autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Rust Spots, Any way of fixing this?

Hello folks,

I am new to (super basic) detailing. I am prepping my 5 year old Forester to detail for the first time. I have been checking the vehicle's paint by each square foot and noticing loads of issues.

On the back I see a lot of rust spots, looks like a super small dust particle (pollen size) but if I spray Iron X, the point turns purple. I suppose, that means the salt has eaten through the clear coat and paint exposing the metal underneath. This is the car that was ceramic coated when new. Afterwards, I have been regularly washing the car at a local car wash place as I am an apartment dweller and we are not allowed to wash the cars in the premises (plus no running water or electricity in the parking lot).

Here is the picture. You may have download the picture and zoom it in to be able to see better. The rust size is so small that it is difficult to get a clear picture using a phone. Hope this at least gives you folks some idea of what I am talking about. I have made red circles at the spots.

Any input in fixing this or strategy to prevent this getting bigger is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust Spots, Any way of fixing this?

You just need to get a clay bar and go over it. It's embedded contamination in the clear coat. The Iron-X is a great start, but clay bar will pull them out. I have had a white car before and saw all these little rust spots as well.

3. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like "Rail-Dust" on the back of your Forester. This is very common on vehicles that are daily driven. An Iron Remover will help, but you will need to use a Clay Bar and Polish the paint surface to remove the these contaminants.

Are you going to ceramic coat this vehicle again or just use a carnauba wax or polymer paint sealant?

BLACKFIRE Iron Remover
    BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt Combo
    BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish

5. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was my first thought but seems like the biggest spot 'feels' that the salt has eaten through the paint. I have not used Iron remover yet as still trying to thoroughly wash/clean the surface by each square foot before getting into the detailing mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    Are you going to ceramic coat this vehicle again or just use a carnauba wax or polymer paint sealant?
    I don't plan to ceramic coat it. I don't think I will be able to do it with the lack of proper equipment and other limitations. The first one was professionally done. I plan to use Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss sealant. I was considering Collinite 845 to top Klasse sealant but other pros mentioned that it is not necessary.
    I tried it (Klasse twins) on an older car and came out better than I expected I could do.