autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Yellow spots on brand new 2019 Sti.

I took delivery of my 2019 CWP Sti 3 weeks ago and was traveling after. Just had a chance to wash yesterday and noticed that there were 2-3 Yellow marks about an inch long on the paint.
    I tried to use a light polish to remove, but they would not budge. Anyone have any idea of what these are and what can be done to remove? It is hard to see in the photo without zooming in.

Yellow spots on brand new 2019 Sti.-yellow-mark-paint-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow spots on brand new 2019 Sti.

Did you use a machine with the polish, or just by hand? I would think machine polishing would remove that. I can’t imagine it’s not on the surface. It looks like airborne contaminants that got wet and dried on there.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Just by hand, but I will give a my 3" orbital a try. Was hoping to avoid that, but guess its the only way.

Post Thanks / Like

A while ago I had a brand new white 97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I got some yellow/brownish stains in the paint from tire dressing sling that would not clean off. Also got some yellow insect stains on some of the horizontal panels. No amount of polishing would remove them. It was like the stains permeated the clear coat. I was able to remove one stain by wet sanding a very small area using 1500G on the end of a Q-Tip but I was removing too much clearcoat for my liking. I did not proceed with any other stained areas.

Fast forward a year or so... The stains corrected themselves and were gone. I don't know how that happened, maybe multiple washes or simply being bleached out by the sun and elements, but nevertheless they were gone.

I'm not sure if it was really a year that it took for the stains to disappear, (that was a long time ago and my memory is not that clear), but it was some fairly significant amount of time. Weeks/Months, not days.

If I were you and I couldn't polish out the stains with a moderate amount of hand polishing, I'd consider leaving them alone and seeing how they diminish over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Common on white paint. Use a light polish to dim as much as possible then let time and the sun do the rest. After a few weeks in the sun they usually disappear.
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing & Repair
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

X owner of 2 white vehicles. NEVER AGAIN

Post Thanks / Like

Could be that it's a run off from a spot on the highest spot on this stain? New vehicals can have rail brake dust in the clearcoat. My thought is if the rust from this has run down from the rail brake dust. My first doing would be to use a color changing iron remover and if you have not done that yet you proberly will see it light up in purple/red runs but also a lighter color changing from industrial fallout on the paint. Take a closer look where you have these stains on the paint and see if they also gets any color changing or it's runs down over them.

Carpro IronX and McKees 37 Extreme Iron Remover is 2 great choice for this.

If this don't desolve the stains or have any color changing from them. Cause sometimes you will be needed to be gently aggitate it with the iron remover if the spray on and let it dwell and rinse off don't get all of the iron particals off the paint. I do a test spot where I have had the most color changing and apply it a second time and if no color changing it's great. But if you get a color changing again it's not removed from the first time. Then I spray on a smaller area like the roof and the hood or one side of the car. When you have let it dwell so you see the darker purple color from the iron particals. I take a damp mf towel and start to gently wipe it back and forth and up and down and rinse it off where I started to both spray it on and wipe it in. Then I do the test spot again where I saw the most bleeding effect from. Yes it's going over the board but here you have a simple way that actually shows you if you have gotten the iron particals off the paint. Here you will notice when you have used different brands of iron removers which are effective or not. Some iron remover will still show you the color changing and has very hard to fully remove them. That's why I think that going with a knowned product in the top tier of the range of products that Carpro IronX is. To be a good thing to use. And many says it's working well just by looking at the color changing but that's not always the case as all of them does it.

If the iron remover don't sort it out. I would test with a high alkaline based degreaser like an APC. If this don't work either I move on to a solvent based degreaser like a tar remover. If nothing of this won't get the stains off I will clay it. And if this don't work either I polishing it off. I would not use an aggressive combo as then IMO it could be something that's under the paint or deep in it. And that's since it's a new car is a warranty issue. As long as you are not letting the chemicals you use dry on the paint it's not a problem to use them and always do this in the shade or on a cloudy day on cool paint.

Hope you get it sorted out!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rst08 View Post
    X owner of 2 white vehicles. NEVER AGAIN
    It is a common problem with white. I have a lot of white vehicles and they all have had yellow spots. At first I used to obsess with getting them out , over time i just learned dime a bit with a light polish, let time and the sun do the rest.
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing & Repair
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All