autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

First Black car-choosing a wax

I bought a 2014 Ford Mustang GT in black that is being shipped from Dallas to me in the Cincinnati area. I've never had a black car and this one will be a bit of a garage queen. I know carnauba waxes are rated higher for dark colors but there are a plethora of choices. I want it to look awesome- my daily driver is a white Chevrolet truck so this Mustang will be the opposite color-wise. I love going to cars and coffee so I want to look good. I'm debating between Wolfgang Fusion, Blackfire BlackIce, Blackfire Midnight Sun, Wolfgang Souveran, and Griot's Best of Show paste.

What''s the consensus on the best on black? I use Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 on my truck.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Black car-choosing a wax

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post
    I bought a 2014 Ford Mustang GT in black that is being shipped from Dallas to me in the Cincinnati area. I've never had a black car and this one will be a bit of a garage queen. I know carnauba waxes are rated higher for dark colors but there are a plethora of choices. I want it to look awesome- my daily driver is a white Chevrolet truck so this Mustang will be the opposite color-wise. I love going to cars and coffee so I want to look good. I'm debating between Wolfgang Fusion, Blackfire BlackIce, Blackfire Midnight Sun, Wolfgang Souveran, and Griot's Best of Show paste.

What''s the consensus on the best on black? I use Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 on my truck.
    I like Fuzion, WDGPS, Supernatural, CG 50/50, Purple Haze, but on black, the WDGPS is hard to beat.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

3. Thanks 01GreyStangGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Souveran, BlackIce, Fuzion, Collinite 915 or any of Dodo Juice Supernatural/Blue Velvet/Purple Haze/Black Widow. PBL Reserve Wax I just got but haven’t used, wish I could recommend it because I trust it’s nice.

5. Thanks 01GreyStangGT thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Unless you've seen it in person, I'd guess there's a good chance she's going to need some polishing to perfect the paint to your standards and in order to use any of the waxes listed so far.

Everything listed so far is a "Show Car Wax" or Non-Cleaning Wax. This means they should only be used on perfect paint.

If it were me, I'd get a some BLACKFIRE One Step and start by,

Washing
    Claying
    Machine applying BLACKFIRE One Step

And then once you're happy with how the paint looks, top it with one of the above listed products.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

7. Thanks 01GreyStangGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post

Hello to a fellow Buckeye!

IMO I would work on the polish to get it fully corrected and glowing. The key to the gloss is there. Once done, honestly, Ceramic Coat it. You'll love the properties of a coating even on a garage queen. If you are really interested in using a Wax, I have some BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Montan Sealant Wax that I don't use any more. Buy me a lunch and BS about some cars and it's yours. I'm in the area monthly. That said, I'm still super happy with coatings.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Thanks 01GreyStangGT thanked for this post
    Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots 3-1 wax, followed by Best of Show, liquid or paste.

11. Thanks 01GreyStangGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Unless you've seen it in person, I'd guess there's a good chance she's going to need some polishing to perfect the paint to your standards and in order to use any of the waxes listed so far.

Everything listed so far is a "Show Car Wax" or Non-Cleaning Wax. This means they should only be used on perfect paint.

If it were me, I'd get a some BLACKFIRE One Step and start by,

Washing
    Claying
    Machine applying BLACKFIRE One Step

And then once you're happy with how the paint looks, top it with one of the above listed products.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Thanks for responding Mike-
    It's coming from CarMax- I fully intend on decontaminating/ correcting before using any of those waxes. It's low miles so hopefully it was someone else's garage queen and I don't have to correct too much. You have taught me well. I followed you here from Meguiar's Online.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White