autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Want to go overkill on second hand wheels - Chrome plated C5 Z06 Vette wheels.

Hi everyone,

I found this forum last week when doing research on how best to clean up and preserve my new-to-me wheels. They are chrome plated, and the previous owner took great care of them, no curb rash or any major pitting.

What started me on my research is the "treadside" of the barrel (basically the part hidden by the tire) has some spots of chrome starting to flake, and one spot on the "inside" of the barrel, behind the face.

I read a few different articles on how to address this. One of them I wasn't too sure about, because it said to take 180 grit sandpaper to the flaking area... and that seemed really coarse. Even though it was on a website full of articles on car care (not a forum), I figured that had to be a typo. So found this article:

How to Fix Peeling on Chrome-Plated Wheels | It Still Runs

This one seems marginally more sensible. However it says "spray the wheel with a silicone based wheel sealer". Well, all of the silicone based wheel sealers I found were either waxes/pastes, or many mentions of RTV (used when assembling multi-piece wheels). I found this site and started searching and reading up on products and articles, though many of the posts I read were around a decade old (for example, Mckee's 37 was not called that... and it was very confusing trying to find the product before I realized there was a name change).

A lot of the articles here also used other shorthand acronyms, only some of them I've been able to figure out (like PB is Poorboy).

Anyhow, here's my plan. I know this might seem over the top, but while the wheels are off the car and have no tires on them, I want to do as much as possible to make upkeep easier down the road. I also understand there is a difference between "minimum" "what professionals do" (or "over the top" for hobbists like me), "diminishing returns" and "pointless". I'm okay with diminishing returns. If something is pointless, please educate me in the post so I understand why.

Also, please offer recommendations on products. I've picked up on some common threads, but given how old some of the info I have been consuming is, there could be better stuff out there! Especially if I accidentally pick something that may damage chrome!

My plan:
    1. Damp cloth to carefully clean around the peeling chrome areas
    2. Clear epoxy to put the thinnest 'glaze' I can over the peeling/cracked areas. None of it is big enough to lift like a flap to put epoxy under it.
    3. After epoxy cures, scrub wheel with nylon brush and Dawn.
    4. Use Griot's wheel cleaner (I have this product, use it on my daily driver, love it. Open to other suggestions)
    5. Apply a ceramic "nano coating" (like you use on paint) to them. I found options like Carpro CQuartz DLX, Gyeon Rim, and Cquk? All from a thread here on applying ceramic to chrome Harley parts. I don't know if these products are the type of ceramic I'm thinking of (like this stuff from AvalonKing - The Truth About Ceramic Coating | AvalonKing ) or if it's the stuff more similar to what JetHot and Keracoat put on.
    6. Apply McKeey's 37 over the nano coat ceramic stuff.

Then once a quarter I can wash it with Griot's tire, and use McKee's 37, and figure twice a year use a slightly stronger cleaner to take off any McKee's, then reapply the ceramic nanocoat, and then a fresh layer of Mckees?

Thoughts?

Here is a pic of my wheels:

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Want to go overkill on second hand wheels - Chrome plated C5 Z06 Vette wheels.

(sorry if this springs up again. I typed it up earlier and hit submit. but it never appeared. I checked my profile to see if I somehow posted it in the wrong place)

I recently bought a set of chrome plated C5 Z06 Wheels. The chrome on the face of the wheel is perfect. I did find a few small spots where the chrome is bubble/flaking, one is on the 'treadside' of the barrel. The other is on the back of the barrel behind the face. I've been reading posts here and in other places, trying to find the best way to clean, prep, and protect the wheels before I put the tires on.

I'm hoping for some recommendations on products, as a lot of the threads I found when searching are about a decade old, so I know products have changed. I know this might seem like overkill, but I'm okay with that, even "diminishing returns". I just want to avoid "completely pointless".

1. Use a damp cloth to carefully clean around the chrome.
    2. Use clear epoxy to lightly glaze over the chrome, the spots aren't bad enough to lift and epoxy under it.
    3. After it cures, use Dawn and nylon brush to scrub the wheel off.
    4. Use Grigot's wheel cleaner (I have it for my daily driver, I like it, but open to suggestions)
    5. Here's where I could use some advice and help. I have read that ceramic nano coatings can bind to chrome. With it being near brakes, I didn't know if I could still use it. I read a thread here about ceramic coatings being used on Harley parts, but that was a very old thread, and I think the ceramic coatings they were talking about would not be clear like the modern ones that are used on car paint. Product recommendations welcome! I was looking at Sonax CC36??
    6. Top that off with McKee's 37?

This way I figure, once a quarter I can use McKee's, and twice a year I can use a slightly stronger cleaner to take the old McKee's off, reapply the ceramic stuff, then reapply McKee's? Thoughts?

Thanks!

(now that I see my thread appeared, here's a pic to my wheels. I don't know what stopped it before. Maybe my login timed out?)
    Last edited by Trinten; 08-26-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added pic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want to go overkill on second hand wheels - Chrome plated C5 Z06 Vette wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinten View Post
    (sorry if this springs up again. I typed it up earlier and hit submit. but it never appeared. I checked my profile to see if I somehow posted it in the wrong place)

I recently bought a set of chrome plated C5 Z06 Wheels. The chrome on the face of the wheel is perfect. I did find a few small spots where the chrome is bubble/flaking, one is on the 'treadside' of the barrel. The other is on the back of the barrel behind the face. I've been reading posts here and in other places, trying to find the best way to clean, prep, and protect the wheels before I put the tires on.

I'm hoping for some recommendations on products, as a lot of the threads I found when searching are about a decade old, so I know products have changed. I know this might seem like overkill, but I'm okay with that, even "diminishing returns". I just want to avoid "completely pointless".

1. Use a damp cloth to carefully clean around the chrome.
    2. Use clear epoxy to lightly glaze over the chrome, the spots aren't bad enough to lift and epoxy under it.
    3. After it cures, use Dawn and nylon brush to scrub the wheel off.
    4. Use Grigot's wheel cleaner (I have it for my daily driver, I like it, but open to suggestions)
    5. Here's where I could use some advice and help. I have read that ceramic nano coatings can bind to chrome. With it being near brakes, I didn't know if I could still use it. I read a thread here about ceramic coatings being used on Harley parts, but that was a very old thread, and I think the ceramic coatings they were talking about would not be clear like the modern ones that are used on car paint. Product recommendations welcome! I was looking at Sonax CC36??
    6. Top that off with McKee's 37?

This way I figure, once a quarter I can use McKee's, and twice a year I can use a slightly stronger cleaner to take the old McKee's off, reapply the ceramic stuff, then reapply McKee's? Thoughts?

Thanks!
    No issues with Gyeon Rim here. 12 months. High heat resistant. Finished this Denali today...

Good luck

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want to go overkill on second hand wheels - Chrome plated C5 Z06 Vette wheels.

Thanks Ryan!

That is an amazing finish! It lasted 12 months?!
    Does it just help with the amazing look, or does it help prevent brake dust from sticking? I'd like to be able to take a damp clothe and gently wipe them down after a drive (wouldn't we all? lol).

5. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trinten View Post
    Thanks Ryan!

That is an amazing finish! It lasted 12 months?!
    Does it just help with the amazing look, or does it help prevent brake dust from sticking? I'd like to be able to take a damp clothe and gently wipe them down after a drive (wouldn't we all? lol).
    Yes it does. Can often spray off with water. Definitely more than just looks. According to Gyeon it does. The client will pick it up Wednesday after the rain. But the maintenance washes I do for my boss... holds up killer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app