autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

porter cable white pad on the xt

Well, my pads i will be using for polishing hasn't come in yet and will be waiting for this. Meanwhile, I'll just be wash, iron clay, tar, claybar and then put white wax from meguiars. I wanna use the porter cable to apply the wax and wondering following.

1. The white pad it comes with , heard it's kind of useless but would it work on applying wax and buffing it out?
    2. Should I just do 1-2 speed or higher
    3. I'll be doing like like 2x2 or 2x3 feet per waxing and wondering how often should i clean the pad and how to clean it off . I don't have access to the compressed blowers.

Then when my pads and polish comes I'll just redo the steps and polish. Been practicing polish using the book i got on here so seems im holding off on it as need to practice bit more. Wax seems more safe to just apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: porter cable white pad on the xt

Your right about the white pad being useless. You can use it to apply wax if you can't wait for some better pads. Spread the wax like buttering bread. Remove by hand unless you have a bonnet to go over the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used it in the past just for applying an AIO to my hood, roof and trunk. It feels like it’s between Lake Country’s white and orange pad, slightly stiffer than the white but not as hard as the orange. It’s thicker than any other pad I’ve seen and not great for the PC as it bogs down easily.

Worked in 6-8 passes I was able to correct the paint slightly and enhance the finish. To polish I wouldn’t go any lower than 5.5-6 on the speed setting, to spread wax might need to use 3-3.5 to make sure the pad is rotating. I have a large selection of pads but figured it wouldn’t hurt to try, it was sitting in the PC box for almost 6 years.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

4. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that pad is abrasive and should not be used to apply a wax. I’d just wait for your pads to come which should be soon. If you really want to wax now then do it by hand.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes animescreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah didnt seem that soft heard its really good for nothing but im sure i can use it to clean something around the house. How many pads should i have to wax ? It seems i only ordered one which means ill be cleaning it every 2x2 feet with no air compressor.. any suggestion on how to clean as i go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    Yeah didnt seem that soft heard its really good for nothing but im sure i can use it to clean something around the house. How many pads should i have to wax ? It seems i only ordered one which means ill be cleaning it every 2x2 feet with no air compressor.. any suggestion on how to clean as i go?

Your waxing and not polishing, so cleaning is not necessary unless the pad gets really dirty.

9. Likes animescreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post

No need to clean that pad while waxing, it’s different than a polishing pad that is removing clear coat and should be cleaned.
    Bruno Soares

11. Likes animescreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    I’ve used it in the past just for applying an AIO to my hood, roof and trunk. It feels like it’s between Lake Country’s white and orange pad, slightly stiffer than the white but not as hard as the orange. It’s thicker than any other pad I’ve seen and not great for the PC as it bogs down easily.

Worked in 6-8 passes I was able to correct the paint slightly and enhance the finish. To polish I wouldn’t go any lower than 5.5-6 on the speed setting, to spread wax might need to use 3-3.5 to make sure the pad is rotating. I have a large selection of pads but figured it wouldn’t hurt to try, it was sitting in the PC box for almost 6 years.
    So basically you were bit skeptical in beginning then after honing down your skills you decided to give it a shot and had no issues right? So spreading the wax, you went 5.5 to 6 speed? I tested the speed just when i opened it and got pretty started how fast it goes. Or did you mean go 3-3.5 to spread the wax. And bufffing it out use the same speed of 3 to 3.5? How did you clean as you go if used this pad alone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    No need to clean that pad while waxing, it’s different than a polishing pad that is removing clear coat and should be cleaned.
    Answered my question i had prior lol.. But the white wax i use is a AIO so its bit abrasive. So i'm guessing it will pick up things which is why cleaning as I go is probally warranted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Your waxing and not polishing, so cleaning is not necessary unless the pad gets really dirty.
    White wax has some smat abrasive in it from meguiar so its kind of polish and waxing. Maybe these all in ones you have to kind of ask lot of questions like I do lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast