autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How does my product list and order look for detailing my car?

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post

Step # 3 Polish Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Step #4 Swirl Remover (optional) can be skipped if no light swirls and scratches are found.

Step #5 Finishing Polish Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

I've been saying I'm going to write an article that explains the difference between a paint cleaner and a polish for years now and after this post I'm going to do it.

In a nutshell,

A paint cleaner is an either/or product.

You either use a paint cleaner and move on to your sealing process OR you skip the paint cleaner and use a polish or a compound and polishes and then move onto your sealing process.

You don't use both. This would not only be redundant, it would be a waste of your time, energy and money.

And for what it's worth, I never use paint cleaners except to share what they are and how to use them.

Why?

Because for ALL the work and time it takes to apply a paint cleaner, which hardly does anything, (perfect for some paint and some people, just not me), instead I could use a fine cut polish.

A QUALITY fine cut polish, that is a brand that uses GREAT abrasive technology, will do EVERYTHING a paint cleaner will do and MORE.

A paint cleaner JUST lightly cleans the surface of paint.

A fine cut polish will lightly clean the surface of paint AND remove minor defects.

You get so much more bang for the buck from your time, energy, money and results to use a fine cut polish over a paint cleaner.

But as a co-worker here at Autogeek once said to me when I first came to Autogeek in 2009,

Never spend another man's money

So I'm not saying a paint cleaner is a bad product, it's the perfect product for some people and some paint.

But for me? I know how to use a machine so for the same amount of time, money and effort I would always choose a fine cut polish over a paint cleaner.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I've been saying I'm going to write an article that explains the difference between a paint cleaner and a polish for years now and after this post I'm going to do it.

And in less than 20 minutes, I've generated brand new content.

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Help me understand this since I'm new to this realm

Step # 3 Polish Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer can be totally eliminated?

Based on a condition of a paint, apply Step #4 Swirl Remover Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and/or Step #5 Finishing Polish Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

Could I assume that Step #4 Swirl Remover Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover in unnecessary on a new car?

Where does Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep fall into?

Mike Phillips

Help me understand this since I'm new to this realm
    Totally happy to help out, have a bit of history on the Interwebs doing this...

Step # 3 Polish Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer can be totally eliminated?
    If you're going to use a "polish" then yes. No need to use a paint cleaner at all. Redundant step that does LESS than a polish. Please read the article I just wrote, totally explains it.

Based on a condition of a paint, apply Step #4 Swirl Remover Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and/or Step #5 Finishing Polish Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

Could I assume that Step #4 Swirl Remover Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover in unnecessary on a new car?
    Just because a car is new does not mean the paint is perfect. In fact, history shows us that new cars need a lot of work to bring them up to new or Autogeek Pro standards.

If you see swirls and scratches, even light swirls and scratches the YES you need to polish the paint to remove these types of defects. In most cases, you can get GREAT results using only the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. This is a MEDIUM CUT POLISH. It will finish out as good as most fine cut polishes, yes it's that good.

The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is NOT a glaze, it's a FINE CUT POLISH. Someone gave it the wrong name and I guess the product is stuck like that forever.

A fine cut polish won't always remove all fine swirls and scratches, thus even though I cannot see your car's paint finish, I would opt for the Total Swirl Remover and some foam polishing pads.

Where does Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep fall into?
    This is a SOLVENT for chemically stripping paint AFTER all the polishing steps and BEFORE installing a ceramic paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    If this is a daily driver, Blackfire One Step will get you amazing results, and eliminate 3 products and steps. If you want added protection, add BeadMaker. There is a thread about long term Beadmaker almost building up. I am seeing the same thing but not as long term

Your thought process and research is awesome.

I'm not sure if your experienced or not, I'll assume this is your first, if not my apologies for getting on my soapbox!!

I do not know what type of car or color you have but I would go with BF One Step since it will do pretty much everything you need. Also, if this is your first time, BF One Step is bubba proof, meaning you arent going to mess it up!!

Your steps would include:
    Step 1 Wash Step 2 Iron X, Step 3 Clay (if this is your first time and depending on car) I would opt for the BF Mitt, it's awesome!...step 4 rewash the residue off the car, Step 5 would be take care of your step 3, 4, 5 with BF One Step, Step 6 would be the Wax Or Sealant.

Wash Media is kind of up in the air, I've used Megs for a long time but I just switched to BF a couple of weeks ago with great results.

Step 6 The Wax or Sealant would depend on "what" you're looking for...super high gloss with short term durability (2 months) or good gloss with long term durability (up to 6 months). If you want the high gloss look, then I would recommend a good Carnauba based wax from Pinnacle or Wolfgang (im not familiar with their line-up)...it will light-up the night!! If you want a little more durability, then I would recommend Sonax PNS...this is a VERY Good Sealant with great self cleaning ability, stupid water beading ability, very good shine (not as "glassy" as wax). I havent used the SIO2 Products but based on Mike P's recommendation, Wolfgang has a very good SIO2 product suite.

I have gone through the exact dilemma...and just updated my car (2015 black acura TLX) about 3-4 weeks ago. Originally I used BF One Step with great/super results and topped it off with PNS and maintained with Sonax BSD...car looked amazing.

Being a newb, after a few months of reading what everyone is doing, trying, etc...I decided it was time to jump in...head first and not knowing where the bottom was!! I repolished (light) my car with Pinnacle Polish and then topped it with two coats of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax...the results are amazing, it lights up the night sky (ok over dramatic!), slick feeling, beads water like mad, self cleaning is very good...and I'm completely satisfied or blown away with the results. I've since applied another light coat of wax and now use Crystal Mist as a QD...stuff is amazing!!

I'm sure Wolfgang has similar product as Pinnacle, but i would first and foremost consider BF One Step, especially if this is your first time.

By the way....welcome to AGO!!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

@Mike

Can you chime out about BLACKFIRE One Step? I read your review and it's quit apparent that this product rocks

Similar results with way less effort and cheaper? That means I can strike-through Step #4 Swirl Remover Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and/or Step #5 Finishing Polish Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and Step #6 Sealant
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

My goal is not to enter a deep rabbit hole. In other words, I don't plan to invest in notorious Griot's 6" ROP, even though I read Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips and Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips. I hope just to get by with Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth, unless you recommend something better?

Mike Phillips

@Mike

Can you chime out about BLACKFIRE One Step? I read your review and it's quit apparent that this product rocks
    A few years ago, I tested a product for this company and then gave them my feedback.

We all call it BLACKFIRE One Step.

And yes, it rocks. If it didn't, I wouldn't use it myself or show it in all my classes.

Similar results with way less effort and cheaper?

That means I can strike-through Step #4 Swirl Remover Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and/or Step #5 Finishing Polish Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and Step #6 Sealant Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?
    Not exactly sure what you're talking about.

Don't take something really simple and make it Rocket Science.

If the paint on your car is THIN - you're going to "strike through" even if you're working by hand with butter.

My goal is not to enter a deep rabbit hole. In other words, I don't plan to invest in notorious Griot's 6" ROP, even though I read

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

and

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Both of those are very in-depth articles with MORE information than you'll ever find on a Facebook Group.

I hope just to get by with Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth, unless you recommend something better?
    Nope, those are great towels.

Again, I use them myself and show them in my classes. I don't have a history in the car detailing world of leading people astray.

Do what it takes to get the BLACKFIRE One Step and a slew of foam polishing pads. Like others, you will find what I have written and all the pictures I've shared are ACCURATE.

Accurate - that's my writing style.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's unclear to me whether BLACKFIRE One Step can perform as well as 3 Wolfgang products. We are talking about saving many hours of labor since I plan to do 2 cars This is what I meant by strike-through 3 Wolfgang products.
    I'm pretty sure that Griot's 6" ROP contributed to an amazing result. However, I plan to use nothing but Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth. Can this be achieved with great results? If not, perhaps I should stick to 3 step process with Wolfgang products with the same Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth? Since BLACKFIRE One Step is AIO product, can this be applied with 2 coats?

Post Thanks / Like

Which products are recommended to remove fingerprints/dust and not penetrate sealants, waxes or ceramic coatings when it comes to longevity?
    I came across CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser (IPA) and Griots Garage Speed Shine Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Which products are recommended to remove fingerprints/dust and not penetrate sealants, waxes or ceramic coatings when it comes to longevity?
    I came across CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser (IPA) and Griots Garage Speed Shine Detailer
    I would choose a QD that is intended to be used with you Sealant/Wax that you use. For my wifes X3, I used Sonax PNS so I use BSD for the QD. For my TLX, I have Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax so use their Crystal Mist as a QD since it's contains Carnauba. Personally I like to stay within a product line...synergy. I have used Griots SSD in the past, great stuff!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast