using the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer, the correct technique is to pump the pad up and down against the Grit Gard Insert as this causes the spring loaded water pumps to pump or inject water and/or water and cleaning solution into the face of the pad.

By using an extension you make it easier to pump or move the rotary buffer up and down inside the pad washer without the body of the rotary buffer bumping into the Splash Guard Lid.

This video uses a when cleaning a pad but it shows and explains how the water pumps work and how to pump any polisher up and down against the Grit Guard Insert inside the pad washer.

How to use a Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

On Autogeek.net

Lake Country Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter

Optimum Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter

I'm guessing you don't have a rotary so here's a tip for using the RUPES 21, simply use a more exaggerated up and down movement and a faster up and down movement. This will flush more of the cleaning solution into the pad and help with whatever contact you can get with the face of the pad and the grit guard insert.

Another option would be to get an interface pad, or two and attach these to your backing plate and then attach the pads to the interface pads.

Here's some pictures of what interface pads look like and how they work from a reply I wrote for boat detailing.

Which pad should I use for AIO Marine 31 Polish/Wax?

We do stock a Meguiar's and a 3M interface pad but these are both 6". The hook and loop matches but in order to use it you would have to take some scissors and cut it down a little.

Not sure if any of the above helps... but I'm trying...

5. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike:

Thanks for your helpful post. I wouldn't be a certified Autogeeker if I hadn't watched your video and many others before buying the pad washer .

I like your idea about the interface pads. I will look into that. I will also take Markymapo's advice above and play around a bit with water height to get a better result.

I also spoke this morning with Luan at Grit Guard (btw, she thinks you are Da Man!). She suggested putting another grit guard under the Support Base to elevate all the innards. The Grit Guard brand is too high to make this practical, but I have some CG cyclone guards that are only 1.5" high, which just might do it. If that works, it will make mid-polishing pad cleanings a breeze.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
    Peter

7. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

I've never tried the "Interface Idea", it's just an idea that came to me while thinking about your situation.

I'm so busy with other things this week I thought I would throw the idea out there versus try it. If you like, I'll send you a couple of interface pads and let you do the testing and see if it helps.

I show the Grit Guard Pad Washer at all my classes and it is an effective way to clean pads.

PM me your shipping address.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

What speed do you put a rotary on to use with the Grit Guard Washer?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PM5C View Post
    She suggested putting another grit guard under the Support Base to elevate all the innards. The Grit Guard brand is too high to make this practical, but I have some CG cyclone guards that are only 1.5" high, which just might do it. If that works, it will make mid-polishing pad cleanings a breeze.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
    Peter
    Peter, and thank you for posting this thread and sharing that tip as well. I don't own a pad washer, but sometimes do think about getting one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

PM me your shipping address.

Sent today.

Sorry for the delay, Friday, Saturday and Sunday was my 3-day class, Monday I did IDA Skills Validation testing for detailers and then Tuesday the boss gives me the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post
    Mike,

What speed do you put a rotary on to use with the Grit Guard Washer?

Thanks

Low speed. I think on the FLEX PE14 I lock the speed lock and the lowest speed in locked mode is 600 RPM, but you can go to 1000 RPM and even higher if that's the slowest your rotary will go.

The deal is with a rotary, you've got LOTS of power that you don't need to flush the pads out.

13. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Peter, and thank you for posting this thread and sharing that tip as well. I don't own a pad washer, but sometimes do think about getting one.
    I have to say, that even with the not-as-expected experience I had as a first-timer, it was a vastly superior experience to spending 10 minutes hunched over my kitchen sink scrubbing with a pad cleaning brush and inhaling cleaning solution fumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PM5C View Post
    I have to say, that even with the not-as-expected experience I had as a first-timer, it was a vastly superior experience to spending 10 minutes hunched over my kitchen sink scrubbing with a pad cleaning brush and inhaling cleaning solution fumes.
    Sounds like me. Except, I use the bathroom sink. And it's usually more than 10 min for me. I'll keep the Pad Washer in mind for Christmas time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast