autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How Often Should A DA Polisher Be Used?

Hello everyone. I have little experience with a DA polisher. I have used mine twice at this point on two different vehicles that were not mine. My wife and I have a 2011 Ford Ranger daily driver and farm use truck. My goal is protection over a show quality finish. Sure looking nice is fine but I am more interested in protection from rain, mud, etc to help the truck last. Thanks to the wonderful folks from this forum I have what I need to wash, clay, and polish the truck. What I want to know is from a maintainence point of view, how often or safe is it to use the polishing machine on the paint with say an all in one product? Should I clean it well once by machine and then maintain by hand unless scratch or swirl repair is needed? Thank you all very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Often Should A DA Polisher Be Used?

AIO's are really mild, so there should be minimal wear on your clear coat each time you apply it if you use it with a moderate polishing pad. How many times a year are you talking about using an AIO? For me, I've never had one hold up more than 6~8 weeks. This could lead to quite a bit of polishing over a long period of ownership of the truck.

If you are truly only interested in protecting the paint and not appearance, I would recommend applying a highly durable sealant like Collinite 845, FK1000, etc. They are easy to use and will last 6 months or more. Every six months or so, give the truck a really good wash and apply more sealant. Claying and polishing at that time would keep it looking good, but not really needed based on your priorities. Using your DA to apply the sealant will really speed up the process.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post
    What I want to know is from a maintainence point of view, how often or safe is it to use the polishing machine on the paint with say an all in one product? Should I clean it well once by machine and then maintain by hand unless scratch or swirl repair is needed?
    Great question. Watching this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

The vehicles in my house get a full (decon/clay/polish/sealant) once a year. They get maintenance washes every three weeks or so, and get a product like Bead Maker every other wash. Other than that, I might have to break out the DA for some scratch repair. At the six month mark, they will get a re-application of sealant, but the DA is used for that...so much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Would there be any reason for concern to use an all-in-one (AIO) once or twice a year for let's say 10-15 years or more on the same vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
    Would there be any reason for concern to use an all-in-one (AIO) once or twice a year for let's say 10-15 years or more on the same vehicle?
    Most AIO protection is only good for a month or two. You can use the AIO to correct minor blemishes and use a more durable sealant like FK1000, Collinite, Jescar Power Lock and many others.

If you keep the paint protected you can polish with an AIO til the wheels fall off.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Most AIO protection is only good for a month or two. You can use the AIO to correct minor blemishes and use a more durable sealant like FK1000, Collinite, Jescar Power Lock and many others.

If you keep the paint protected you can polish with an AIO til the wheels fall off.
    Agreed.

This is my exact method, actually.

I'll de-con, clay, polish with Speed in the spring, apply Collinite 476, and from then on mainly Uber RW, or the occasional Meg's HW if the truck is really dirty.

If you use good wash practices, I find that using my DA is only necessary once a year.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info everybody.