autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing/Rinsing undercarriage without running water

Hello folks,

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can wash/rinse undercarriage in winter? I live in an apartment complex where we do not have access to the running water or electricity. Our local car wash places claim to have undercarriage wash option but they have never ever washed undercarriage. When pointed out, they play dumb. I have a garden sprayer (Chapin 1 gallon sprayer) but I doubt if it is useful to give a quick rinse without going underneath the car.

Any other options?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing/Rinsing undercarriage without running water

During winter my outside water i shut off. If u have a coin operated car wash with self service bays just use pressure washer under there. Thats all i do till spring and then give a good cleaning when it warms up. Is there a place around that has self serve bays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes mhkbenson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mdjas View Post
    If u have a coin operated car wash with self service bays just use pressure washer under there.
    Thank you. There is only one coin-op car wash about 15-20 mins drive from my place. So by the time, I will be back from this place, the undercarriage will be salty all over again. Hence, looking for something that I can do in the parking lot so the car can at least sit clean overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet might be the pressure sprayer u have and do it that way. May not be high pressure but its better then nothing. Closest one to me is about 15 min away but i still during winter or after few days after a storm ill go and least spray it off. Its not ment to get it clean just get the bulk of it from sitting on there. I still do it bout once a week during winter just because. Have never had a problem this way for last 14 yrs of md winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Think it's Ryobi that has a cordless PW with a tank on it .they also has a nozzle beam on 2 wheels which you rinse the undercarriage with. If I'm not wrong you have a soap dispenser on the PW that you can get some alkaline based degreaser on as a pretreatment and then rinse it off with the nozzle wheel thingy. Maybe not the most powerfull way but could be an option to go with. You also have the WORX Hydro Shoot that's build in another way but to the same end. Look up which battery that gives you the highest pressure from the PW.

Post Thanks / Like

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, the saying goes.

Given your restricted water access, I would do this:

Get under the car (truck?) before winter, and saturate the entire undercarriage (except any exhaust components) with something like Fluid Film.

This protects WAY better than any weak-ish spray from a pump sprayer.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes Mdjas, Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy answer...Worx hydroshotWashing/Rinsing undercarriage without running waterWashing/Rinsing undercarriage without running water

All you need is the Worx hydroshot and a bucket, that's it. I originally bought mine just to rinse down the tires/wheels/wells but infact it has enough power to do a 2BM and now I use it all the time for everything. Spend the extra money and get the 4.0v battery, trust me. Not only does it give a little bit more power but the battery lasts longer too!

Any questions about the Worx hydroshot, ask awayWashing/Rinsing undercarriage without running water

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Easy answer...Worx hydroshotWashing/Rinsing undercarriage without running waterWashing/Rinsing undercarriage without running water

All you need is the Worx hydroshot and a bucket, that's it. I originally bought mine just to rinse down the tires/wheels/wells but infact it has enough power to do a 2BM and now I use it all the time for everything. Spend the extra money and get the 4.0v battery, trust me. Not only does it give a little bit more power but the battery lasts longer too!

Any questions about the Worx hydroshot, ask awayWashing/Rinsing undercarriage without running water

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Well just bought this for my dad!! Thank you!!! He lives in an apartment and is taking his G90 through the car way! Yikes!!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Think it's Ryobi that has a cordless PW with a tank on it .they also has a nozzle beam on 2 wheels which you rinse the undercarriage with.
    I was aware of their undercarriage roller wash but I didn't know of their cordless pressure washer. Thanks a lot. Looks relatively smaller and not too pricey either. Have to keep an eye one it for a deal during Thanksgiving or something.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Get under the car (truck?) before winter, and saturate the entire undercarriage (except any exhaust components) with something like Fluid Film.

This protects WAY better than any weak-ish spray from a pump sprayer.
    Last year when I was doing spray cleaning the underbody, I noticed too much rust. I asked the mechanic about the fluid film and he suggested against it. His argument was, there is no way you will be able to remove all of the rust, esp from the nooks and crannies, where the rust actually begins. If I apply the fluid film, then it may actually spread faster underneath the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    It is definitely one of the best. I had an eye on this one for a while after I noticed Scott from Dallas Paint Correction using it, but I am trying to stay in a single ecosystem. I have some Ryobi and DeWalt tools. Maintaining separate batteries is getting expensive. Now I plan to stay in Ryobi ecosystem as I may consider their cordless buffer and wet/dry vacuum as well.

13. Likes SWETM, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post
    Thank you. There is only one coin-op car wash about 15-20 mins drive from my place. So by the time, I will be back from this place, the undercarriage will be salty all over again. Hence, looking for something that I can do in the parking lot so the car can at least sit clean overnight.
    In the conditions you describe, even if you were able to clean the undercarriage at home, the minute you left your parking lot it would be dirty again. In the depths of winter, our cars are never totally clean for more than a few minutes to a day or two. The whole point is to simply knock down the bulk of the grime and salt to the best of your ability. Your best bet would beto go to the coin-op on a day when the roads are dry and clean it out.

What are the automated car wash places like in your area? Around my area most of the automated car washes, both with brushes and touchless. You can actually see the equipment sitting at opening of the car wash bay, so there is no question as to whether it is there or not. By selecting the middle to top tear wash options you get the undercarriage/wheel well option. I use the touchless washes and will drive through the opening REALLY slowly to blast off all the salt.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast