autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Something better than aquapel?

well the water spotting on the glass is coming from the car wash pressure washer(I hand wash and use the pressure washer to rinse), my home water is the same water pretty much. I guess ill have to start using a leaf blower as soon as im done washing. I don't get the water spots on the paint the paint has PNS on it and I LOVE IT, I can literally spray my truck off drive it down the road and the paint is clean. I wish the window stuff would work as good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Rain water is soft and I’ll go out on a limb and say it never causes water spotting. Even if the vehicle happens to be dirty when it rains the dirt/temporary spots will easily wash/wipe away... That’s the beauty of having some sort of protection on your paint.

Actual water spots that etch into the paint and require the use of a water spot remover or polish come from the water hose or sprinklers. Cmon man.Something better than aquapel?

P.S. If you run into the rare occasion where rain water somehow causes water spots that require any kind of mechanical removal, then you need to dump whatever poor excuse for lsp that you’re using and replace it with something good.
    You're in LA, some of the best weather in the US. Come to another city and you'll see some nasty acidic rain water that will cause water spots. I've seen it and it sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Rinsing rain water off your paint is the worst thing you could possibly do... There’s where the real water spots happen. That’s like a sin. Lol.
    I did not mean blow drying or rinsing rain water off your paint. Who tf does that?

I meant, LSPs help with blow drying and rinsing your car during a regular wash process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    You're in LA, some of the best weather in the US. Come to another city and you'll see some nasty acidic rain water that will cause water spots. I've seen it and it sucks.
    We’ve got the worst smog pollution in the country... That should produce some pretty nasty rainfall when it happens, but it doesn’t.

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We’ve got the worst smog pollution in the country... That should produce some pretty nasty rainfall when it happens, but it doesn’t.
    Could, should. I am telling you, there are places in this world where rain water will Fk up your paint bad. It's not just sprinklers that cause damage. I've lived on 3 different continents and have seen this numerous times.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything you apply on your glass or paint that has a beading effect will cause water spotting. If you are trying to avoid water spotting, avoid waxing/coating altogether.

Coatings or wax/sealant only help when there is air/water movement by keeping the surface clean. If you're not blow drying your vehicle or rinsing it, then they actually cause more harm than good for your paint surface.
    I did not mean blow drying or rinsing rain water off your paint. Who tf does that?

I meant, LSPs help with blow drying and rinsing your car during a regular wash process.
    It sure doesn’t sound like that’s what you meant... And who doesn’t rinse or blow dry [or towel dry] their vehicle during the regular car wash process? Why would someone not rinse after a wash?

Post Thanks / Like

That wasn't my experience.... we have tested that product on several applications and were disappointed every time. Sticking to Aquapel until something better comes along.
    That's strange. I've never had a single complaint from a customer and have experienced 12+ months durability with Forte on my household's daily driven vehicles here in the rainy Pacific Northwest. We put a new windshield in my wife's minivan last December and I applied x4 layers of Forte when it was installed and it's still performing like day one.

What is your application process w/ Forte?
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Rain water is soft and I’ll go out on a limb and say it never causes water spotting. Even if the vehicle happens to be dirty when it rains the dirt/temporary spots will easily wash/wipe away... That’s the beauty of having some sort of protection on your paint.

Actual water spots that etch into the paint and require the use of a water spot remover or polish come from the water hose or sprinklers. Cmon man.Something better than aquapel?

P.S. If you run into the rare occasion where rain water somehow causes water spots that require any kind of mechanical removal, then you need to dump whatever poor excuse for lsp that you’re using and replace it with something good.
    Rinsing rain water off your paint is the worst thing you could possibly do... There’s where the real water spots happen. That’s like a sin. Lol.
    Agreed!

I've actually used rainy days to my advantage when washing my car/truck on a few occasions. Wash and rinse as normal and then let the rain provide the final rinse.

Most, if not all, so-called water spots from rain are actually just dirt spots left behind from whatever contaminants were on the car during the rain and will wipe or wash away very easily. Real water spots are from minerals in the tap water of your area and if left to dry on the vehicle are not so easy to remove.

You can call them all "water spots"... But all water spots are not created the same.

Regardless of what kind of water spots we're talking about, one word of caution I can offer is that any water, rain or tap, can cause damage if left to dry in direct sunlight on a vehicle that beads. The beads of water in direct sunlight will intensify the sunlight and can cause a permanent stain (or fade). The water beads act kind of like a magnifying glass - Did you ever start a piece of paper on fire with the sun and a magnifying glass when you were a kid? That same kind of energy is what your paint experiences when you leave a water beaded vehicle to dry (or more accurately - to bake) in direct sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like

I use McKee's 37 Glass Coating on my vehicles. The price point was the same as Aquapel but with less hassle to put it on and a year of protection is hard to beat!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I am using Griot's Glass Sealant because it is really cheap, really easy to apply, and lasts long enough that I'm not annoyed to apply it again when needed. The instructions are to lather it on thick, wait for the haze, then lather more on, haze, wipe off. I've left it on way too long before while polishing and had good luck buffing it off. I'm not sure it's better than Aquapel but my experience using it is way better than dealing with metered doses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast