autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Any of these marks fixable without a DA polisher?

Hello folks,

I am new to (super basic) detailing and this question may not fall under Auto Detailing 101 as may involve extensive work (just my guess).

I have a few scuff marks from 'extremely careful' fellow motorists. All received in parking lots. I am curious to know how many of these are super bad and beyond fixable. If there is any scuff mark that I can do it myself without DA polisher. I am willing to invest some elbow grease.

Wherever there are colors, I tried to clean them with little soap, rubbing alcohol but unable to remove them. Any option to remove those colors?

Any pointers to fix these are welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any of these marks fixable without a DA polisher?

That looks like paint transfer and you should be able to remove those pretty easily. Clean the area with a quick detailer or waterless wash first. Try a little compound on a terry cloth towel by hand and that should help remove most of the paint transfer. Follow up with a polish or one step product with polishing pads and a dual action polisher.

Good luck!

3. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Bobby for the comment.

I wiped the marks with Adam's detailer and Meguair's quick detailer. The first one is the worst, I would not remove all of the blue in that mark. Rest I could clean up pretty well but the marks are clearly visible. Is there any other way to remove the blue color from the first mark? May be claying?

I will appreciate if you could recommend compound and the polish. There are so many in the market. I have no idea which one I should go for.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars ultimate compound followed by ultimate polish should do the trick. Wax after to keep the area protected.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post
    Thank you Bobby for the comment.

I wiped the marks with Adam's detailer and Meguair's quick detailer. The first one is the worst, I would not remove all of the blue in that mark. Rest I could clean up pretty well but the marks are clearly visible. Is there any other way to remove the blue color from the first mark? May be claying?

I will appreciate if you could recommend compound and the polish. There are so many in the market. I have no idea which one I should go for.

Thanks again.

The Quick Detailer or Waterless Wash would just be for quickly cleaning the surface of any dirt. You do not want to compound on a dirty surface. Clay does help with removing paint transfer, but compound would work the best. I like to use the Blackfire Compound but any compound should work for you. Just be sure to follow up with a Polish or One-Step product.

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Compound, BLACKFIRE Compound
    BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish
    BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your photos, that should be fairly easy. But every one here has given you what to do. KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I start by attacking marks like this with Scratch X by hand:
    Meguiar's Scratch X

I would expect you'll get some good results just with that - but the ideal way is machine polishing as noted...

FYI - I often find Scratch X on shelves at Walmart or most chain auto parts stores - so if you happen to be out & about - it's an easy find to start off the polishing journey....

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's plain ole Cleaner Wax will do the trick. If you don't have any products on hand, go simple first. If these are just scuffs, the cleaner wax will take care of it easily. No DA polisher needed, just a sponge or microfiber applicator and a microfiber towel to buff out. In fact good ole cotton terry towels will be just as good. I only started using MF towels last year, terry towels and old t-shirts did great for me for the last 15 years.

As long as you're not fanatical about detailing, you can't go wrong with Meg's Cleaner Wax and a couple of soft terry towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, folks.

I have ScratchX on hand. I will give that a try before buying products mentioned by others. I plan to use Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant later.

So I will wash it thoroughly -> Iron Remover -> Clay the paint -> Scratch X (or other compound and polishes) -> Klasse AIO -> Klasse Sealant. Hope the process looks OK.

Thanks again for all the pointers. I will post results if I manage to change those marks in any way.