autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing On the Road

I am sure that most of us have the same OCD issues with our vehicles whether it is at home or on the road. I travel frequently for my job and I hate to have my customers see a dirty car. I always carry a portable detailing setup in my Autogeek detailing bag. This includes Wolfgang Uber, glass cleaner, APC, detail spray, tire dressing, vinyl protectant, interior detailer, assorted towels, brushes and applicators. I also carry two buckets with a wash mitt and a Griots PFM so that I can do a proper rinseless wash.
    Most of the hotels that I stay at have an easily accessible outside water source where I can fill my buckets. Some hotels are not so easy. Most Hampton Inns have water spigots where you need a sillcock key to access it. This morning was one of those instances where I could not access water and I had to settle for a waterless wash. There have been times where I came across a nice kid working at the hotel who filled my buckets from the janitors closet. There have been other times where I filled my buckets from the bathtub and carried them down the hall and through the lobby.
    This morning I settled that issue by purchasing a 4 way sillcock key from Amazon. I got two keys for $8.00. What a deal.
    Am I the only one this crazy?

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing On the Road

Getting ready to head out myself and I do the same. LOL at the people looking at me sometimes. I do rinseless washes though. Super easy to do and with only 1-2 gals needed, I simply take 2 gals of distilled water with me in my "travel kit" in my trunk.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes UncleDavy, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Getting ready to head out myself and I do the same. LOL at the people looking at me sometimes. I do rinseless washes though. Super easy to do and with only 1-2 gals needed, I simply take 2 gals of distilled water with me in my "travel kit" in my trunk.
    I know those looks. I get those too. I also have people come up to me and ask me about the process and how good the car looks. I was also thinking of getting some buckets with a gamma seal and bring my own water.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

7. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

... I like your thinking UncleDavy.

Not that I get away too often but yeah, when I do I’ll sure be on the lookout for a hose. Most Motels are pretty good but always take waterless equipment with me too. If I can’t find water & I’m too dirty, I’ll search for a self serve to at least get the most of it off.

Hahaha, yeah - “that look”!!! At the shop I’m washing in the public eye, & even though it’s what we do, I still get “that look” ... especially when it’s raining.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

9. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what is cooler, UD.....

You washing the truck at the hotel, or you buying the sillcock key to bypass their "security".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes Aaryn NZ, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Uncle Davy, maybe a Worx hydroshot is in your future and if you were to get one, opt for the 4.0v battery, its sooooo worth it!

I'll be going down to the Dragon in a couple weeks and between the almost 600 mile drive to get there, not to mention hustlin' the roads, the wheels get trashed...I mean REALLY trashed! Even though I have a good base laid down of Sonax rim shield and many top offs of Meg's HCW watered down, I want to stay ontop of the wheels, the Worx hydroshot makes it a breeze! I have AMMO NYC Frothe WW to clean the paint because it's the only foaming product of it's kind and really helps cleaning the battered carDetailing On the Road

Good luck to you and don't worry, let the dirty world stay dirty, we're cleanDetailing On the Road

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Uncle Davy, maybe a Worx hydroshot is in your future and if you were to get one, opt for the 4.0v battery, its sooooo worth it!

I'll be going down to the Dragon in a couple weeks and between the almost 600 mile drive to get there, not to mention hustlin' the roads, the wheels get trashed...I mean REALLY trashed! Even though I have a good base laid down of Sonax rim shield and many top offs of Meg's HCW watered down, I want to stay ontop of the wheels, the Worx hydroshot makes it a breeze! I have AMMO NYC Frothe WW to clean the paint because it's the only foaming product of it's kind and really helps cleaning the battered carDetailing On the Road

Good luck to you and don't worry, let the dirty world stay dirty, we're cleanDetailing On the Road

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I actually do have the Worx Hydroshot and I often bring it with me. There was a time when the car was full of bird droppings and the Hydroshot blasted it off. That was the time when the nice kid at the hotel filled my buckets.

15. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On a road trip I'll spray the front of the truck with Bug Barricade but I'm definitely not showing up with that crud on there, so yeah I bring a "survival kit" and do what I can. One place I go, the DIY car wash opens early but it unattended, so I use their water and my soap and mitts.

17. Likes UncleDavy liked this post