autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Struggling with Product Selection After Ceramic Coating

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m not seeing any description about abrasives, I thought this was a pure glaze, not even a pre-wax cleaner. I could be wrong though as I’ve never used it.
    I think he may have been referring to Blacklight Radiant Finish car Wash?

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP...for what it's worth, I've read that CarPro Reset is a good shampoo to use on coated cars. I don't have any coated vehicles in the family, but I tried Reset as it's advertised to be a 'pure' soap. Although I can not explain it, our cars/trucks seem to look 'cleaner' when I use it....maybe subconsciously I want them to because Reset is a little pricey?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
    The Esoteric guys reached out to me and told me drop Bathe+ and switch to Bathe and to use Cosmic Spritz by Polish Angel. It's expensive, but supposedly the shiniest glossiest stuff you can put on a ceramic coating.
    I would recommend Meguiar's Hyper Wash, Adams Car Shampoo, Reset over Gyeon Bathe. Gyeon Bathe was not my favorite wash. I ended up relegating it to wheels. As it aged, it gelled up and became a different color. You may want to consider McKee's SiO2 Auto Wash. It is nothing like Bath+ in that it leaves no protection behind but rather gloss.

I have never used anything from PA but CarPro Ech20 leaves some good gloss and slickness. It won't leave protection that is on par with PA. As some mentioned you have some products in the IGL line if you wish to stay within their family line of products.

Post Thanks / Like

As others said, as long as there are no abrasives, a wax or sealant will not damage the coating.

As for soaps, I am very surprised that IGL says only to use PH Neutral ones. One of the main benefits of ceramic coatings is chemical resistance, it should not matter that the soap you use if acidic or alkalyne. Normally when a car is coated, a more sturdy soap is used to make sure you remove as much gunk as possible from the car when you wash. Products like Geyon Bathe and CarPro Reset are much stronger soaps than the average PH neutral car soap. Those are the products I would suggest you use. You might want to check with IGL first but if they recommand against these type of soaps, it's a bad thing for their coatings.

As for drying aid, just stay within the ceramic family. CarPro reload is, IMHO, the best maintenance scellant you can use. It doesn't last very long on the car, less than 2 months, but it gives the highest gloss I have seen from any wax or sealant. One of the more durable ones is supposed to be Gtechniq C2V3, but I have not seen any real world test to confirm it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    To the OP...for what it's worth, I've read that CarPro Reset is a good shampoo to use on coated cars. I don't have any coated vehicles in the family, but I tried Reset as it's advertised to be a 'pure' soap. Although I can not explain it, our cars/trucks seem to look 'cleaner' when I use it....maybe subconsciously I want them to because Reset is a little pricey?
    Reset is actually not that pricy when you consider it's dillution ration. At 400:1, it's the same dillution as Hyperwash but it's a stronger soap. Compare that to most car soaps being 128:1 or 256:1 and you can see that it's not that expensive overall.

In my business, I use 3 products to clean cars:
    Optimum no-rinse
    Simoniz boat and vehicle wash (alkaline cleaner that I use to foam the cars)
    CarPro Reset

It takes me about 2 months to go through a 32 ounce bottle of reset, I don't use it as a wash shampoo, rather I foam coated cars with it using 2 ounces in a 32 ounce bottle for the foam lance. So that's 16 cars with 1 bottle. Not bad if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I think he may have been referring to Blacklight Radiant Finish car Wash?
    My bad, I read another post about abrasives and lost track.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I've tried CG's soaps on my and while not coated at the time I used them I noticed that it left the water flat on the panels, i.e. hood, roof and trunklid, I even started a thread about it and since then haven't used their soaps anymore on my own ride.
    I'm glad it's not just me then. Blacklight soap always left my panels flat too....like it stripped the wax. For the longest I thought I was doing something wrong lol.

8. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would recommend Meguiar's Hyper Wash, Adams Car Shampoo, Reset over Gyeon Bathe. Gyeon Bathe was not my favorite wash. I ended up relegating it to wheels. As it aged, it gelled up and became a different color. You may want to consider McKee's SiO2 Auto Wash. It is nothing like Bath+ in that it leaves no protection behind but rather gloss.

I have never used anything from PA but CarPro Ech20 leaves some good gloss and slickness. It won't leave protection that is on par with PA. As some mentioned you have some products in the IGL line if you wish to stay within their family line of products.
    I'll add a second vote for Ech2O as a post-wash wipe down, QD, etc to be used on a coated car. I use it all the time as well and really like it.

In addition to the list of car soaps provided here, I'd add Optimum Car Wash. It works great and I've never found it to change the properties of the coatings.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys think Ech2o noticeably changes the look of your coating for a day or more? I was using it on my wife’s car but she thought I was applying new stuff each time, so I stopped using my Ech2o on paint for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really notice it changing the look at all and only use it post-wash to take care of water spots. I'm not looking for any sort of gloss boost. The coating is plently glossy all on its own. I don't really pay any attention to how long the slickness stays since my cars are all dark colored and finger swipes to test slickness just leave smudges which then must be removed. I'm not a "slickness" junkie.

I really don't expect more from it than I would any other comperable quick detailer or waterless wash. Multi-week gloss enhancement isn't what they are designed to do; that is the domain of spray waxes and similar products. When I've used Cure on top of CanCoat I do notice a change that does last a week or two, but it is a totally different type of product from Ech2O.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12