autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna Powerlock Prep

I own the Porter Cable and it has done a good job on the 3 cars I have used it on.
    The first few threads on this site made it sound real good.
    After I bought it seemed like every thread touted the GG6. Yep, that's my life.
    However with the new Griot's G9 coming out I would go that route.

Don't be too hasty and do your homework before you buy.
    Good luck, you will enjoy working on your cars either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    1. keep it in the family and get the menzerna fg400. it's a good compound and if you can't get the scratch out with the 400 and a yellow or orange pad, you're not going to get it out, or you'll need some pro help.
    Thanks – that’s exactly where I want to be with the sons car – do as much as we can reasonably do without going to a pro. It’s more of a “let’s clean it up the best we can”, while using it as an opportunity to gain experience/confidence in using the tool.

Just be aware that a compound will need a polish over it. So if you're spot treating with the 400, do a final full boddy with the sf polish. the polish and white pad combo does real well for small scratches and swirls too, but it really brings the paint to life. Be sure you get some pad cleaner and pad brush too to extend the pad's life.
    So follow the FG400 (yellow or orange pad) with the SF3500 (white pad), Then apply the sealant (black pad)? Any recommendation for the pad cleaner?

3. i'd read mike's articles. it's hard to polish the wrong way and do any damage with a da, but you should learn a good technique with pressure and passes and he has a bunch on these you should be able to find with the search. I recommend some painters tape too as I'm still not great at keeping away from trim even after years of practice, and once that stuff gets in, it's a b!tch to get out.
    Haha – yea, good suggestion on the painters tape.
    I did see this link on the AG site: Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, which has some video’s by Mike. I’ll check them out tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXBKS View Post
    I own the Porter Cable and it has done a good job on the 3 cars I have used it on.
    The first few threads on this site made it sound real good.
    After I bought it seemed like every thread touted the GG6. Yep, that's my life.
    However with the new Griot's G9 coming out I would go that route.

Don't be too hasty and do your homework before you buy.
    Good luck, you will enjoy working on your cars either way.
    Yup - been there numerous times. Guess that's the way it goes. Research a product - buy it - then the next best thing comes around. Oh well.

Yea, I have all the products for washing and waxing (or sealing in this case) but have never done any polishing (at least by machine) so I trying to do a bit of homework before I make a purchase.

Lot's a good info on this site - so I read as many threads as I could. Now I'm at the point of narrowing down what I'm gonna do. Wasn't going to do any polishing but now that my son has a vehicle and asked me if I could help him with removing some scratches I figured this would be a good opportunity to give it a try. Oh, and in addition to the detailing - he wants to put in a new stereo and speakers... I remember those days and getting your first car.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5js View Post
    Thanks – that’s exactly where I want to be with the sons car – do as much as we can reasonably do without going to a pro. It’s more of a “let’s clean it up the best we can”, while using it as an opportunity to gain experience/confidence in using the tool.

So follow the FG400 (yellow or orange pad) with the SF3500 (white pad), Then apply the sealant (black pad)? Any recommendation for the pad cleaner?

Haha – yea, good suggestion on the painters tape.
    I did see this link on the AG site: Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, which has some video’s by Mike. I’ll check them out tonight.
    even if your sons car doesn't return to showroom shine, it'll be night and day and instantly rewarding. it's the best way to show love to a new purchase. Your steps are correct. orange compound/correct, white/polish/shine and then black/protect. If you get a little more serious, add some Wolfgang exterior trim selant (or similar), tire gel, some glass cleaner and rain-x or equivalent and you'll be complete. the trim stuff really helps if either car has any black trim. Otherwise you get this shiny paint with dull trim.

any of the pad/conditioner combos are fine. try to find one on sale. there might even be a combo that includes the brush.

as far as the griots orbital. i dont have experience with it. i'm sure it's great. In my opinion, you dont go wrong with either setup. they're not going to be night and day different.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

There is night and day difference in the Porter Cable and the new Griot's 9. Way more power, balance, speed, and a lifetime warranty. Prices are close, so why buy the Porter Cable?

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
    There is night and day difference in the Porter Cable and the new Griot's 9. Way more power, balance, speed, and a lifetime warranty. Prices are close, so why buy the Porter Cable?
    If anyone (the OP, or any lurkers) is in the market for their first polisher at this time, boy are you in luck.

At $150, you can get a great machine in the G9, and it will be just about everything you need as a hobbyist.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes rangerbay, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    If anyone (the OP, or any lurkers) is in the market for their first polisher at this time, boy are you in luck.

At $150, you can get a great machine in the G9, and it will be just about everything you need as a hobbyist.
    Do you think a long throw might even be better?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    For beginner use? No.

And read Mike's review about the G9's power.

The G9 is also about $200 cheaper.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I have all kinds of machines. Short throws, long throws,(15 and 21) small DA's (3") flex rotary's, cheap rotary's, and the GG6 is still my go to.

I have a G9 on the way,I and will keep my 6 with a 5" plate, and keep the 6" on the 9.

Long throws are really not a good choice for learning. Long throws are technique machines, short throws are simple, easy to use and learn with, and can do one helluva job.

I think this new G9 will be a game changer. Get it, I don't think you will be the least bit disappointed.

Bill

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
    I have all kinds of machines. Short throws, long throws,(15 and 21) small DA's (3") flex rotary's, cheap rotary's, and the GG6 is still my go to.

I have a G9 on the way,I and will keep my 6 with a 5" plate, and keep the 6" on the 9.

Long throws are really not a good choice for learning. Long throws are technique machines, short throws are simple, easy to use and learn with, and can do one helluva job.

I think this new G9 will be a game changer. Get it, I don't think you will be the least bit disappointed.

Bill
    I am not a beginner as I have doing the detail thing since '94 or '96 with the PC7335 and for more difficult situations I use my Makita. I figured the G9 would be a step up since my PC is more than 20 yrs. old and maybe technology has advanced and made better machines. I am not a pro and am retired so I don't want to go the big $ route for a Flex or Rupes and from what some people have said the long throw is better if you have some experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast