autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP! Can't get rid of haze

After polishing to remove light swirls, scratches and baked-in mud from my truck, I cant get rid of the haze. It's a 2012 F150 Tuxedo black. It's always been cared for, coated, maintained but after spending several weeks with 90% of it's time being off-road, it was time to do some correcting. It has mud stains that have been baked in the sun and scratches from weeds, bushes, thorns, etc.
    So yesterday I washed and clayed the vehicle and wiped down with IPA that I normally use. I started out using a white hex logic pad with Griots Correcting Cream with the Griots BOSS 15mm polisher on speed 5. After 3-4 passes, the imperfections were removed (including the mud stains) from the hood test section. So I moved on and completed the hood. Using the same setup (with a fresh pad), I went to the driver side. For some reason, the residue was VERY hard to remove. I even gave it some extra time to cure. After removing it, there was pretty bad haze. Not too concerned, I moved onto the door. This time it was even MORE difficult to remove and the leftover haze was way worse. Wiped the panels down with my IPA and CarPro Eraser with no change. So I thought I'd change pads.
    I tried an orange hex logic pad with Griots correcting cream. Orange hex logic pad with Griots perfecting cream. White and orange hex logic pad with Griots complete compound. No change, the haze was still there. I even tried a blue hex logic pad with Griots correcting cream. Nada. (edit: I also tried a mf pad with perfecting cream). Wiped it down with IPA and CarPro eraser again and still nothing. Out of desperation I tried spraying Megs waterless wash/wax on it. It actually removed much of the haze, but since I plan on coating with CarPro cquartz when I'm done, I cant leave a spray wash/wax on as my lsp. I also tried to wash the panels again using dawn and mf mitt. Haze is still there. It was getting late and I was beyond frustrated so I gave up for the night.
    So to start today, I picked up some Megs Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish to see if that would help. Nobody had 105 or 205 on the shelves and of course I cant order anything online in time.
    The mud stains that were removed from the hood yesterday, are now back! I dont get it! Any suggestions? My only thought for today is to slow the speed down on the polisher.
    I tried to get the haze with the camera, but it was difficult to capture...this is the best I could do:
    HELP!  Can't get rid of haze-panel-1-jpgHELP!  Can't get rid of haze-panel-2-jpgHELP!  Can't get rid of haze-panel-3-jpgHELP!  Can't get rid of haze-hood-mud-stains-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP! Can't get rid of haze

What other pads do you have?

CarPro Essence on a white/softer polishing pad and you'll be golden. It's a great base for their coatings.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

If the product residue is difficult to remove, shrink your work area. You are getting a lot of paint residue and that makes it difficult. Slow the machine down, and clean the pad after every section. Also, you are only using a compound? If the compound removes the defects only to leave haze, you need to polish and refine. Don’t condemn the product until you’re certain you’ve dialed everything else.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    If the product residue is difficult to remove, shrink your work area. You are getting a lot of paint residue and that makes it difficult. Slow the machine down, and clean the pad after every section. Also, you are only using a compound? If the compound removes the defects only to leave haze, you need to polish and refine. Don’t condemn the product until you’re certain you’ve dialed everything else.
    Yes, just the compounds I mentioned. Since I picked up Megs Ultimate Polish, I'll start off with that on the panels with a white hex logic. Thanks! Heading out to the garage as we speak. Thankfully it's only 98 degrees in Dallas today

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    What other pads do you have?

CarPro Essence on a white/softer polishing pad and you'll be golden. It's a great base for their coatings.
    Hex logic yellow, orange, white, blue, black. Griots BOSS microfiber, orange, black.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you have some kind of film on the paint. When you mentioned that you let the Correcting Cream cure a little longer. Do you let this dry before you wipe it off after you have polished normaly too?

Seems also a little strange that you didn't get the mud stain off from the washing and claying. What car soap do you use when you wash it before polishing? And did the clay glide easier and easier the more aggitations you did and so it glide very easy with the clay lube when you moved to a new section?
    That the mud stain came back the day after. Happens sometimes with water spots like it looks like on the hood picture has done. It can be that where you drove in the mud is very high of minerals. So it baked into water spots. And since the mud seems to be been on for a while. It's a very good at holding moisture. And this can in worst cases soaking in to the clearcoat.
    Did you drive in that red mud that is in some places in the US?

