autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Something better than aquapel?

Is there anything out there that’s more user friendly? I know a lot of guys love this stuff but I can honestly say after using it on my truck twice now I think this stuff sucks!! The first application failed because I used windex to clean my windows prior to application, so I bought another 6 tubes, used ceriglass to remove the water spots, then applied eraser, then cleaned the windows with invisible glass then applied the aquapel, it takes forever to remove with paper towels, or microfiber towels or shop paper towels, not to mention I go through damn near a whole roll of paper towels trying to get my windows back to clear. I am all for a good product, but the amount of time this stuff takes to apply and remove isn’t worth it. Is there anything out there that’s more user friendly? Aquapel so far isn’t worth the packing it’s in imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Something better than aquapel?

CarPro Forte. It practically dries clear with very minimal residue to buff away and it lasts 2-3x longer than Aquapel.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutowerxDetailing View Post
    CarPro Forte. It practically dries clear with very minimal residue to buff away and it lasts 2-3x longer than Aquapel.
    That wasn't my experience.... we have tested that product on several applications and were disappointed every time. Sticking to Aquapel until something better comes along.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced Aquapel with McKee’s 37 glass coating. Performance I’d say is the same but the coating lasts longer. I find the coating harder to remove from the glass, Aquapel wasn’t bad if you worked fast. I only needed one paper towel per side and one MF towel for a final wipe.
    There’s a lot of cheap Aquapel out there and I wouldn’t be surprised if some are fake and harder to use.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes SWETM, AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I replaced Aquapel with McKee’s 37 glass coating. Performance I’d say is the same but the coating lasts longer. I find the coating harder to remove from the glass, Aquapel wasn’t bad if you worked fast. I only needed one paper towel per side and one MF towel for a final wipe.
    There’s a lot of cheap Aquapel out there and I wouldn’t be surprised if some are fake and harder to use.
    I bought mine through Autogeek specifically for that reason. I just find this stuff to be a PITA to work with. I still had the beading effect with the coating I put on that I used the windex to clean the windows with, but kept getting hard water spots, I coated the windows to avoid water spots. This time I polished the windows, used eraser, then invisible glass to clean the windows, then applied aquapel, if I get water spots this time I’ll lose my ####!!

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post
    I bought mine through Autogeek specifically for that reason. I just find this stuff to be a PITA to work with. I still had the beading effect with the coating I put on that I used the windex to clean the windows with, but kept getting hard water spots, I coated the windows to avoid water spots. This time I polished the windows, used eraser, then invisible glass to clean the windows, then applied aquapel, if I get water spots this time I’ll lose my ####!!

Anything you apply on your glass or paint that has a beading effect will cause water spotting. If you are trying to avoid water spotting, avoid waxing/coating altogether.

Go in a mall parking lot after a heavy rain and look around. The cars that have no LSP applied on them dry in minutes after the rain. Cars with LSP will sit there with water beads on the surface for hours (that's what causes water spotting, and if the water is hard, they don't just wash off and etch the paint which would require the use of a water spot remover or polishing).

Coatings or wax/sealant only help when there is air/water movement by keeping the surface clean. If you're not blow drying your vehicle or rinsing it, then they actually cause more harm than good for your paint surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post

I have used Aquapel on my Lexus windshield and rear glass. Never a problem in the application except in theory it only does a single windshield and must wear protection to your hands. From that experience I switched from Adam's product to Griots Garage Glass sealant on all my cars and install it on friends too! Never a problem and a little goes a long way. Price is way better that either of the two mentioned products. It will last 60-to-90 days but like everything else keep your glass clean! Rarely have to use my wipers after 40mph as it runs off!

Now to your main gripe, hard water spots. As Kaban mentions the sealants, waxes, and coatings will all form beads of water droplets. Most will just slide off the glass but if your glass is dirty then the self clinging droplets will just air dry (will not slide off). Rain water in my area is not hard water so never get the need to polish them off. I have used the Blackfire Glass Water spot remover at one of Mike's roadshow classes and it works fine. So are you talking about hard water or just water spots?

Finally, I have to give one final tip when it comes to keeping your glass product working as expected. Keep you glass clean at all times. It sounds simple but think about all the film that we see on our cars paint after a drive in the rain. Now even if you used the wipers the outer edges will tell you the 'gunk' that was sprayed and dried. I have been guilty of pulling in the car after a rain knowing it will be raining in the morning and still clean the glass. I can see when the water will not run off if small bug splatter or road grime. I have yet to try the glass coating kits because the GG Glass Sealant is so cheap and easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post

Go in a mall parking lot after a heavy rain and look around. The cars that have no LSP applied on them dry in minutes after the rain. Cars with LSP will sit there with water beads on the surface for hours (that's what causes water spotting, and if the water is hard, they don't just wash off and etch the paint which would require the use of a water spot remover or polishing).
    Rain water is soft and I’ll go out on a limb and say it never causes water spotting. Even if the vehicle happens to be dirty when it rains the dirt/temporary spots will easily wash/wipe away... That’s the beauty of having some sort of protection on your paint.

Actual water spots that etch into the paint and require the use of a water spot remover or polish come from the water hose or sprinklers. Cmon man.Something better than aquapel?

P.S. If you run into the rare occasion where rain water somehow causes water spots that require any kind of mechanical removal, then you need to dump whatever poor excuse for lsp that you’re using and replace it with something good.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    If you're not blow drying your vehicle or rinsing it, then they actually cause more harm than good for your paint surface.
    Rinsing rain water off your paint is the worst thing you could possibly do... There’s where the real water spots happen. That’s like a sin. Lol.

13. Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Rinsing rain water off your paint is the worst thing you could possibly do... There’s where the real water spots happen. That’s like a sin. Lol.
    How ironic you posted this......so I spent 4hrs yesterday re polishing and 3 layer coating my car because my daughter decided to help me out and did exactly that.

OMG my brain about exploded but given her intentions I simply gave her a hug and said it was just time for me to re do it. Ugh......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Likes SWETM, Jim w liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast