autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight hazing prevention

I know that headlight eventually haze over when UV light overcome the protection coating that comes with the car. I was trying to find a way to prevent or delay the inevitable yellowing of the lens. Supposedly, the actual coating used in headlight lens are a compound that is cured using UV and is impractical to apply at home. The home alternative appears to be:

1. Some sort of film like Xpel. Most people appear to have good luck with this method and tend to be pretty permanent. The problem is that headlight appears to be a bubble shape and would be really difficult to apply the film over.

2. Headlight cover. People who tried this indicated that a ring develops around the outer-edge of the light where it is not covered by the cover.

3. Clearcoat - spray a clear coat over the light to recreate the protection layer. The 2K one will last longer but require a carbon respirator. The 1k won't last more than a few years.

4. Polymer product like Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating, which only last a few months and have to be reapply. This seems tedious, since it's a spray which means I have to mask the light to prevent overspray.

I am thinking of hiring a detailer to put on the film, other post suggested a stronger coating like opti-clear, but different poster seems to have different opinion on how long it last.

The other possibility is to wax the lens. I was wondering if that actually works?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight hazing prevention

Wax/sealants are pointless

I personaly do ceramic coating if headlight doesn't need sanded,
    If it needs sanded I'll do a wipe on UV coating or even a clear coat

I've never bothered with PPF..I know solvents in the adhesive can mess the lens up..
    Youll also have to worry about dirt getting inside and lifting film up
    Plastic film typically yellows over time also
    These two cons im sure is dependant on quality vs non quality films

What I'd probably try would be Opti spray PPF

Post Thanks / Like

I do the 2K clearcoat spray after fully reconditioning bad lenses. Works great and longer term.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had PPF on my headlights for quite some time now. I did the same on my dad's 2015 Impala. I did this for the exact same reason in protecting the headlights and preserving them as both sit outside 24/7 in the So Cal sun. They have been on the headlights for roughly 3 years on both cars and there are no signs of yellowing or of them peeling up. The edges are also clean.

I have used it in the past as well and I saw no signs of damage upon removal of the film. Film will outlast a coating as well as protect the lights from rock chips.

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have had PPF on my headlights for quite some time now. I did the same on my dad's 2015 Impala. I did this for the exact same reason in protecting the headlights and preserving them as both sit outside 24/7 in the So Cal sun. They have been on the headlights for roughly 3 years on both cars and there are no signs of yellowing or of them peeling up. The edges are also clean.

I have used it in the past as well and I saw no signs of damage upon removal of the film. Film will outlast a coating as well as protect the lights from rock chips.
    Agree 100% it's the best route to go IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes The Guz liked this post