What protection did you have before and how long has it been on?

Many questions and no solutions LOL. But we need to be knowing a little more to figure out what can have happened. Have you polishing the truck before?

And don't use dawn as a wash at any time. It's very hard to rinse it off and leaves a lot of surfactants left on the paint.

Do you have any alkaline based degreaser at hand or an APC? If so do a test spot and spray it on the paint and lightly wipe it in with a mf towel after a couple of minutes. Then rinse it off thoroughly. And if it didn't make any difference in the spot. Use a tar and tree sap remover like Stoners Tarminator. Spray it on the paint and be carefull to not get any run off on plastic trim. Wipe it in directly with a mf towel and see if it's desolves anything. Do the test spot low on a side panel. And don't let them dry on the paint and you will be fine with useing these chemical products.

Is the temperature high where you are at and is it humid conditions?

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcwilly View Post
    Hex logic yellow, orange, white, blue, black. Griots BOSS microfiber, orange, black.
    Use the hex logic white pads with Essence and thank me later any good fine polish will work but I love essence.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mud stains? looks like the same bird etchings ive been dealing with.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Seems like you have some kind of film on the paint. When you mentioned that you let the Correcting Cream cure a little longer. Do you let this dry before you wipe it off after you have polished normaly too?

Seems also a little strange that you didn't get the mud stain off from the washing and claying. What car soap do you use when you wash it before polishing? And did the clay glide easier and easier the more aggitations you did and so it glide very easy with the clay lube when you moved to a new section?
    That the mud stain came back the day after. Happens sometimes with water spots like it looks like on the hood picture has done. It can be that where you drove in the mud is very high of minerals. So it baked into water spots. And since the mud seems to be been on for a while. It's a very good at holding moisture. And this can in worst cases soaking in to the clearcoat.

Many questions and no solutions LOL. But we need to be knowing a little more to figure out what can have happened. Have you polishing the truck before?

And don't use dawn as a wash at any time. It's very hard to rinse it off and leaves a lot of surfactants left on the paint.

Do you have any alkaline based degreaser at hand or an APC? If so do a test spot and spray it on the paint and lightly wipe it in with a mf towel after a couple of minutes. Then rinse it off thoroughly. And if it didn't make any difference in the spot. Use a tar and tree sap remover like Stoners Tarminator. Spray it on the paint and be carefull to not get any run off on plastic trim. Wipe it in directly with a mf towel and see if it's desolves anything. Do the test spot low on a side panel. And don't let them dry on the paint and you will be fine with useing these chemical products.

/ Tony
    So I started yesterday around 4pm and worked through the night until 7:30 this morning. And I still didn't get it all done. This is BY FAR the most difficult, mind-blowing and aggravating correction I have EVER done. And of all things, it's my personal vehicle, wth lol

