autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

(Door/Window/trunk/Sunroof) Rubber seals cleaner+protectant AIO-Meguiar's M5716SP?

The rubber seals of my 2006 Sentra are breaking down. Last 3/4 years I have been trying various products to clean, protect, maintain those seals but none seem to be working. Many of these products have been quoted here on the board so I don't know what I am doing wrong. The interior seals are not brittle but the outside ones are not in good shape. Some are brittle and falling apart.
    The rubber seals around the trunk leak that in the middle of the winter the spare tire is frozen in ice. I can not find where it is leaking from.

The sunroof seals of the Forester have turned spotty white but they don't leak yet. Some pictures for reference.

This is vinyl trim

Feel like the rubber on the ends is breaking apart (but is not brittle, yet)

Spotty rubber (Forester's sunroof seals look pretty similar)

This rubber seal was softer but now it is hard and brittle.

My questions -
    - Do folks on this board use term the seal and trim interchangeably? To me, the trim is the plastic/vinyl component outside and the seal is the one that actually seals (wind, water etc) inside and outside the vehicle. While going through older threads, I felt it has been used interchangeably so wasn't too sure if the product claimed for the trim can also be used for the rubber seals on the doors, windows, the trunk or the sunroof.
    (Pls correct me if I am wrong in my trim/seal understanding.)

- To clean the rubber seals, I have used carwash soap, APC (but not dish soap) with the toothbrush and I have not been able to clean those seals very well. This year esp, they are pretty bad due to the pollen fixing their place in the crevices (esp for Sentra with its crappy design). What other option do I have?

- Is there a significant difference between the products made for RV/Marine and for regular auto use? For example, while searching for Meguair's M39 and M40 mentioned on one of the threads, I came across Meguiar's(R) Marine/RV Vinyl and Rubber, Cleaner & Conditioner, 16 oz. To me, this looks like an AIO, cleans as well as protects rubber and vinyl. I didn't find this product mentioned on the board. If this is not suitable one, is there any other AIO product that will not only clean but protect the rubber seal as well.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: (Door/Window/trunk/Sunroof) Rubber seals cleaner+protectant AIO-Meguiar's M5716SP?

Good question on whether the folks here use the term seal and trim interchangeably, so I am subscribing to hear that answer.

As far as what I have done is the "trim" I clean and treat twice yearly, first by using Mother's Heavy duty trim cleaner, and follow that up with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (actually will be looking at a trim coating soon, as I would rather only have to do this once a year).

In regards to the seals, there are a few places on my wife's Escape that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of the discoloration you mention.

With that said, all my pieces of trim get 303 Protectant, in order to keep them from getting brittle. Also helps them from freezing shut during the winter. My reason is that really don't care what they look like; more important to me is to keep them in good shape.

I'm sure more definitive answers will come. I have never had an issue of water getting in my trunk down into the spare. My DD is a 2009 Yaris, and the only issue with the trunk seal is it being pulled off when pulling 2x4s out after visiting Home Depot

Good luck...Eric
    Last edited by ejaf; 09-23-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: wrong spelling of whether

Post Thanks / Like

Re: (Door/Window/trunk/Sunroof) Rubber seals cleaner+protectant AIO-Meguiar's M5716SP?

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    Good question on whether the folks here use the term seal and trim interchangeably, so I am subscribing to hear that answer.

As far as what I have done is the "trim" I clean and treat twice yearly, first by using Mother's Heavy duty trim cleaner, and follow that up with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (actually will be looking at a trim coating soon, as I would rather only have to do this once a year).

In regards to the seals, there are a few places on my wife's Escape that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of the discoloration you mention.

With that said, all my pieces of trim get 303 Protectant, in order to keep them from getting brittle. Also helps them from freezing shut during the winter. My reason is that really don't care what they look like; more important to me is to keep them in good shape.

I'm sure more definitive answers will come. I have never had an issue of water getting in my trunk down into the spare. My DD is a 2009 Yaris, and the only issue with the trunk seal is it being pulled off when pulling 2x4s out after visiting Home Depot

Good luck...Eric
    Im a mechanic for a living so ill break this down how it comes to me. I consider trim to be the textured plastic, and the rubber that surrounds the windows when rolled up. I consider seals to be the rubber that is inside the doors when they are closed along with the trunk. for my trim I like WETS, for seals I have not had to apply anything to mine, but 303 makes a rubber seal conditioner and protectant. If its anything like their other products im sure its amazing. I have honestly never picked up a 303 product I wasn't happy with.

Post Thanks / Like

For the trunk lid rubber seals and door and door jambs and the hood rubber seals. Get you a bottle of 303 Rubber Seal Protectant. Not just very effective during the winter months when these can freeze. But also rejuvenate the rubber seals in a way I didn't think was possible. A good friend of mine had a Chevrolet Caprice 4doors HT '70 and if not the original then very old rubber seals. They had started to fall apart and you couldn't wipe with a mf towel on them as you where catching on to the old rubber and it would break even more. This also creates a high wind noise from them on a HT. So tried to clean them as good as possible with almost just dabbing when cleaning them. And just for fun and see if it did something to these rubber seals as he was going to be buying new ones. I applyied the 303 Rubber Seal Protectant in 2 layers as they soaked it up fast. Let it dry for a few hours with the doors opened. The next day I drove it back to him and it where almost no wind noise from them at all. There where 2 places where the rubber seals was broken off. And what we could hear it where only the wind noise from those places. Don't know how how it works on the outside of the rubber seals. But there I would try the 303 Aerospace Protectant instead. So I got to be a believer in the 303 Rubber Seal Protectant to say the least LOL.

303 Rubber Seal Protectant

Nextzett Gummi Pflege is another well knowned rubber stick that many like on the inside of the rubber seals.

Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege

Plastic is trim for me and rubber is seals. Then you have some car modells that have rubber trim instead of plastic trim. The rubber trim has no seal ability. One thing that you useally have on rubber seals is holes in them that the rain water and the air gets in and out. Especially on the trunk lid rubber seals these can be sealed with dirt. So cleaning them good with cotton swab or needle if necessary so they are open always is important to check yearly. Also the door rubber seals you get to lay you down on the ground with the door opened and look so these holes in the rubber seals is open is good to look up. As it's around all plastic trim and rubber seals outside of the car that dirt build up don't have happened. There the rain water and also leftover rinse water from washing can be standing in these parts. Compressed air to blow out the dirt when it's dry and then long bristle brushes to really get to reach deep to clean them up. You can have rain channels that can also be shut with dirt. That can lead to the leak into your trunk for an example. Also it's not unusual on older cars that around windows you can have a rust problem under the rubber seal. This if you have it on the back window and also on the back side windows can leak into the trunk. And look at the spare tire compartment if you have some kind of rubber seals in the bottom that should be letting out the water that can be filled or covered with dirt.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that we are on the same page with regards to the trim and seals, I would like to focus on the rubber seals. The primary reason is to prevent them from freezing shut in winter.

For the last 3 to 4 years, I have been washing/cleaning the rubber seals with diluted car wash soap or diluted APC (Super clean 1:4) in a spray bottle. After drying, I apply 303 Rubber protectant or some silicone products to avoid the freezing part. None of that has helped. So my guess is, there is a problem with my cleaning process. Probably, I am not able to clean it well hence not getting the effect of the products that work with others.

How would you recommend me to clean them? I don't have access to a pressure washer or compressed air. There is a TON of dirt under the seals but on the seals as well. I won't be able to remove the dirt underneath without pulling the seals out, which I don't want to do, but I would like to clean them where they meet the door. Which products would you recommend me to give a try?

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Nextzett Gummi Pflege is another well knowned rubber stick that many like on the inside of the rubber seals.

Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege

Compressed air to blow out the dirt when it's dry and then long bristle brushes to really get to reach deep to clean them up. You can have rain channels that can also be shut with dirt. That can lead to the leak into your trunk for an example. Also, it's not unusual on older cars that around windows you can have a rust problem under the rubber seal. This if you have it on the back window and also on the back side windows can leak into the trunk. And look at the spare tire compartment if you have some kind of rubber seals in the bottom that should be letting out the water that can be filled or covered with dirt.
    This thing seems to have same material as dielectric grease, so I plan to give a try to that this year after I manage to clean the seals up well.

This is a sedan so the rain channels are pretty much outside and clean, but being parking under the sky doesn't take long to gather leaves there due to the design. I also checked the trunk seals yesterday but didn't find any holes on them. A couple of years ago, the mechanic drilled a hole in a spare tire area and asked me to remove the grommet once in a while to drain out whatever is collected. His suspicion is, the leaves and twigs that gather in the rain channel overflow and that drains water in the trunk.

So in the end, which products would you recommend me to use to clean the rubber seals? I have Mother's VLR, 303 Aerospace Protectant (White spray bottle) and 303 Rubber conditioner and protector. Not too sure if any of these have cleaning properties. Hence, I linked that Marine cleaner and conditioner in the OP. But if there is any dedicated rubber cleaner that you prefer, I would love to know.

Thanks again for all comments/suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post
    For the last 3 to 4 years, I have been washing/cleaning the rubber seals with diluted car wash soap or diluted APC (Super clean 1:4) in a spray bottle. After drying, I apply 303 Rubber protectant or some silicone products to avoid the freezing part. None of that has helped. So my guess is, there is a problem with my cleaning process. Probably, I am not able to clean it well hence not getting the effect of the products that work with others.
    Interesting...With the seals that I was experiencing issues with, just a quick wipe down with my usual APC, followed by 303 Protectant got rid of my freezing issue.

This is in the Northeast...wondering where you are located. Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong with your process of cleaning, but I don't have experience with the products you used.

However, I was ready to purchase the Nextzett product you mentioned, if the 303 didn't work; have read alot of good things about it here and elsewhere (think it was recommended on the VW Vortex forum that I visit, since the car suffering the issue is a 2016 Tiguan R-line).

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Gummi Pflege on all of my rubber seals since my truck was a year old.

They still look new, and I have never had issues with them freezing.

I use the Gummi Pflege a few times a year, but right before it starts getting really cold, I use it at every wash (once a week) to get a good build-up.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

This is for 2006 Sentra. The rubber seals, by design, are exposed to the roof. My suspicion is, the rubber has aged and as a result, no matter what I do, there is water seepage in the fine gap that is there. (Plus, the car is not garaged.) My feeling is if I do manage to get that rubber cleaned up well and condition it often till Christmas, hopefully, it should alleviate the problem in the peak season. That is the reason why I am looking for a rubber specific cleaner.

I do not have this problem in another vehicle, where the rubber seals are not directly exposed to the roof.

@Eric, I am in NYC suburb too, little north.

I believe Gummi Pflege is dielectric grease + something else. Don't remember MSDS anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

This is for 2006 Sentra.
    The rubber seals, by design,
    are exposed to the roof.

I am looking for a rubber specific cleaner.
    •P21S Total Auto Wash (TAW) is excellent
    at cleaning/prepping EPDM-“rubber”
    seals/weatherstripping.

•After cleaning, it’s:
    -Gummi Pflege.
    -Gummi Pflege is great stuff, IMO.

I believe Gummi Pflege is dielectric
    grease + something else. Don't
    remember MSDS anymore.
    For comparison sake:
    https://1z-usa.com/content/SDS/91480...mmi-Pflege.pdf

https://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/2083.pdf

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

This is for 2006 Sentra. The rubber seals, by design, are exposed to the roof. My suspicion is, the rubber has aged and as a result, no matter what I do, there is water seepage in the fine gap that is there. (Plus, the car is not garaged.) My feeling is if I do manage to get that rubber cleaned up well and condition it often till Christmas, hopefully, it should alleviate the problem in the peak season. That is the reason why I am looking for a rubber specific cleaner.
    Sounds like this is the seal you are talking about: Roof & Components for 2006 Nissan Sentra | Nissan OEM Parts Now

#11 in the photo?
    (Door/Window/trunk/Sunroof) Rubber seals cleaner+protectant AIO-Meguiar's M5716SP?-sentra-jpg

If so, it may be possible that due to hardening, it may not be possible to stop the leaking. Funny though...I would recommend changing them out, but the part site I mention say they are discontinued (probably other sites carry it, if you do a search by part number.

E

P.S. Admins, please excuse my post of the link, and remove, if this violates the forum rules.
    Last edited by ejaf; 09-26-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Caveat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast