autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing and excited to learn

Hello,

I recently bought a black ram 2500 pickup and learned just how hard it is to keep black paint clean! It has some light swirl marks in the paint and I have read using a little poorboys black hole and then collinite 845 might be a good way to hide the marks for now. My question is, am I trying to do something way out of my experience level? Is there a glaze and wax that would be better for me to use?

Thanks,
    dbow

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing and excited to learn

First off,

Welcome to the “Thunder Dome”!

“Black is not a color. It is a full time job.”, as someone had said.

Depending on how crazy you want to go depends on product selection. Knowing what I know now and taking into consideration that paint is thin; I would prefer to do the occasional all-in-one polishing process.

Simply for the fact that I enjoy the act of polishing out cars (often). And eventually overtime, it will be refined and get better and better.

As far as skill level, never say it is out of your experience level. ANYONE can learn. Some may taking longer than others. But it is achievable.

I’ll stop here (for now). Others will be chiming in with their thoughts and comments.

High-End Paint Correction and Opti-Coat Ceramic Coatings * Portsmouth, NH

3. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO, dbow!!

Using the PB black hole, and 845 should not be beyond anyone's skill level. Unless you have the brain of a gnat, don't be worried. Lol

If you just have "light swirl marks" as you say, there is no doubt these products will help to "mask" the swirls. All you can do is give them a try and see if they work to your satisfaction.

But........ Why not remove them?? Grab yourself a DA polisher (check the threads on the new Griot's G9!) and some pads.

One of the biggest misconceptions for newbies is that a polisher is somehow hard to use, or will damage your paint.

With a good polisher, pads, and a great polish/AIO, anyone can get great results as a beginner.

And............ since you are now a member here, you can ask ANY question about the entire process. This forum is COMPLETELY different than other forums.

You will get all of your questions answered by guys (and gals) who share the passion. And ALL of us started from square one.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes Hermes1, Reuben Brumby, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PaulMys makes some good points. Besides the very helpful people on this forum who are so willing to help, YouTube is another source with tons of detailing related videos.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Two great products you mention. Both will hold you very well till you learn some more.

Post Thanks / Like

I will add my imput. You can learn to do this like I have. I am legally blind and the folks on here helped me a great deal and walked me through the process. Go for it and enjoy.

10. Likes PaulMys, SWETM, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the replies! I have had my eye on a polisher so I will look into the one mentioned above. I want to eventually remove the paint defects but I would be pretty mad at myself if I caused more damage in the process. I have it in my mind that it is easy to polish too far, but maybe I’m wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? Maybe someone on this forum that is close to you could get you started and show you the ropes. I would gladly do that if you lived in my area. The array of choices these days for detailing is mind numbing. What you need is a simple process to start out and then you can determine how far you want to take it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbow View Post
    Thank you for all the replies! I have had my eye on a polisher so I will look into the one mentioned above. I want to eventually remove the paint defects but I would be pretty mad at myself if I caused more damage in the process. I have it in my mind that it is easy to polish too far, but maybe I’m wrong?
    Long as you keep polisher moving hard to damage paint. I have some defects on my hood so probably going to wrap but decided to hold my g15 (Griots long throw) in place for 20 seconds with correcting cream and no damage.

This was my 1st Polish. Watch a few videos and with the info from these fine folks here you’ll have no problem polishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

1 of the most important things, especially with a black vehicle is don’t try to do anything in direct sunlight/on a hot day... You’ll wind up easily discouraged not to mention exhausted. Lol.

15. Likes SWETM, Eric7810 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast