autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

P&S brake buster: will remove wax/coat/dressing on wheels?

Just started using P&S brake buster. so far so good. the foaming is a bit disappointing in a spray bottle but extremely impressive in a foamer. Cleaning ability is awesome too! My question is, will this product remove/diminish any existing wheel wax/sealant/ coating and tire dressing/coating?

I read some forum members and youtubers recommending brake buster as a maintenance solution so they don't have to reapply wax/tire dressing every time. I found that a bit hard to believe. Even the formula is nonacid, i imagine it's as harsh as an APC? My APC certainly has no difficulty in removing wax and dressing. Even APC does not break the coating, it probably would shorten the life span of coating?

So anyone has experience with brake buster on coated/waxed wheels, and dressed tires? would it be a good idea to use BB as a maintenance wash or really just go with soap and water?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: P&S brake buster: will remove wax/coat/dressing on wheels?

I use Brake Buster on my ceramic coated wheels but I am running it diluted either 3:1 or 5:1 the past few months. If you keep your wheels cleaned at least once a month and NOT a German brand the BB will do fine. If the wheels are badly crusted you may have to go full strength or pull out the acidic product. And yes it could remove the wax but should not wipe of the coating if a major brand. Several of the torture testing done by the YouTubers have found that the wheel cleaners will either kill a cheaper coating or spray sealant. It just depends on the product you are using.

Soap and water is fine if you regularly clean your wheels in the drums each wash cycle. Often simple soap will do nicely and the outer face is easy with simple brush or MF mitts. I use a power washer so the jet stream and good soap help to loosen on my vehicles.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like

There's a video out on Youtube (by GAV details) where they use Brake Buster on wheels coated with GTechniq Wheel Armor and it would appear that it didn't affect it. I coat my wheels twice a year with McKees Wheel Coating and rarely need anything stronger than soap and water to clean them. If I think I need to use something else, I have Optimum Power Clean (at 5:1) in an IK foamer and it does the job.

4. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    There's a video out on Youtube (by GAV details) where they use Brake Buster on wheels coated with GTechniq Wheel Armor and it would appear that it didn't affect it. I coat my wheels twice a year with McKees Wheel Coating and rarely need anything stronger than soap and water to clean them. If I think I need to use something else, I have Optimum Power Clean (at 5:1) in an IK foamer and it does the job.
    While I love Optimum Power Clean, have had it since joining here over 7 years ago, it's about twice the price of Alien Kleen, plus it doesn't have those rust inhibitors either, so I use Alien Kleen for other uses and there are MANY uses for it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    I use Brake Buster on my ceramic coated wheels but I am running it diluted either 3:1 or 5:1 the past few months. If you keep your wheels cleaned at least once a month and NOT a German brand the BB will do fine. If the wheels are badly crusted you may have to go full strength or pull out the acidic product. And yes it could remove the wax but should not wipe of the coating if a major brand. Several of the torture testing done by the YouTubers have found that the wheel cleaners will either kill a cheaper coating or spray sealant. It just depends on the product you are using.

Soap and water is fine if you regularly clean your wheels in the drums each wash cycle. Often simple soap will do nicely and the outer face is easy with simple brush or MF mitts. I use a power washer so the jet stream and good soap help to loosen on my vehicles.

Kirby
    You sound like a guy that takes care of his ride. So why do you need BB to clean your ceramic coated wheels? I use soap and water to clean my coated wheels and some times just use a waterless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by szjalo View Post
    would it be a good idea to use BB as
    a maintenance wash or really just go
    with soap and water?
    •IMO:
    -BB, used as a maintenance wash on
    Coated wheels, is on the over-kill side
    of the wheel cleaning spectrum.

-I’d just use a Car-wash Shampoo/Water
    solution—until it will no longer pass muster.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Overkill, that's alot of us thoughP&S brake buster: will remove wax/coat/dressing on wheels?P&S brake buster: will remove wax/coat/dressing on wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

10. Likes Klasse Act, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

Bob
    His voice....EEEEEEKP&S brake buster: will remove wax/coat/dressing on wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    His voice....EEEEEEKP&S brake buster: will remove wax/coat/dressing on wheels?
    Yep...a little overkill.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

13. Likes Klasse Act, PaulMys liked this post