To answer some of your questions
    I used CG Honeydew shampoo. Same shampoo/soap I've used on over a dozen vehicles over the past few months. When I clayed it, it didnt have any grit or grab to it at all no matter what I went over which I thought was odd but there was crud being collected on the clay.
    I let one compound section cure a little longer just to try something different to get better results.....not something I normally do when compounding/polishing. And unfortunately, yes, it is/was the reddish clay mud that was on my truck. It was covered pretty good too because I got stuck more than once lol.
    Honestly, I can't remember what the last thing was I protected it with...that was my first thought lol. I applied HydroSilex months ago and have since been topping that with liquid wax or glaze depending on my mood that day. Probably a glaze.
    And I forgot to mention, I did do a test with acid based wheel cleaner with a mf on the hood with no change.
    I also forgot to mention that I applied one of the Griot's compounds (forgot which one) and it was like I smeared on Elmers glue. That was fun.
    I was completely friggin stumped! And frustrated. Still am. EVERY SINGLE panel behaved differently than the previous one as I moved along the truck. I could correct the finish with any compound/pad combo depending on the degree of correction. But every single inch would have a haze after the correction which was a guessing game at each section on what method would work to remove it. The front quarter panel came clear with a hex white pad, Ultimate compound on speed 6. The front/upper section of the driver door came clear with orange hex pad, Ultimate compound on speed 3 with zero pressure. The bottom/front section of the same door came clear with orange hex pad between speed 4-5. Part of my tailgate came clear with a hex YELLOW and Ultimate polish on speed 4! It was guessing game on the entire truck. There was no chance at a one-step....anywhere.
    The part that really made it frustrating was after I would correct it and look it over with my light, it would look fine. BUT once I wiped it down with my IPA or Eraser or a QD, the haze would appear. I tried different dilution ratios with my IPA and different types/brands/GSM mf towels. I literally spent two hours just on the tailgate....which I thought was gonna be the easiest part. I always like the rear of any vehicle, especially a truck or SUV to look it's best since that's what people see when they're sitting behind somebody at a red light with the sun beaming down.....or at night when their headlights are hitting it....that's when you're gonna see imperfections. Or at least that's what I always focus on at red lights or driving behind somebody LOL
    In the end I got all but the hood and roof corrected and coated with Cquartz. My plan was to knock that out this evening but it's 100 degrees with a heat index of 111 so it'll have to wait lol. And a chance of rain tomorrow.
    I have never had anything remotely similar to this happen before I and I hope like hell I dont ever again lol. My garage looks like a detail shop exploded.

9. Likes Jayfro liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

/ Tony
    So I started yesterday around 4pm and worked through the night until 7:30 this morning. And I still didn't get it all done. This is BY FAR the most difficult, mind-blowing and aggravating correction I have EVER done. And of all things, it's my personal vehicle, wth lol

To answer some of your questions
    I used CG Honeydew shampoo. Same shampoo/soap I've used on over a dozen vehicles over the past few months. When I clayed it, it didnt have any grit or grab to it at all no matter what I went over which I thought was odd but there was crud being collected on the clay.
    I let one compound section cure a little longer just to try something different to get better results.....not something I normally do when compounding/polishing. And unfortunately, yes, it is/was the reddish clay mud that was on my truck. It was covered pretty good too because I got stuck more than once lol.
    Honestly, I can't remember what the last thing was I protected it with...that was my first thought lol. I applied HydroSilex months ago and have since been topping that with liquid wax or glaze depending on my mood that day. Probably a glaze.
    And I forgot to mention, I did do a test with acid based wheel cleaner with a mf on the hood with no change.
    I also forgot to mention that I applied one of the Griot's compounds (forgot which one) and it was like I smeared on Elmers glue. That was fun.
    I was completely friggin stumped! And frustrated. Still am. EVERY SINGLE panel behaved differently than the previous one as I moved along the truck. I could correct the finish with any compound/pad combo depending on the degree of correction. But every single inch would have a haze after the correction which was a guessing game at each section on what method would work to remove it. The front quarter panel came clear with a hex white pad, Ultimate compound on speed 6. The front/upper section of the driver door came clear with orange hex pad, Ultimate compound on speed 3 with zero pressure. The bottom/front section of the same door came clear with orange hex pad between speed 4-5. Part of my tailgate came clear with a hex YELLOW and Ultimate polish on speed 4! It was guessing game on the entire truck. There was no chance at a one-step....anywhere.
    The part that really made it frustrating was after I would correct it and look it over with my light, it would look fine. BUT once I wiped it down with my IPA or Eraser or a QD, the haze would appear. I tried different dilution ratios with my IPA and different types/brands/GSM mf towels. I literally spent two hours just on the tailgate....which I thought was gonna be the easiest part. I always like the rear of any vehicle, especially a truck or SUV to look it's best since that's what people see when they're sitting behind somebody at a red light with the sun beaming down.....or at night when their headlights are hitting it....that's when you're gonna see imperfections. Or at least that's what I always focus on at red lights or driving behind somebody LOL
    In the end I got all but the hood and roof corrected and coated with Cquartz. My plan was to knock that out this evening but it's 100 degrees with a heat index of 111 so it'll have to wait lol. And a chance of rain tomorrow.
    I have never had anything remotely similar to this happen before I and I hope like hell I dont ever again lol. My garage looks like a detail shop exploded.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a cleaner wax meguiars white wax or mirror bright over the counter stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast