autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Damaged anodized bronzed wheels

Have a question guys. I coated my clients anodized bronzed volks wheels with gtechniq c5 ceramic coating a month ago. The client then takes it to a handwash shop and later found out that his wheels were stained and his valve stem colors were stained as well. I know for a fact that you should never use harsh chemicals on anodized wheels but wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains on the wheels from harsh chemicals ( was the question my client asked). I just got some pictures today from the client so please chime on what you think happened at that shop. The owner will bring his car today for me to look at. Here is a picture of the aftermath.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Damaged anodized bronzed wheels-img_3712-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: Damaged anodized bronzed wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Sam View Post

Have a question guys. I coated my clients anodized bronzed volks wheels with gtechniq c5 ceramic coating a month ago.

The client then takes it to a handwash shop and later found out that his wheels were stained and his valve stem colors were stained as well.

I know for a fact that you should never use harsh chemicals on anodized wheels but wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains on the wheels from harsh chemicals ( was the question my client asked).

I just got some pictures today from the client so please chime on what you think happened at that shop. The owner will bring his car today for me to look at. Here is a picture of the aftermath.

In most cases I would say Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor would protect most wheels from chemical attack. That said, no one should be using harsh chemicals on wheels simply because they are not "coated".

The exception to the rule is anodizing. I've worked on a LOT of things in my life that are anodized. Including one of my artificial legs. It was anodized gold.

From this thread,

Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials - Know and trust who's teaching your class

See the lower knee unit? That's aluminum that is anodized gold.

Here's the deal, anodizing is a treatment performed to aluminum where the anodizing is IN the aluminum, not ON the aluminum. Aluminum is POROUS, the anodizing treatment does NOT seal the surface of the aluminum, it remains porous.

Thus if someone uses ANYTHING that is not safe for polished aluminum on anodized aluminum, it's going to stain it. And worse - to undo the damage will cost more than the wheel is worth. The ONLY way to fix stained anodized aluminum is to de-anodize it, that's an acid bath, and then re-anodize it. During the acid bath, some of the aluminum is eaten away.

I will say that what I wrote above is my first hand experience, (yes I have had parts de-anodized and re-anodized), BUT recently I removed staining from anodized aluminum trim on a Volkswagen using

BLACKFIRE One Step
    RUPES Nano in rotary mode with a 1" microfiber pad
    2 hours of solid buffing

Mike Phillips

Also - Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor is good stuff. I use it myself.

I have never seen it stain anything.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The owner will bring his car today
    for me to look at.
    Sure, take a look.

But I don’t see how you could be held
    liable/responsible for the wheels being
    damaged—brought about by the hand
    wash shop’s inappropriate selection of
    harsh cleaning chemicals.
    (The client’s description, not mine.)
    wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains
    on the wheels from harsh chemicals (was the
    question my client asked).

Even a substantial Wheel Coating, such as
    Gtechniq C5, is not a bulletproof forcefield.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes oneheadlite, DetailKitty, PaulMys, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

but wouldn't the ceramic coating prevent stains on the wheels from harsh chemicals ( was the question my client asked).
    Nope. Coatings are great but they are far from fool-proof. The responsibility here with this situation lies with whoever sprayed the harsh cleaner on them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)