autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which shampoo to use for paint correction prep?

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Just my opinion...

I don't understand the concern over soaps prior to a paint correction. Especially when you're going to do iron removal, claybar, and IPA wipe steps as you have stated. Those steps along with the polishing you will be doing will certainly negate any effects or left behind residues from whatever soap you use for the initial wash and/or any previously applied waxes or sealants.

Again, that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I was thinking the same thing
    Agree as well. The polishing alone will eliminate anything already on the vehicle, to include a paint coating which clay and iron removers won't remove.

I only have one car wash shampoo (Optimum Car Wash) and use it for everything regardless of what I'm doing to the car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also agree.

When planning to machine polish, don't worry about soap. Use whatever soap is your favorite.

Mine happen to be Meg's Hyper Wash, and Optimum Car Wash as mentioned above.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought there may have been a specific or recommended shampoo to use to help with the surface prep for paint correction.

I’ve noticed some dedicated shampoos like Adams Strip Wash or Chemical Guys Clean Slate, again wasn’t sure if these products were a necessity for the process I’m going to undertake.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cheekyage View Post
    I thought there may have been a specific or recommended shampoo to use to help with the surface prep for paint correction.

I’ve noticed some dedicated shampoos like Adams Strip Wash or Chemical Guys Clean Slate, again wasn’t sure if these products were a necessity for the process I’m going to undertake.

Thanks.
    These products are fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them if you already have other soaps.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Agree as well. The polishing alone will eliminate anything already on the vehicle, to include a paint coating which clay and iron removers won't remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Just my opinion...

I don't understand the concern over soaps prior to a paint correction. Especially when you're going to do iron removal, claybar, and IPA wipe steps as you have stated. Those steps along with the polishing you will be doing will certainly negate any effects or left behind residues from whatever soap you use for the initial wash and/or any previously applied waxes or sealants.

Again, that's just my opinion.
    You are absolutely right. Use any dedicated car soap you like. Paint correction will remove any kind of leftover residue. Once the paint is sealed, then you should use a soap that rinses cleanly.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... I don't understand all those suggestions.

The reason for using a PH neutral car soap is to protect the wax or sealant on the car.

If you are gonna do paint correction, you want that wax or sealant gone. It will prevent you from actually correcting the paint until it is removed.

My suggestion would be to go with the most agressive soap you have. You can also use an APC or degreaser for this.

My process for paint correction is this:
    1- Snow foam the car using car and boat soap. This an alkalyne soap that helps break down the sealant. You can also use a degreaser, APC or even Dawn for this step.
    2- Chemical decontaminations steps (Iron Remover, Tar Remover, Sap remover if needed, waterspot remover if needed)
    3- Wash the vehicle. I normaly do a rinseless since I work in the sun most of the time but a normal wash can be done here. If you do a normal wash, I would use a degreaser type soap again here
    4- Clay the vehicle if the paint is still contaminated
    5- Grease and wax remover. You can use many things here: Gtechniq Panel wipe, IPA, Mineral Spirit, Lacquer Thinner, what ever you have. The goal is to kill the rest of the sealant (or wax).

Hope this helps.

9. Thanks cheekyage thanked for this post
    Likes cheekyage liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12